The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

History of ShopNBC

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 8:08 pm

For those of you who are unaware, here is a brief history of the channel as well as some information regarding the on-air personalities:

ShopNBC

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ShopNBC is an American broadcast and cable
home shopping network, owned and operated by ValueVision Media, which is in turn 30% owned by GE Equity and NBC Universal. ShopNBC is headquartered out of Eden Prairie, Minnesota.

ShopNBC's main competitors are
HSN (Home Shopping Network) and QVC. On May 19, 2009, the network announced that NBC Universal was selling its stake in the channel. [1]

History

The network itself was previously known as ValueVision, which was founded in October 1991 after a brief time as a local, afternoon shopping program in 1990. ValueVision entered into a 10-year trademark licensing agreement with NBC and rebranded to ShopNBC in November 2000.

ShopNBC as a home shopping channel was noted for higher price points compared to the competition, averaging $225 per transaction. The shopping network's high-end
jewelry contributed to these higher price points with designers such as John and Laura Ramsey, Neda Behnam and Sonia Bitton routinely selling gold and gem pieces for over $2,000. Recently, with the downturn in the economy and the rising prices for gold, these high-end pieces have disappeared in favor of more affordable silver and costume jewelry pieces.

In the past few years, ShopNBC has expanded into sales of household items such as mattresses, consumer electronics such as computers and big screen TVs, skincare products such as
Isomers and Prai Beauty and home goods.

ShopNBC has long held and continues to hold a "Satisfactory" rating from the Better Business Bureau for properly addressing matters referred by the BBB. The BBB rating can be viewed at the following site
[2]

ShopNBC has recently undergone major changes within its highest-level components. Changes in management and operations were made to increase the company's visibility as well as sales. They have dropped or severely curtailed the involvement of long-time show-hosts such as Wes and Pamela McCoy and Charla Rines [2] ShopNBC may be viewed as a victim of lower retail sales in general as revenue failed again to report any progress as of November 2008. On May 19, 2010, after low revenue, the channel announced that NBC Universal was selling its stake in ShopNBC. Although the channel's licensing agreement with NBC does not end until May 1, 2011, the channel will begin rebranding under a new name in summer 2010, concluding in early 2011. The new name has yet to be decided.[1]

Personalities

Some of ShopNBC's show home shopping hosts over its history have included Charla Rines, Jim Zons, Chuck Podhaiski, Shawn Wilsie, Skip Connelly, Laura Duffek, Jim Skelton (England Jim), Angela Gustaffson, Tim (Ford) Temple, Kristyn Burtt, Jim Fisher and Wes McCoy and his wife, Pamela McCoy. Suzanne Somers was introduced to ShopNBC in late 2009. She brought in her new fashion line and is hosting 1 weekend a month. Daniel Green hosted Watches with Daniel Green for February 28, 2010 only.

References

1. ^ a b NBC to Sell Stake in ShopNBC, MultiChannel News, May 20, 2010
  2. Better business Bureau rating ---->>>http://www.bbb.org/minnesota/business-reviews/television-home-shopping/shopnbc-in-eden-prairie-mn-13000935

Additional information on the BBB rating of ShopNBC:

History of ShopNBC Report-accredit-top
BBB Reliability Report for
ShopNBC

A BBB Accredited business since 12/19/2007.

BBB Rating B
History of ShopNBC Report-accredit-bottom

BBB Accreditation
ShopNBC has been a BBB Accredited business since December 2007. This means it supports BBB's services to the public and meets our BBB Accreditation standards.

BBB Rating for ShopNBC

Based on BBB files, ShopNBC has a BBB Rating of B on a scale from A+ to F.

Reasons for this rating include:

• 508 complaints filed against business

Last edited by andrema on Tue May 25, 2010 9:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 8:13 pm

So what does England Jim mean?
Back to top Go down

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Go figure. History of ShopNBC 440774
Back to top Go down

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 8:23 pm

History of ShopNBC 71883
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 9:23 pm

This is very interesting...

IF.............................the channel ceases, Invicta is done.

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 1:28 am

Anomaly wrote:

. . . we should care . . . History of ShopNBC Anyone
Back to top Go down

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 9:00 am

And a fine farwell to them.
Back to top Go down

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 10:28 am

As sargeant Shultz used to say " Veeerry interesting!"
Back to top Go down

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 10:48 am

WHAT? INVICTA GONE? NO FLAME FUSION CRYSTALS? NO ENGLAND JIM AND MUSKRAT MIKE HAWKIN THEIR WARES? WELL JUST SHOOT ME THEN AND PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY! History of ShopNBC Sleep History of ShopNBC 744742
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 11:02 am

So are we speculating?

In that case...

OMG I can't believe that they had an affair. And now she's pregnant? WOW!!!! I always knew something fishy was up. Just knew it.

Now that the facts are out there we'll all be better off. Good thing we know the truth!
Back to top Go down

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 11:56 am

Anybody think Invicta can survive if its online shopping channel is closed?How about the rest of the shop brands?

Its not a big deal to me.Its just one less company pushing shoddy merchandise.Even if they stay with a new name,
will the new name draw the viewing number for shops main sales,electronics?
The only reason they are still in business is the value pay system and the 30 day return period.
All of their electronics like tv's and computers are over priced but the value pays sucks people in.
I know, not my usual slam but leaving watches out of this,is there any other sales venues that has the same type of
sales systems in place?not everyone can afford to pay up front for a new computer,TV, camera.
Back to top Go down

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Maybe someone like HSN (QVC)..Didn't Renato go to QVC and then come back to ShopNBC?

The only place like a ShopNBC might be the rent to own type stores like RAC-Rent a Center where
people can rent to own Big screen TV's, furniture, etc...
-----------------
You can buy Invicta watches in Tourneau Watch Gear stores...I'm sure they would find another
outlet..Would it be the same as ShopNBC...Doubt it...

Mike
Back to top Go down

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 1:13 pm

History of ShopNBC 213652 think they have so many invicta nuts eyal could put them in every low to mid-end clothing and jewelry stores and make it! What happens to JS and will he still think they are the best brand in the world when he is not hawking them? time will only tell but between me and you "i couldnt give a rats ass either way" just hope he saved some of the money shop threw at him but i've got a funny feeling we will see a bunch of his personal collection up for sale if shop goes bye-bye! History of ShopNBC 440774
Back to top Go down

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Anomaly wrote:

Not if they start pumping their product to every retail outlet and clearance store chain they can think of...oh, wait..they already do that. My bad!
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 8:32 pm

I don't think SNBC or Invicta are going anywhere. The reality is Invicta would be a level above the standard watch fare offered by HSN or QVC. Look at the brands that they sell and it looks like Bidz.com
Back to top Go down

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm

I don't think JS has a watch collection.I think hes shot alot of photos of borrowed watches.read the bullshit saga of his perrelet turbine.Another
member got one before Jim did.I really doubt he has a collection.With his ego,I'd think he would be posting it all over sphinctergeeks.net
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 1:13 am

yamahaki wrote:
sphinctergeeks.net
Where. Do. I. Sign. Up??
Back to top Go down

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 4:18 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

History of ShopNBC Empty
PostSubject: Re: History of ShopNBC   History of ShopNBC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

History of ShopNBC
Page 1 of 1