The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?

Go down 
+4
andrema
jackprime1
pacifichrono
Anomaly
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Empty
PostSubject: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 3:27 pm

I don't dive, so why does water resistance or a screw down crown REALLY matter?

I don't live my daily life down to the SECOND, so does COSC really matter?

What DOES really matter?

Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 3:36 pm

We guys are just infatuated with mechanical stuff, especially if it adorns our bodies. Purely psychological, IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 3:57 pm

nope, but we all want quality in our watches, depth rating, sapphire crystals, automatic movements, are a better quality that feels good when on the wrist, like Tom said probably all psychological
the cost of a watch doesn't always mean your getting better quality though
it's like buying a car, we can have something plain to get us to where we need but we generally choose to have something better with options to make that ride enjoyable
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 4:11 pm

. . . Ron hit it really squarely.

It is what we percieve to identify ourselves. Life is all perception.
Back to top Go down
jackprime1
Senior Associate
jackprime1

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 4:12 pm

I dont think we are posers Alan but we do want the best of the best for our hard earned money. Even tho I dont dive and probably never will I want the best of the best when I am buying a watch for my own sickness...lol...
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 4:45 pm

The question is more to provoke thought, not really accusatory...grin.

I equate it to maybe buying a Ferrari, you may NEVER drive it THAT FAST, but you KNOW you can...

Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 4:45 pm

I guess the answer all depends on the intent of ones collecting ----->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1. If you buy a watch purely for a name or purely because it will get a lot of attention, they you are probably a POSER. You see many of these types around the forums (not just the TV brand guys either), they are the ones who say "I was at the grocery store and somebody grabbed my wrist and shouted "HOLY HELL, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT WATCH". They collect to get noticed.
  2. If you buy a watch because something in your head makes you attracted to a certain type of watch, then you probably are NOT a POSER...you enjoy watches for what they are -- Amazing mechanisms. You can equate this to someone who loves opera or fine art...they enjoy it for what it is, not what it makes people perceive them as.

My guess is that most of us here are Type #2. We appreciate our watches for what they are...fine instruments that happen to tell time.

Outsiders (non-watch people) may think that you are posing, but they should be able to tell the passion that you have about our hobby...if they bother to ask.

OK...I'm off to flash my bing while in my ride pumping out the latest from Young Weezie...pease out!

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Posers? No, not at all. Posers are people who pretend to be something they are not, or do things just for attention. From the threads and conversations here I'd say our infatuation with watches is not for ego stroking but mutal appreciation of great timepieces. I'm sure we can all think of one individual that might fall into the poser category.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 4:50 pm

I compare watches to motorcycles. I COULD own a Yamaha or Kawasaki....absolutely NOTHING WRONG with those scoots at all. Yes they (Harleys) are overpriced but it's what makes ME FEEL GOOD! Same with my watches. When I wear a dive watch, I want it to be what it's supposed to be....not something that looks good but fills with water if you sweat too much. It probably is all psychological, who knows for sure. I just WANT IT THAT WAY!!!

Last edited by bodypeersur1 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 4:56 pm

bodypeersur1 wrote:
I compare watches to motorcycles. I COULD own a Yamaha or Kawasaki....absolutely NOTHING WRONG with those scoots at all. Yes they are overpriced but it's what makes ME FEEL GOOD! Same with my watches. When I wear a dive watch, I want it to be what it's supposed to be....not something that looks good but fills with water if you sweat too much. It probably is all psychological, who knows for sure. I just WANT IT THAT WAY!!!

Hey Duff, what is your ride anyway?

Here's mine, it's Xtreme!

Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? 00687226000

and of course my helmet - safety first!
Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Helmet_side-789661
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Calling Denial on some of this - We're all posing to some degree.
This is an image driven society and species for that matter.

Sure we are enamored with the capabilities of a watch we will likely never experience first hand.
And yes we know that the greater the capabilities the higher likelihood of superior quality - that's just logic.

But like our cars (which are actually avatars), we choose what we want to be identified by.
We all strive to emulate some image(s) we were impressed by at some point in life - subconsciously or otherwise.
We just can't help ourselves.

On the other hand some don't care about image at all - you know 'em when you see 'em.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Docrwm wrote:
bodypeersur1 wrote:
I compare watches to motorcycles. I COULD own a Yamaha or Kawasaki....absolutely NOTHING WRONG with those scoots at all. Yes they are overpriced but it's what makes ME FEEL GOOD! Same with my watches. When I wear a dive watch, I want it to be what it's supposed to be....not something that looks good but fills with water if you sweat too much. It probably is all psychological, who knows for sure. I just WANT IT THAT WAY!!!

Hahahaha, damn nice scoot(er) Bro!!! I have a Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Classic. Not quite as nice as yours but it will do. LMAO!!!

Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? 100_0440
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 5:04 pm

bodypeersur1 wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
bodypeersur1 wrote:

Hahahaha, damn nice scoot(er) Bro!!! I have a Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Classic. Not quite as nice as yours but it will do. LMAO!!!

Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? 100_0440

Oh, your one of those guys on the Big Rides.......never mind. Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 6:29 pm

Anomaly wrote:
I don't dive, so why does water resistance or a screw down crown REALLY matter?

I don't live my daily life down to the SECOND, so does COSC really matter?

What DOES really matter?

I like the style of divers, so that answers that question. as for the rest of it: higher water resistance and COSC spces tell me that the watch was manufacturered to a more exacting standard. It's the same premise as owning a car with speed-rated tires. You will probably never drive faster than the speed ratings used for an S-rated tire (112mph), but H- (130), V- (149) and Z- (in excess of 149) rated tires are built to more exacting standards. The higher the speed rating, the better the build and the better the components used. They are more dependable and more reliable.

(and don't no one trot out a dissertation on higher speed ratings equalling better cornering, etc. - already acknowledged.)
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Great replies fellas...!

Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 6:39 pm

Probably, yes-some more than others.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 7:00 pm

merichar wrote:

Mark, dont be so hard on yourself! Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? 74725

Last edited by cali kid on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 7:08 pm

cali kid wrote:
merichar wrote:

Mark, dont be so hard on yourself! Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? 74725

Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? 450851
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 7:41 pm

All the opinions are valid here...though there is the perception that really high end watch wears are Posers.....but we all tend to buy according to our income level. I would have liked to buy into BMW and Harleys back in the 80s but never could afford them, so I stuck to Suzukis for 20 years! Then when the kevlar belts came in, Harleys looked more reliable haha! Like watches and everything else ...
Duff, only the older wealthier guys ride your bikes! and these Japanese lovers of all things Americana buy all the Harley clothing stuff too! Pretty funny! but I secretly adimire them hahaha! but for my size, I would get a 800cc.....but my dream Harley was the cafe racer one with flat bars and bikini fairing! the XR model ??? hehehe!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 7:47 pm

My whole life has been about "posing"
Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Zoolander

Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? 744742
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:11 pm

OK...what do you guys consider a POSER in the watch forum world? I would love to hear what the perception is out there!

For me it is someone who buys a watch to get attention....a big honkin gold-like watch with diamonds on it. Sure...that sounds harsh, but that is my perception!

Her is another one...somebody who buys every color variation of a watch just to show off to his watch buddies...that sounds harsh, but that is my perception!

And another...somebody who buys a watch, leaves the tags on it, takes a picture and then returns it. They then post the picture and say it is their latest watch!...that sounds harsh, but that is my perception!

And another...somebody who posts pictures of a fake watch and claims that it is the real thing...like a fake rolex or panny...most of the time these pictures aren't the clearest either...that sounds harsh, but that is my perception!

OK...I think I made my point...I think it is safe to say that there are no posers here at XMT, but there are plenty elsewhere!

Rant over... Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? 74725

Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Maybe I should change over to decaf!! Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_cheers

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:00 pm

andrema wrote:
Maybe I should change over to decaf!! Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_cheers

. . . Uh, did I touch a nerve with the word "Perception" . . ??? Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:08 pm

andrema wrote:

Nah, I like you on a daylong, bottomless, fully caffeinated cup o' joe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Visit Time Zone. Ask a question about a <$1000 watch. See what happens.

Visit Time Zone again. Ask a question about a $10,000+ watch. See what happens.

Now, let's talk about posers. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:44 pm

poser? I've seen afew of those on another forum.but for these dive watches with the deep ratings? no.its the perception of toughness.the deeper it goes,the tougher it is.I don't wear them so others can look at the wrist.as far as the car equation? well if the speedo says 180 and it only goes 178,I'll have that fucker at the dealership getting it fixed.my last bike was good for 212mph and I did tap that afew hundred times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:47 pm

My Fortis Marinemaster doesn't have a screw down crown so I don't even know what you are talking about. Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:18 pm

Don'tcha love our HOUSE?

We can have convos like this and no one acts like an ass (well maybe Andrema but hey...) Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_bounce Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? 744742 Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_twisted

Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:19 pm

Anomaly wrote:
Don'tcha love our HOUSE?

We can have convos like this and no one acts like an ass (well maybe Andrema but hey...) Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_bounce Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? 744742 Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_twisted
Hey...I resemble that remark Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_cheers

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:20 pm

andrema wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Don'tcha love our HOUSE?

Hey...I resemble that remark Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_cheers

Gotta love it when an accountant gets feisty!

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:22 pm

I don't think we are all posers with our watches. What really is important
is that YOU like your watch ! It's not what other people might think is cool.
As long as you have "that feeling" everyday about a watch or watches.
Then that's terrific ! Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_biggrin Like we have said, whether it's $20 or $20,000. It's
about what YOU enjoy ! Some people I guess do buy watches to impress
other people. However, for myself and I think many of us..We like what we
like, and that's good ! Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_cheers If it happens to have a great movement, build,
and water resistancy then that's awesome too !

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Actually,we used to give out poser points on wus.depended on how much the watch was. like for a sinn u1,it was 200 poser points. Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 11:00 pm

I definately don't think we're posers. However, Marks post about the people he thinks are posers is dead on in my opinion. We all know the types of people that buy multiples, that have to have the biggest watch available, have to have the gaudiest watch they can find and they LIVE for someone, ANY ONE, to notice their watch and then tell them how cool it is.
As far as divers go, I'm a HUGE diver fan, so much so that almost every watch I have is a diver. When it comes to depth rating, my Oris is rated to 3,800 feet. Will I ever go that deep, hell no! I don't even dive. The thing is the better rating the more exacting the standards and tighter the tolerances, ie. the better it's built. Obviously I don't need a watch with that depth rating but it'll do it is I need it to. Ultimately I don't think ANY of the members here are posers but we all know forums to go to to find a TON of posers!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 8:33 pm

MCWW wrote:
My Fortis Marinemaster doesn't have a screw down crown so I don't even know what you are talking about. Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_lol

And yet its good to 200m! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?   Are we all "POSERS" to some degree? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are we all "POSERS" to some degree?
Page 1 of 1