The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP Empty
PostSubject: Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP   Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 12:30 pm

Some advice:

1) Read the PP rules. Seriously, read them.

2) Keep everything. ALL emails, all paper, the boxes, everything until YOU are certain you are happy.

3) Click and save ALL photos of the watch in the sales post. They can be altered by the seller later, removed, etc. Its vital you keep copies of them yourself. You may need them to support your claim that what you got is not what you thought you were buying.

4) Make a PDF, if you can, or a screen shot of the sales post - THE ENTIRE THING. So you can support what was presented and what you acted on when you decided to buy.

5) Open a dispute IMMEDIATELY with PayPal. Don't be conned by the seller in emails and PMs. Opening a dispute preserves your rights and makes it a formal process. You then negotiate with the seller via PayPals PM system. If they resolve it to your satisfaction PayPal will review the PMs and then approve the refund or whatever. But it makes it all on the record. Bascially, a dispute that is resolved does nothing to the seller other than cost them some money but it has PP covering your back. Don't let the seller con you into thinking that a dispute will harm anyone, its a claim that can do that to the seller (or you if decided against).

6) If the seller is a real problem then escalate it to a Claim as soon as you feel there is no more room to negotiate with the seller. PayPal is great about letting you know how long you have left to do these things. DO NOT go beyond the maximum you will NOT get an extension from PayPal.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP   Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Great stuff Doc!

Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP   Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks.

But have always been curious what recourse you have if Gift option is used.
Often used for private forum sales.
Assuming...None.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP   Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 4:59 pm

jaw wrote:
Thanks.

But have always been curious what recourse you have if Gift option is used.
Often used for private forum sales.
Assuming...None.

Absolutely none whatsoever. Gift is a BAD idea from the buyers perspective. ALL the pluses are with the seller. When its friends, that's fine. I sold the Seiko 6309 Pepsi to Duff and we used that method. I know he's good and he thinks I am so it worked. But with an unknown seller.....you are throwing the dice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP   Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 1:32 am

paypal only works if items are bought from a secure site like ebay.The rules are slightly different when its private sales like on these forums.
getting paid as a gift isn't something to do,especially if something happens.The buyer will always lose if he sent payment as a gift.
Why people think paypal is safe for forum sales,I'll never know.If you buy a watch off the sales corners and its not as described,opening
a dispute gets closed by paypal.If the item was bought on ebay,then theres some recourse action.

As far as the 45 day dispute limit being valid,think again.If you bought a watch from a private seller and the 45 days has passed,
the seller can file a dispute naming you as the seller,raise it to a claim then even though paypal knows its bogus and fraud,they will
take the money regardless.I know.Tourby watch co.tried that horseshit on me.And if you funded your account using a credit card or
your bank,remember that here in the states,if you got a refund for a product sold by lets say amazon,they have 6 months to
file against you.While your card company and bank will find in your favor up front,you need to be on the watch for any company
to file a bogus claim later,like they didn't recieve the product back even though you have proof that you did.

If any of these situations occur,your only action is to sever your card and bank account from paypal.Your bank will give you a new account
as will your credit card company.Banks know all about paypals policies.You sever all financial links to paypal 1st.paypal doesn't negotiate when
they have your money.They will negotiate when you retain full control of the money.
Its kind of sad,but thats the way it works.I closed my paypal business and premier account over crap like this.I use my friends
account when paypal has to be used.

No matter how long someone has been buying and selling on the forums,theres always that 1st time when things go very wrong.
Protect your self by being proactive,not reactive.
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP   Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 2:47 am

I don't have any issue using Paypal-even the gift option, if I know the seller. If they are unknown to me I look for anyone else I know that has dealt with them. Nothing is foolproof and I reserve the right to hunt down any scoundrel who screws me over. Rarely does it take that "Here's Johnny" moment to help someone realize the error of their ways.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP   Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 4:53 pm

Great info, Robert.

Or, like I do, use the internet for shopping as little as possible. I don't even have a PP account.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP   Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some Suggestions for Problems buying using PP
Page 1 of 1