The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM

Go down 
+5
ericf4
Anomaly
andrema
jackprime1
TAZMAN64
9 posters
AuthorMessage
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Empty
PostSubject: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:58 pm

when i started collecting, 42mm was the norm. then the watches starting getting bigger and bigger. like a lot of people i went bigger. i saw a post here awhile back about the breitling super ocean and how people liked it but the size 42mm. this is a watch i want in my collection, but the size came in to play. so i started wearing my 42mm again and all i can say is i am so happy i didnt get rid of them. they wear so much better in everyway. if i hadnt kept them i would be stuck with nothing but a lot of 50mm , 300 plus grams paper weights that i dont wear. anyone else going back to the smaller size watches? steve
Back to top Go down
jackprime1
Senior Associate
jackprime1

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:11 am

I agree with ya...44mm up to 48mm is where I will stay. My 48mm is my Breitling SA and that will be the biggest I go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:26 am

Totally, taz. I'm dropping down to a 42, sometimes a 40. Generations of guys would agree, too! IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM 803574
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:46 am

Never left brother! Isn't it nice down here Smile

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:48 am

. . . Brother Steve, you and I have talked about this on the phone, and Man . . . ain't it the truth!!! I wear alot of 42mm watches and I think they are a really great size.

For myself, mood plays into it alot. Some mornings I have gotten dressed and put on a 48mm (largest I actually own) and looked at it and . . . . it just wasn't right for that moment. I'll grab a Monster or that gorgeous fucking Oceanaut you so graciously gave me, and VOILA . . . . PERFECT!!!!

It's certainly not to say I won't wear the 48mm, just has to fit the mood.

And besides, you happen to own some pretty nice 42's . . . .
IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM 803574
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:55 am

Wear one 40mm and i'm very happy to be in the 42-45mm range!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:31 am

Steve, I am also going back to the smaller sized watches. I went big for awhile and I did like them but I found that I preferr the smaller sizes. For me 42mm-47mm is a real good size. Not a big fan of stuff smaller than 42mm though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:40 am

TAZMAN64 wrote:
when i started collecting, 42mm was the norm. then the watches starting getting bigger and bigger. like a lot of people i went bigger. i saw a post here awhile back about the breitling super ocean and how people liked it but the size 42mm. this is a watch i want in my collection, but the size came in to play. so i started wearing my 42mm again and all i can say is i am so happy i didnt get rid of them. they wear so much better in everyway. if i hadnt kept them i would be stuck with nothing but a lot of 50mm , 300 plus grams paper weights that i dont wear. anyone else going back to the smaller size watches? steve

Steve,

Welcome back! Some of us never left cheers
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:01 am

44-46mm are the ranges of all my watches right now...

...40-42mm DOES look small for me.

I think the larger sizes are great for guys like JAW and others who can pull them off. What looks silly are these...sheeple...with 7inch wrists sporting 50mm+ IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM 91387

If you ain't like JAW with those HULK HOGAN wrists, DOWNSIZE DUDE!!!!!!!! IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_biggrin

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:04 am

I still sport a couple 50s but like Randy says it depends how I feel at the time. I still have my smallest 43 and I find that most of the time I feel like 44 to 48.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:20 am

I'm in agreement with Steve and Randy. I personally have watches in the 40-46mm range now. My Breitling Super Ocean is actually 41mm and doesn't look small at all to me. Now I have pretty good sized wrists (No Jaw by any means) and 40mm really looks classy in my opinion. One of the reasons I used to like the larger watches is because I'M FREAKIN OLD AND CAN'T SEE SO GOOD ANYMORE.............YOU SUMMABEECHEZ! IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM 744742
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:35 am

i only wear 52mm and bigger invictas as anything smaller is pansy ass summabeechez toy watches..i love me some watches the size of a hubcap with this tiny little plastic quartz movement rattling around inside.....Anyone who wears a 45mm with a automatic movement has to get their head checked....Bigger is better, Quartz is King, and Elvis does the lords work....

QUestion, WHy when I type E.Y.A.L. LALO does my post auto change to "Elvis" WTH are we protecting the Lalos name now?

ericf4 wrote:
QUestion, WHy when I type E.Y.A.L. LALO does my post auto
change to "Elvis" WTH are we protecting the Lalos name now?

Anomaly wrote: I wasn't aware of it but I will look into it
Eric... IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_scratch

I will not stand for my voice to be silenced nor my words to be abridged......The world needs a hero in the fight against all that is EVIL , the LALO must be revealed.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:06 am

ericf4 wrote:
I will not stand for my voice to be silenced nor my words to be abridged......The world needs a hero in the fight against all that is EVIL , the LALO must be revealed.

Ok Eric, we get the point...

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM 395667

Sorry Tazman!

Associate
Noisy Nova

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:27 am

I guess I'm just old, but I find that 42mm appears to be too large.
However, both of my 42mm watches are 'tool' watches, so that's OK.
I prefer to wear 36-38mm on a daily basis.
I also wear a 34mm and a 35mm. IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:27 am

ericf4 wrote:
i only wear 52mm and bigger invictas as anything smaller is pansy ass summabeechez toy watches..i love me some watches the size of a hubcap with this tiny little plastic quartz movement rattling around inside.....Anyone who wears a 45mm with a automatic movement has to get their head checked....Bigger is better, Quartz is King, and Elvis does the lords work....

QUestion, WHy when I type E.Y.A.L. LALO does my post auto change to "Elvis" WTH are we protecting the Lalos name now?

ericf4 wrote:

Sound like someone at WF's and i'm not talking about don or james! Think he and eric are great friends after a rocky start!! IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM 500253
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:40 am

Noisy Nova wrote:
I guess I'm just old, but I find that 42mm appears to be too large.
However, both of my 42mm watches are 'tool' watches, so that's OK.
I prefer to wear 36-38mm on a daily basis.
I also wear a 34mm and a 35mm. IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_smile

Do you mind showing us a few of your watches, I've seen them before but just need a reminder...THANKS!

Senior Associate
ericf4

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:06 pm

cali kid wrote:
ericf4 wrote:

ericf4 wrote:

Sound like someone at WF's and i'm not talking about don or james! Think he and eric are great friends after a rocky start!! IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM 500253

TREVOR YOU ARE FULL OF LALO......I wouldnt befriend RIR if your life depended on it.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:15 pm

Ok guys...

...let's get back on the original topic of the thread please.

44 mm Panerai vs 40mm Panerai (pics from WUS)...

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF0998
IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF1004
IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF1005

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm a pretty big fella...6'3", 8 1/2-inch wrist, pushing too damn close to 137 kilos (sounds so much smaller than when translated into pounds), and have for the most part leaned towards bigger-is-better in watches....but have "discovered" the wonders of smaller timepieces...

Still like the "bug-uns" — mostly, anyway, though I'm in the midst of beginning disposal of my Russian Divers and some others — but my recent purchases have been more in line with "quasi-traditional" sizes; i.e., last week picked up an SWI A9240 (diamond markers, 2834-2 day/date) which is 42mm (salmon dial, $498)......and this morning, really went out on a limb and bought a Maurice Lacroix "Pontos Rectangulaire Reserve de Marche Automatic Power Reserve" For $538....and it's only 33mm wide. Much longer, though, and I've found that rectangular watches seem to wear larger. I'll know when I get it on my wrist. Otherwise, all it cost me is a couple of weeks of having my money tied up, and about $10 bucks to return it...just has a very classy look to it that you can't find in big watches...
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:37 pm

42mm B&R vs 46mm Steinhart...

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM BRComp

I DO like how the outer edge of the strap meets the outer edge of the lugs...

...gives it a bigger PRESENCE IMO...

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:56 pm

Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.
Back to top Go down
max
Associate
max

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:57 pm

The perfect size for me really is 39/40mm but I like 42mm. I have a few 44s and even 46s that fit because of curved lugs and dont look like Fizbo the Clowns watch but lately I have been finding bigger watches a hassle to wear. Old/weak/weak eyes here.

That said I just came out of my NBZ since December IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Affraid and bought another 46mm Deep Blue Sea diver in orange. Big as it is, it fits like an Oris, big on bottom , smaller on top. (No remarks, pervs)

I still want a 44mm Pam though. Dont care what other people think of the size on my reverse Popeye arms.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 1:02 pm

Docrwm wrote:
Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM 196544

Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 1:18 pm

Sweet! I love this size. PERFECTION!!!!!

See what I mean:

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM 0c75de09
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 2:26 pm

I've a few in the 43-44mm range as my largest, and that's large enough for me. Most of mine are in the size of 40-42mm. Those are good for me. I tried on a Breitling SuperOcean Heritage 38, and like it a lot, size-wise.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 5:23 pm

Definitely like the 44mm-47mm, have been wearing my vintage Seiko stuff a lot lately and getting used to the smaller size at 42mm max. Even have a Bellmatic that's 38mm across and 42mm lug to lug that I love. My RD Offshore just sits in the box, my Renatos the same, the only bigger one I wear frequently is my SAN lll 3 hand auto.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 7:09 pm

From 40mm,which is the marathon sar upto 46.5mm.thats the seiko sbdd001.mostly a ti watch.But what I wear the most and fits the best is 44 to 45.5.other words the U1 and the po.I'm getting tired of top heavy watches.After a day on the wrist,my arm is tired.If I can feel the weight all day then its to heavy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 7:29 pm

yamahaki wrote:
From 40mm,which is the marathon sar upto 46.5mm.thats the seiko sbdd001.mostly a ti watch.But what I wear the most and fits the best is 44 to 45.5.other words the U1 and the po.I'm getting tired of top heavy watches.After a day on the wrist,my arm is tired.If I can feel the weight all day then its to heavy.

Very good point. It isn't just the diameter of the watch that is an issue for me its the lug-to-lug, curve of the case and lug, AND the height of the watch. Weight isn't as much a factor for me - I like my Black Monster on Watchadoo. The Sumo, which I have repeatedly seen described as "wearing larger than its diameter" just doesn't for me at all. It wears like my 41mm watches yet its more like 44mm. The curve of those lugs conform to my wrist better than any other watch I own which in turn makes it wear smaller for me.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Yup, I think 42mm is actually a really good size. Although 44mm and up are
often very attractive to me, they shouldn't be what I'm limited to. Especially
when my wrist really isn't that big. Also the 42mm size isn't that small when
different crowns and such are added in. IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_biggrin So I guess if a watch looks good,
but might be around 42mm, maybe that shouldn't be such a road block for me
in the future. Plus this size will most likely always be a timeless size for watches
as well ! IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_smile

Associate
Noisy Nova

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 10:57 am

My smallest- 34mm

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF1795

Next at 35.5mm

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF1827

36mm

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF1761

37mm

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF1707

Two at 38mm

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF1802

and

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF1356Large

A jump to 41mm

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF1634

And 42mm

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF1715

Giant size 45.5mm

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF1763

and

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF1332

Two at 51.5mm

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF1766

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM DSCF1479
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:33 am

AWESOME collection Nova!

Especially that Craftsman! IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_bounce

Associate
Noisy Nova

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 12:09 pm

Anomaly wrote:
AWESOME collection Nova!

Especially that Craftsman! IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_bounce

I can't sell it, got too much tied up in a strap & bracelet. IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM   IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

IM GLAD I KEPT MY 42MM
Page 1 of 1