The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Homage Watches

Go down 
+2
AtomicTom
Anomaly
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 12:45 pm

Musing as I drove to work today.

Didn't use to mind "homage" watches, which is just a nice way of saying knock off. Then I remembered the reason I sold my Invicta 9938 (blue dial/two tone bracelet) - because it looked like a Rolex Sub and I didn't want to be perceived as a poser in my business environment.

That rule still applies, I think, but the bigger issue for me is theft of intellectual property. Why reward a dim-wit who can't create something on his/her own and punish a genius?

From now on, knock offs (no matter what you call them) are a no-no for me - at least for future purchases (I have too many to trash them but I suppose I can sell).
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 12:58 pm

BORROWING certain elements from one watch to another is ok...

If it is a CARBON COPY sans the name on the dial, well it's like TRACING the Mona Lisa and calling it ART....

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 1:24 pm

I disagree. I love the look of, say, the Submariner but probably will never pay that much for a watch. I have no problem going with a 8926, or for the Explorer look, going for a Debaufre:
Homage Watches Debaufregmt

And it's not just LOOKS I'm concnerned with, there has to be SOME level of quality. Last fall I discovered Alpha to be complete garbage. "Looking like it" just wasn't enough.

I'm still on the hunt for a Marina Militaire, just to see if I can get to like the Panerai look on my wrist. If I'm crazy about it, the Panny hunt may begin. If not, only $150 or less at stake.
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 1:27 pm

That is a great looking watch and on my casual "Want List" until I took my new pledge this morning.
That pledge may be hard to keep!
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 2:53 pm

FreeDive wrote:
I disagree. I love the look of, say, the Submariner but probably will never pay that much for a watch. I have no problem going with a 8926, or for the Explorer look, going for a Debaufre:
Homage Watches Debaufregmt

And it's not just LOOKS I'm concnerned with, there has to be SOME level of quality. Last fall I discovered Alpha to be complete garbage. "Looking like it" just wasn't enough.

I'm still on the hunt for a Marina Militaire, just to see if I can get to like the Panerai look on my wrist. If I'm crazy about it, the Panny hunt may begin. If not, only $150 or less at stake.

Me thinking that regarless of the level of of quality in the execution (in the Debaufre's case a very good one, Invicta's in the other hand are a hit or miss thing) the watch complies almost step by step with Anomaly statement.. it is a carbon copy of the Rolie pepsi GMT, not an homage but a copy, sans the name on the dial ...the fact that we like the rendition looks, may or may not decided to pay for the real thing or have no problems with it for whatever reason/s is irrelevant, still they are stealing the design IMHO
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 5:37 pm

Anomaly wrote:

If it is a CARBON COPY sans the name on the dial, well it's like TRACING the Mona Lisa and calling it ART....

boscoe wrote:
That is a great looking watch and on my casual "Want List" until I took my new pledge this morning.

It's a noble idea Boscoe and I see where you are coming from sir ! Homage Watches Icon_smile However,
I think Alan may have hit this one out of the park !..Similar styles, and looks are
often going to be borrowed or used which seems acceptable. The exact copying
on the other hand with no care in the world is definitely wrong !..So I totally
understand this pledge you are making..it's just that the, " imitation is the highest
form of flattery " thing..has evidently been going on for a long time in the watch
industry. So as long as we can separate the similar to the exact copy themes we
might be O.K...what do you think ?

Senior Associate
TVDinner

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 5:47 pm

I love my Marina Militare. Great watch at a price I could afford. I would never ever wear a replica or fake Pan, but I like many of the MM watches.

Homage Watches Mm-2

Homage Watches Mm-1
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 6:17 pm

homage = replica. no suger coating. call a spade a spade. Just because it does not have the name on it is not a reason to call it anything but a replica.
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 6:29 pm

TVDinner wrote:
I love my Marina Militare. Great watch at a price I could afford. I would never ever wear a replica or fake Pan, but I like many of the MM watches.

Homage Watches Mm-2

Homage Watches Mm-1

pretty darn close!!!

Homage Watches PAM-90-1
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 6:41 pm

AtomicTom wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

boscoe wrote:

It's a noble idea Boscoe and I see where you are coming from sir ! Homage Watches Icon_smile However,
I think Alan may have hit this one out of the park !..Similar styles, and looks are
understand this pledge you are making..it's just that the, " imitation is the highest
form of flattery " thing..has evidently been going on for a long time in the watch

Yes, but as an "artiste" I find the theft of intellectual property akin to rape. I would be seriously pissed off if someone ripped off one of my books or articles, changed the font, the color of the cover, a couple chapter headings, a few words here and there then sold it as their own.
On the other hand, there is nothing wrong from learning from Hemmingway (or any other writer) and incorporating the tricks they taught you into your OWN work. Use the tricks, not the actual work.
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 6:53 pm

AtomicTom wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

boscoe wrote:

On that note ... it is a matter of personal taste and the environment we are in... me working in a hospital setting (as an example) and or the people a socialized with after work, I get to see lots and lots of the real deals around me, wearing an Invicta 8926 (again as an example) will sooner or later prompt the nice watch comments and the almost mandatory request for a closer look, ... .. again it goes with the territory in which we are...I feel much more comfortable wearing say, a Croton Super C Sport or a Seiko Monster, both nice solid beaters with no room for pretending ...me thinking that considering funding is not always there (at least not for me) to afford big ticket watches every year there are plenty of original options out there and even true homages in which clues are taking from the originals, without blatantly been a copy...personally, I like to put my dollars and cents together and buy as much original as I can afford, it is a matter of personal preferences at the end of the day.......

Last edited by eddiea on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 6:57 pm

boscoe wrote:

Dan,

I admire your courage. Perhaps we should develop something like this?

Homage Watches 800px-Murphy_temperance_pledge_card

I mean, look at how well temperance worked. Errr, well...we can do better. Mistakes were made but we are aware of them and informed by them. In future safeguards will be in place that prevent a similar issue from arising.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 7:08 pm

I have become Horologies Answer to Carri Nation!
Oh the humanity...
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Benarus "Homage"   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 7:11 pm

When I purchased my Moray (now gone) there was discussion of it being a copy of another watch...Here are the pictures, judge for yourselves...

70s Alpha 1000 Meter Deep Sea Automatic Men's Divers

Homage Watches Alpha-moray

2009 Benarus Moray #2...

Homage Watches DSC05358

http://cgi.ebay.com/70s-Alpha-1000-Meter-Deep-Sea-Automatic-Mens-Divers_W0QQitemZ280319460752QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL?hash=item280319460752&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1326%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 7:14 pm

boscoe wrote:
I have become Horologies Answer to Carri Nation!
Oh the humanity...

Suits.
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Nice MM TVDinner! That thing barely looks anything like a Panerai! The casual observer certainly would never be fooled. Not that that is what you are trying to do. Homage Watches Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 7:54 pm

Aqua Homer wrote:
Nice MM TVDinner! That thing barely looks anything like a Panerai! The casual observer certainly would never be fooled. Not that that is what you are trying to do. Homage Watches Icon_bounce

Mike,

You have earned Homage Watches Tiny_gold_star a Homage Watches Star+golden

for showing restraint!

Last edited by Docrwm on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Mark, the Benarus sure looks like the alpha!!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 9:26 pm

koimaster wrote:
homage = replica. no suger coating. call a spade a spade. Just because it does not have the name on it is not a reason to call it anything but a replica.

boscoe wrote:
AtomicTom wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

boscoe wrote:

Yes, but as an "artiste" I find the theft of intellectual property akin to rape. I would be seriously pissed off if someone ripped off one of my books or articles, changed the font, the color of the cover, a couple chapter headings, a few words here and there then sold it as their own.
On the other hand, there is nothing wrong from learning from Hemmingway (or any other writer) and incorporating the tricks they taught you into your OWN work. Use the tricks, not the actual work.

eddiea wrote:
AtomicTom wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

boscoe wrote:

On that note ... it is a matter of personal taste and the environment we are in... me working in a hospital setting (as an example) and or the people a socialized with after work, I get to see lots and lots of the real deals around me, wearing an Invicta 8926 (again as an example) will sooner or later prompt the nice watch comments and the almost mandatory request for a closer look, ... .. again it goes with the territory in which we are...I feel much more comfortable wearing say, a Croton Super C Sport or a Seiko Monster, both nice solid beaters with no room for pretending ...me thinking that considering funding is not always there (at least not for me) to afford big ticket watches every year there are plenty of original options out there and even true homages in which clues are taking from the originals, without blatantly been a copy...personally, I like to put my dollars and cents together and buy as much original as I can afford, it is a matter of personal preferences at the end of the day.......

You guys are making some fantastic points here ! Homage Watches Icon_smile What I am saying..for example
is that I have some Zodiac watches that although..Zodiac, also may have some similarities
to other watches out there ! It might be a dive watch look or aviation theme that is visible
in the industry !..In these cases..it's different IMHO than a full on replica which is meant
to look exactly like some other watch !..If it were up to me I'd have the original companies
and their watches in my collection ! Homage Watches Icon_biggrin I genuinely respect originality and the artists designs.
I was just saying that there tend to be ideas and themes that spread through the industry.

Senior Associate
TVDinner

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 11:09 pm

andrema wrote:
When I purchased my Moray (now gone) there was discussion of it being a copy of another watch...Here are the pictures, judge for yourselves...

70s Alpha 1000 Meter Deep Sea Automatic Men's Divers

Homage Watches Alpha-moray

2009 Benarus Moray #2...

Homage Watches DSC05358

http://cgi.ebay.com/70s-Alpha-1000-Meter-Deep-Sea-Automatic-Mens-Divers_W0QQitemZ280319460752QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL?hash=item280319460752&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1326%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

exactly..........they all (most all watches)are somewhat "homages" to another watch from another time.
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 11:19 pm

Just a note.

The 70's Alpha is not the same company that bought the name in 1993 and began producing
"homages"

Another example of a small "legit" Swiss company being used by a pretender.
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 12:40 am

Here's two Sea-Gulls from different eras...

One is a lookalike, a copy but not a fake (from the 80s):

Homage Watches Seagullriner_1

and this one is (to my mind) a true homage (respectful to the original but also fresh and original in it's own right):

Homage Watches 1251162755142731

Personally, I have no problem with lookalikes or homages, but I think it helps our understanding of the ethics involved if we use more accurate terms to differentiate between a copy (a lookalike), a fake (a straight up theft of shape and brand) and an homage (something that involves more art). I have the most respect for true homages (almost as much respect as I do for almost completely new designs--as much as such a thing is possible), I have less respect but I like some lookalikes, and I hate fakes.
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 12:55 am

AlbertaTime wrote:
it helps our understanding of the ethics involved if we use more accurate terms to differentiate between a copy (a lookalike), a fake (a straight up theft of shape and brand) and an homage (something that involves more art).

Well put Ron!
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 4:09 pm

I'm thinking real hard about getting the Phantom Seal from Getatwatch,
"Custom Made 45mm Polished Case Black Sandwich Dial with Black Numberals"
(Numberals, hahaha)
Homage Watches B_1247138100765024815

on the OxBlood Strap
Homage Watches B_1246755967656006330

With these hands:
Homage Watches B_1240733664671042146

Price: $85.00

I've seen that watch on another forum, and it looks great.
Here is G.'s watch, (he recommended Getatwatch to me)
Homage Watches User233_pic4755_1249344750
(photo credit to G.Curio)
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 5:21 pm

Someone get G. Curio back over here where REAL watch discussions are going on!

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 5:58 pm

Anomaly wrote:

I'm on it.
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 6:30 pm

I have absolutely NO problems with watches that look just like very expensive ones, but do not include the original's name/logo. Buyers like a certain style - - it's in the public domain, go ahead and produce/market a cheaper version with your own branding. Almost every buyer of the "knock-off" is unlikely to ever be a buyer of the original anyway. My two cents.

By the way, how do you guys like my GMT Master??? Homage Watches Icon_lol

Homage Watches BG3_1000
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 6:38 pm

Anomaly wrote:

I'll second that.

nismo1 ("fart in a bottle" to Invicta CS) is another candidate but I don't know him well.
Not an homage kinda guy - but has some flat out killer divers, Doxa, Zinex, etc.
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 6:43 pm

jaw wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

I'll second that.

nismo1 ("fart in a bottle" to Invicta CS) is another candidate but I don't know him well.
Not an homage kinda guy - but has some flat out killer divers, Doxa, Zinex, etc.

"Nismo1" is Sean......Yamahaki.
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 6:44 pm

Anomaly wrote:

I just sent him a P.M.
Guy is really cool!
He has alot of fun, and shares his vast knowlege willingly!
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Aqua Homer wrote:
jaw wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

I'll second that.

Cool - Thanks. That explains a lot.
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 6:57 pm

Aqua Homer wrote:

Also goes by the name "dedward"
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 6:59 pm

cali kid wrote:
TVDinner wrote:

Homage Watches Mm-2

Homage Watches Mm-1

pretty darn close!!!

Homage Watches PAM-90-1

Is this the same MM company Panerai took to court for copyright infringements? Naples Watch co.? not sure if that lawsuit is still on ...
Back to top Go down

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Here is one of my Homages that I love, it's on a Panatime Strap.
Homage Watches 100_0842
Homage Watches 100_0831
Homage Watches 100_0795

I bought it from DoWatch on eBay, but the went out of business.
That's why I'm going with Getat Watch Co. with my new one.
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 7:18 pm

pacifichrono wrote:
I have absolutely NO problems with watches that look just like very expensive ones, but do not include the original's name/logo. Buyers like a certain style - - it's in the public domain, go ahead and produce/market a cheaper version with your own branding. Almost every buyer of the "knock-off" is unlikely to ever be a buyer of the original anyway. My two cents.

By the way, how do you guys like my GMT Master??? Homage Watches Icon_lol

So glad you feel this way.
Homages were the only way for me to satisfy my desire for what was outta my reach.
Invicta Offshore Pro Diver held me over with Omega/Bond emulation till I could get the real thing.

Not my photo
Homage Watches Img2217uu2

These are holding me over quite well till the real Panny comes along - which may never happen.

IWI Marine Diver
Homage Watches MarineDiver_jaw-vi

Case: JNL WG Deal
Bracelet: IWI
Homage Watches JNL_MMBlue_jaw-vi
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Homage Watches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homage Watches   Homage Watches Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homage Watches
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next