The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AI: Friend or foe?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

AI: Friend or foe? Empty
PostSubject: AI: Friend or foe?   AI: Friend or foe? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2023 2:40 pm

Guys, I know you have probably been hearing a lot about AI Technology as of late.
All of the warnings about turning over too much control to it and everything. Along
with all of the possible repercussions like the loss of jobs, more surveillance on people,
as well as invasion of privacy. As well as things like facial recognition, and deep fake
technology. Plus various algorithms that can become biased in different ways and cause
people as well as society to think or believe all kinds of things. Not to mention the
worries of AI controlled weapons in the future. Where will it all lead to?

There is so much about it I don't understand, and it's really only beginning. But what
do you think about AI? What will it be like? Will it help people? Or end up being a real
problem for all of us?

You end up thinking about the futures that were in Terminator and Minority Report right?
But should we be worried? ..What do you have to say?

sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: AI: Friend or foe?   AI: Friend or foe? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2023 8:51 am

So if AI is programmed to out-think us, one day there will be enough computer speed and power for them to do it. Will they be sentient? No I don't think so, but they will be able to manipulate anything we give them access to.

AI: Friend or foe? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: AI: Friend or foe?   AI: Friend or foe? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2023 1:07 pm

sixtysix wrote:
So if AI is programmed to out-think us, one day there will be enough computer speed and power for them to do it. Will they be sentient? No I don't think so, but they will be able to manipulate anything we give them access to.

Great stuff Gary, and it’s that last part with manipulation that scares me maybe most. Shocked
Because it’s what AI will manipulate is the question right?! Idea We just don’t know and
that is the scariest part because we really don’t know. Or know what AIs will be like in
the future and they seem to get more and more advanced with each passing day. So
it’s all kind of crazy, or scary when you think about it.

Honestly, it’s the speed at which they are improving that worries me. And you wonder
if one day we will wake up and it really will be like some kind of rise of the machines
kind of sci-fi movie sir.

Maybe we are worrying for nothing, but better safe than sorry right?! Smile

I really want to thank you for chiming in G !!!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AI: Friend or foe?   AI: Friend or foe? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AI: Friend or foe?
Page 1 of 1