The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Totally cool Fortis post

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Totally cool Fortis post Empty
PostSubject: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 1:53 pm

This was found at WUS in the Fortis forum - http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=337109

Hello. To mark my first post at watchuseek forums, here are some words on and pics of my Fortis 751 Squadron Limited Edition.

1. The watch itself is a Fortis B42 Marinemaster;
2. Special elements include the watch face, with the Squadron logo over the 6 o'clock marker, and the numbers 7, 5 and 1 done in yellow luminova; the owner's name laser engraved on the case, on the left; and the back, with the Squadron moto and the Limited Edition numbering;
3. This limited edition is of 99 watches, but so far only 49 have been built, the remaining numbers are on reserve for the future.
4. The package included both rubber and black leather bracelets, a light case, and a certificate (signed both by Fortis and the Squadron's Commanding Officer).

For those wondering about 751 Sqn., it's a Portuguese Air Force Search and Rescue Squadron, based near Lisbon, operating with EH-101 helicopters. When presenting the watches, they were mounted on a special frame, taken on a helo ride over the sea, winched down to the water (for their "baptism"), and then flown back to the base, to be winched down straight into the delivery ceremony.

Small details: the 751 numbers are in yellow, because that is the official color for SAR; the moto "Para Que Outros Vivam" means "So That Others May Live"; check out the link below for some nice pics.

http://estacaochronographica.blogspo...de-lisboa.html

Here are some pics:

Totally cool Fortis post A
Totally cool Fortis post B
Totally cool Fortis post C
Totally cool Fortis post 6

Totally cool Fortis post Viana10jun08
Totally cool Fortis post Embesq751

Totally cool Fortis post FortisSpaceLogo
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:00 pm

GREAT looking watch...

Looks HUGE, what are the measurements?

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:23 pm

Anomaly wrote:
GREAT looking watch...

Looks HUGE, what are the measurements?

The Marine Master from Fortis is part of the B42 line.

Style : B-42 MARINEMASTER DAY/DATE

Movement: ETA Cal. 2836-2 25 jewels Swiss Auto-wind.
Functions: Day/Date calendar, window display.
Case: Satin finish solid 316L Stainless steel.
Bezel: Solid stainless steel. Uni-Directional rotating, ratcheted, 0-60 Elapsed-Time. Black coated.
Crown: Oversized style. Factory Logo engraved/embossed.
Crystal: Flat profile. Anti-Glare treated. Sapphire.
Dial: Black color. Oversized luminous numerals and markers..
Hands: Baton style. Luminous filled.
Case Back: Factory Engraved/Raised Logo. Solid Stainless steel. Screw-down style ( threaded ).
Band: Black color. Rubber. Curves flush with case. Solid screw attaches band to case.
Clasp: Deployant style, with spring release. Factory Logo engraved/embossed.
Water Resistance: 200m/660ft/20atm.
Case Size: 42.00mm - Width & 13.00mm - Height
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:27 pm

Wow, that looks much bigger than 42mm... must have been a kid holding it. Totally cool Fortis post Icon_wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Great looking watch case and lume. 42 is good for me!
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:45 pm

Awesome watch and story!! I love that 3 hand B-42!!

I agree on the size comments...I knew that they were 42mm, but the picture didn't make sense! It looks like the person has extremely small hands!

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 3:12 pm

. . . great post and an even better story! That's what a limited edition is really all about. . . .
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Cool lookin watches.
Went hunting them down after your WUW post yesterday.
Shame they aren't just a couple mm larger.
I'm a real sucker for a military look.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm looking at my B42 chrono and my guess is that the fellow that owns it does have incredibly small hands. He is a rescue diver for the Portuguese Air Force so he's an adult.

Here are some random B42 wrist shots that I scrounged up for comparison:

Totally cool Fortis post 310783410_636f21d21e_o

Totally cool Fortis post 753004480_0bd7db6a27

Totally cool Fortis post 262022679_faf3d9417c_o

Totally cool Fortis post 2316977398_e29ecaa507

Totally cool Fortis post DSC05006
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 3:20 pm

wagon wrote:
. . . great post and an even better story! That's what a limited edition is really all about. . . .

Fortis is great about doing special issues for Squadrons. They make 99 typically with a guarantee from the Squadron that they'll by 50+ of them and any left are sold as collectors items through ADs.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Fantastic Fortis ! Totally cool Fortis post Icon_cheers Nice back story behind the watch by the way.
It's neat how they have these special watches like this. The helicopter,
and the different color on the 7,5 and 1 is excellent. What else is great,
is the thickness of the case. From that side view the watch seems very
big ! Actually it looks like the perfect size !..Thanks for the info, as well
as links Doc ! Totally cool Fortis post Icon_biggrin

merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:15 pm

Nice watch, I wish I had the opportunity to get a limited edition squadron watch when I was in the service.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:03 am

merichar wrote:
Nice watch, I wish I had the opportunity to get a limited edition squadron watch when I was in the service.

I'll bet that if you coordinated with an old unit of yours you could pull it off with Fortis. They LOVE having units do it as they use it as advertising and the units win because they buy at essentially wholesale from what I gather.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:05 am

Always love the fortis pieces but wished they were 44mm, i've got enough 42mm watches and would loke hard if it was 44-45mm! they do always look huge in pics!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:06 am

cali kid wrote:
Always love the fortis pieces but wished they were 44mm, i've got enough 42mm watches and would loke hard if it was 44-45mm! they do always look huge in pics!

I don't own one with the bezel but have been told that they overhang the case and make the watch a 44mm in reality. Might be worth asking around about as I can testify to the quality of the watches. cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 am

Docrwm wrote:
cali kid wrote:

I don't own one with the bezel but have been told that they overhang the case and make the watch a 44mm in reality. Might be worth asking around about as I can testify to the quality of the watches. cheers

you're right doc the marinemaster bezel does overhang the case, if the measure is 42mm at tha case i will start looking at them again, think the white dial watch is really cool!
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 2:34 am

Docrwm wrote:
merichar wrote:

I'll bet that if you coordinated with an old unit of yours you could pull it off with Fortis. They LOVE having units do it as they use it as advertising and the units win because they buy at essentially wholesale from what I gather.

I have heard of the Omega X33 which can still be special ordered by military units. Did'nt know Fortis did it too. Don't know too many military colleagues of mine who are really into watches though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:39 pm

cali kid wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
cali kid wrote:

you're right doc the marinemaster bezel does overhang the case, if the measure is 42mm at tha case i will start looking at them again, think the white dial watch is really cool!

The line is the B42 lineup and that is the case measurement for sure as mine is without bezel and is a solid 42mm without crowns/pushers/etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:44 pm

merichar wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
merichar wrote:

I have heard of the Omega X33 which can still be special ordered by military units. Did'nt know Fortis did it too. Don't know too many military colleagues of mine who are really into watches though.

Some examples:

Totally cool Fortis post Black-Knights-NFOx
Totally cool Fortis post Fortis_1
Totally cool Fortis post P1020577v
Totally cool Fortis post Rampagers
Totally cool Fortis post Flying-Gatorsx
Totally cool Fortis post SWTI
Totally cool Fortis post FortisOwnersClub-OfficalMember-1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 6:12 pm

OK, that is some seriously cool shit right there! I love the watch but the history behing it is even better if you consider our organization is Indiana Air Search and Rescue! That's right baby I do SAR work too! It would be real nice to have one of those but alas, the money is gone! I have always liked the loo of Fortis watches especially on the bracelet. I'm sich of the puny 42mm watches too. The minimum size should now be 44mm and go up from there! These days 40mm and 42mm looks too small. Very well executed!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 6:20 pm

sheraortho wrote:
OK, that is some seriously cool shit right there! I love the watch but the history behing it is even better if you consider our organization is Indiana Air Search and Rescue! That's right baby I do SAR work too! It would be real nice to have one of those but alas, the money is gone! I have always liked the loo of Fortis watches especially on the bracelet. I'm sich of the puny 42mm watches too. The minimum size should now be 44mm and go up from there! These days 40mm and 42mm looks too small. Very well executed!

They are excellent and the Bezel models wear more like 44mm FYI. They do have a larger watch available though.....
Totally cool Fortis post 24547104
47mm

B-47 CALCULATOR NEW
Automatic 2893-2
High-grade steel, 47 mm case diameter
Bi-directional turning bezel
Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating
on both sides
Slide-rule function, 3 time zones
Inner bezel
Individually numbered
Water-resistant 200 m / 20 bar
Lug widths 24 mm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 6:37 pm

I thought you all would be interested in a little history about SAR or Search And Rescue work. This motto was initially given to Air Force Para Rescue Jumpers or "P.J's". These guys in Vietnam were some of the bravest men on the battle field! The PJ's flew the Sikorsky HH-3E helicopter that was designed for the Navy for SAR work and was introduced in 1962. Because these machines were typically flown by the Army, they were painted jungle cammo and were mostly green so they soon got the name "Jolly Green Giants".

If a pilot or helicopter crew were shot down it's the PJ's job to go in and get them out. Within minutes of a plane going down the PJs were on their way for extraction. After aircraft flooded the area with bombs and machine gun fire to keep the VC away, the Jolly Green flew in low and slow and then hovered above the downed pilot. They would drop and line down with a PJ on it. The PJ would FIRST put the pilot on the hook and let him be brought up FIRST. After the pilot was safely in, the line went back down for the PJ. Because they were in a hover for a period of time and the HH-3E's were big, they were a serious target!
PJs were some of the bravest and most revered men in Vietnam because they went where NO ONE else would, so "That Others May Live"!

Sorry for the long explanation. This stuff is my hobby too! Thanks for reading!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 7:36 pm

Great looking watches with some really cool backstories and history. Hats off to any of you folks in the rescue bussiness!!! Totally cool Fortis post Icon_cheers Totally cool Fortis post Icon_cheers Totally cool Fortis post Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 7:44 pm

sheraortho wrote:
I thought you all would be interested in a little history about SAR or Search And Rescue work. This motto was initially given to Air Force Para Rescue Jumpers or "P.J's". These guys in Vietnam were some of the bravest men on the battle field! The PJ's flew the Sikorsky HH-3E helicopter that was designed for the Navy for SAR work and was introduced in 1962. Because these machines were typically flown by the Army, they were painted jungle cammo and were mostly green so they soon got the name "Jolly Green Giants".

If a pilot or helicopter crew were shot down it's the PJ's job to go in and get them out. Within minutes of a plane going down the PJs were on their way for extraction. After aircraft flooded the area with bombs and machine gun fire to keep the VC away, the Jolly Green flew in low and slow and then hovered above the downed pilot. They would drop and line down with a PJ on it. The PJ would FIRST put the pilot on the hook and let him be brought up FIRST. After the pilot was safely in, the line went back down for the PJ. Because they were in a hover for a period of time and the HH-3E's were big, they were a serious target!
PJs were some of the bravest and most revered men in Vietnam because they went where NO ONE else would, so "That Others May Live"!

Interesting info Brian. My hats off to the men and women that give their time to such a nobel cause. As for the watches........ Totally cool Fortis post 933578
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 8:10 pm

sheraortho wrote:

. . . You just made my day Bro'. Best read in a long time. If there's only one post a month that hits home like your's did . . . all this time spent here is well worth while!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally cool Fortis post Smiley_saluting
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 10:03 pm

sheraortho wrote:

Here's a link to article about A1C (airman first class)William H. Pitsenbarger. A PJ who served in Vietnam, he was the first enlisted airman posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. There is a movie being made about his story which will be released this year. I spent 15 years ina rescue wing and have a lot of respect for what the PJs do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Pitsenbarger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Medics are the best. Heck even a Corpsman is terrific (and he's a swabbie).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 10:56 pm

merichar wrote:
sheraortho wrote:

Here's a link to article about A1C (airman first class)William H. Pitsenbarger. A PJ who served in Vietnam, he was the first enlisted airman posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. There is a movie being made about his story which will be released this year. I spent 15 years ina rescue wing and have a lot of respect for what the PJs do.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Pitsenbarger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Pitsenbarger[/quote[/url]]

THANKS for the info and the link! What a fantastic read! The PJ's were no doubt some of the bravest guys in country!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 11:01 pm

wagon wrote:
sheraortho wrote:

. . . You just made my day Bro'. Best read in a long time. If there's only one post a month that hits home like your's did . . . all this time spent here is well worth while!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally cool Fortis post Smiley_saluting

Thanks Randy, I really am glad you liked the info! The guys that served in Vietnam are very near and dear to my heart. You all know we've restored the Huey helo and also, my uncle was in the Air Force and flew 4 tours in both Vietnam as well as Laos. My uncle has been awarded every medal and some with clusters except for the Medal of Honor! Tom is a true American hero and he's especially a hero to me! These are the reasons why I love the Vietnam veteran's!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:47 am

My business partner and mentor served two tours in country as an air borne ranger, a good friend of his and a local man Robin Miller w asndas a copter pilot was shot down over 10 times in the conflict! i will try to get the right totals and let you know bryan!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Totally cool Fortis post   Totally cool Fortis post Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Totally cool Fortis post
Page 1 of 1