The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Define "Fashion Watch"?

Go down 
+2
AtomicTom
jaw
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Define "Fashion Watch"? Empty
PostSubject: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 5:38 pm

I hate going to the Public Forum at WUS. It seems to me every moron in WISdom posts there and says the stupidest things I have ever read. I don't know why I drop by that forum occasionally, honestly.

That said, someone was suggesting that Sinn watches are not genuine Made in Germany products because it doesn't say that on every dial. Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_rolleyes Define "Fashion Watch"? Suspect

Another was suggesting that Sinn watches are "Fashion Watches" an assertion I have read elsewhere. I know my opinion on this but it started me thinking about the term "Fashion Watch".

Just what is a "Fashion Watch"? Is that the same as saying something is fashionable? Does the fact that a model comes with 4-5 color options make it a "Fashion Watch"?

Or, does "Fashion Watch" imply something more (or less depending on how you look at it)?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 5:51 pm

I have always taken "fashion watch" to generally mean a watch marketed by an (often fashion) company like DKNY or Hilfiger, Quiksilver or Burberry's that is not primarily a watch-builder...you get the idea.

But there is some crossover since I'd also call any numbers of Swatch brand watches fashion watches--but many companies in the Swatch stable are decidedly *not* fashion watches, like Tissot, Mido and Longines, Breguet, Blancpain...but then ya get to Tiffany and thijngs get all confused again Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_biggrin

I wouldn't call a Sinn a fashion watch. Sinn is decidedly a watch/instrument company...and always has been.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:04 pm

I agree with AT. I've also heard some believe that a marque that uses branding on non-watch products make it a "fashion watch." I don't believe that to be true, as several marques, that are considered "tool" makers, have done non-watch branding.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:08 pm

My thinking has been along these lines.....if a watch was designed to look a particular way in keeping with current fashion trends with little or no regard to the technical needs or requirements. Not sure how far that goes.

Sinn, I have no concern that Sinn is a fashion watch. Its more of a tool watch than nearly anything else on the market. More technical innovations built into their watches than any other company (across their offerings) than any other brand I can think of readily.

No, to me "Fashion Watch" is a comment on the watch being for show and not for go. My daughter had one .....
Define "Fashion Watch"? 5143A892PPL._SL500_AA300_
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:10 pm

I was thinking the same sort of thing, DKNY, Guess etc but Cartier and Tiffany really through a curve ball on that line of thinking for me as I do respect some of the stuff they make.

Those individuals that call Sinn, Tag and others a fashion brand I think are referring more to the popularity of the brand and the status they have with Joe average.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:13 pm

Jamie wrote:
I was thinking the same sort of thing, DKNY, Guess etc but Cartier and Tiffany really through a curve ball on that line of thinking for me as I do respect some of the stuff they make.

Those individuals that call Sinn, Tag and others a fashion brand I think are referring more to the popularity of the brand and the status they have with Joe average.

I think you're right about many calling the Fashion watches because they cost more than $25 and don't do more than their basic quartz.

As a corollary question - can a genuine watch company produce a fashion watch among their more traditional offerings? Sinn has produced some really small LE runs that are still very technically sophisticated but have color and other features that have no useful purpose other than satisfying some fashion sense or issue. I know that some of TAGs offerings are more for bling purposes than for high tech reasons too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:17 pm

Fashion
Define "Fashion Watch"? J65
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:23 pm

As I am rather fashion conscious, I've lamented over this distinction myself rather often. I finally came to some fasion criteria from my POV.

• Yes: Watches offered by what we consider "famous fashion labels" DKNY, Armani, etc.
  • Yes: Same watch design available > 2 color variations

• Excludes the PO orange/black, and Rolex 2 tones
    • Renders All Invicta including SAS, SANIII high-mid-tier fashion watches
    • But for fashion reasons, why else would you want more that one color combo of same watch?

• Price is irrelevant
This logic also begs the question...
Is it NOT a fashion watch UNTIL you actually own more that one color of same?

Last edited by jaw on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:25 pm

jaw wrote:
As I am rather fashion conscious, I've lamented over this distinction myself rather often. I finally came to some fasion criteria from my POV.

• Yes: Watches offered by what we consider "famous fashion labels" DKNY, Armani, etc.

• Renders All SAS, SANIII high-mid-tier fashion watches
    • But for fashion reasons, why else would you want more that one color combo of same watch?
    </li>
  • Price is irrelevant

JAW,

Could that also apply to multiple strap/bracelet options? I mean what are they other than fashion issues? Also, does dial color variation within the brands offerings make it a fashion watch?
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:28 pm

Docrwm wrote:
jaw wrote:

</li>
  • Price is irrelevant

JAW,

Could that also apply to multiple strap/bracelet options? I mean what are they other than fashion issues? Also, does dial color variation within the brands offerings make it a fashion watch?

Good question,

I would limit my criteria to dial color only. The greater expense for fashion reasons alone.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:33 pm

What a GREAT question Doc ! Define "Fashion Watch"? 803574 ..I think Ron, Tim, Jamie, and Jaw hit it out of
the park too ! When a watch is made by a company that isn't necessarily all
about watches,and is more about clothing, perfumes, and more !..Maybe when
they make a watch it's a fashion watch !..It's not really a bad thing I don't think.
It's maybe just how people, or companies decide to view watches. If it's a
company that just focuses on watches, and sees them as watches, and
not just an accessory of some kind, then these wouldn't seem to be fashion
watches. It's an interesting question though, and when you stop and think
about it, lines can actually seem to get blurred. Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_eek Partly because I know
alot of watch companies try to make watches that look like other popular
styles. However, I guess this is just the way the watch industry works, and
as long as it's about the watch, then these aren't fashion watches. Oh, and
I would say your Sinn is DEFINITELY not a fashion watch ! Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_smile

Last edited by AtomicTom on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:34 pm

jaw wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
jaw wrote:

</li>
  • Price is irrelevant

JAW,

Good question,

I would limit my criteria to dial color only. The greater expense for fashion reasons alone.

That would mean that nearly every major maker does "fashion watches" as they offer variations in dial color. For example....

Define "Fashion Watch"? Twinswithlume
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:38 pm

AtomicTom wrote:
What a GREAT question Doc ! Define "Fashion Watch"? 803574 ..I think Ron and Jaw hit it out of the park too !
When a watch is made by a company that isn't necessarily all about watches,
and is more about clothing, perfumes, and more !..Maybe when they make a
watch it's a fashion watch !..It's not really a bad thing I don't think. It's
maybe just how people, or companies decide to view watches. If it's a
company that just focuses on watches, and sees them as watches, and
not just an accessory of some kind, then these wouldn't seem to be fashion
watches. It's an interesting question though, and when you stop and think
about it, lines can actually seem to get blurred. Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_eek Partly because I know
alot of watch companies try to make watches that look like other popular
styles. However, I guess this is just the way the watch industry works, and
as long as it's about the watch, then these aren't fashion watches. Oh, and
I would say your Sinn is DEFINITELY not a fashion watch ! Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_smile

Thanks AT. It is definitely more complicated than many would suggest in their black and white posts on the subject. Are watches, at least in part, a fashion statement - I would say yes. Men, at least most men, are limited in what accessories they feel comfortable wearing. In this day when cuff links are not routinely seen and hats are not worn by businessmen or professionals there are very few accessories that a man can wear that will not raise serious eyebrows. I mean seriously, think about it, what is culturally acceptable today for a man to wear to a job interview when it comes to accessories? If you show up wearing a fedora you're gonna get weird looks, the same (in most instances) for cuff links. But a watch? Well, it can say a LOT about who you are and how you see yourself.
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:38 pm

Docrwm wrote:
jaw wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
jaw wrote:

</li>
  • Price is irrelevant

JAW,

Good question,

That would mean that nearly every major maker does "fashion watches" as they offer variations in dial color. For example....

Greater than 2 colors is fashion, less than 2 not fashion.
And I'm just testing my logic on you guys to validate it (or invalidate it).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:39 pm

jaw wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
jaw wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
jaw wrote:

</li>
  • Price is irrelevant

JAW,

Good question,

Greater than 2 colors is fashion, less than 2 not fashion.
And I'm just testing my logic on you guys to validate it (or invalidate it).

I hear you and I am doing the same. Its why I picked my Monsters to post. Few would call them "Fashionable" but perhaps they are a fashion statement?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:43 pm

"But a watch? Well, it can say a LOT about
who you are and how you see yourself."

Sure, Robert. Any watch can be/is a fashion statement. The guy that owns a bunch of gigantic divers, that only goes under water in the shower...
The guy with a bunch of Pilots, but doesn't even fly, anywhere.

Not saying anyone here is like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:47 pm

porschefan wrote:

Sure, Robert. Any watch can be/is a fashion statement. The guy that owns a bunch of gigantic divers, that only goes under water in the shower...

Well, it's true that they are one of the few ways in which traditional men in American Culture can express themselves from a fashion perspective without much worry about comments. There are limits and those have to do with your base group identification. I mean wearing a 52mm BLING Invicta as a neurosurgeon would probably get people talking..... Define "Fashion Watch"? 60498
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:54 pm

Docrwm wrote:
porschefan wrote:

Well, it's true that they are one of the few ways in which traditional men in American Culture can express themselves from a fashion perspective without much worry about comments. There are limits and those have to do with your base group identification. I mean wearing a 52mm BLING Invicta as a neurosurgeon would probably get people talking..... Define "Fashion Watch"? 60498

Comments, do you mean something like: "He must not be a very good surgeon..."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:57 pm

porschefan wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
porschefan wrote:

Comments, do you mean something like: "He must not be a very good surgeon..."

Ah...that would be a No.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:59 pm

Just was thinking "Invicta" and "neurosurgeon" were two words that didn't belong in the same sentence... Define "Fashion Watch"? 779569
Back to top Go down
Chris S.
Senior Associate
Chris S.

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 7:01 pm

Docrwm wrote:

Another was suggesting that Sinn watches are "Fashion Watches" an assertion I have read elsewhere.

Define "Fashion Watch"? Lol Define "Fashion Watch"? 744742 Define "Fashion Watch"? 744742 Define "Fashion Watch"? 744742 Define "Fashion Watch"? 744742 Define "Fashion Watch"? 744742 Define "Fashion Watch"? 744742 Define "Fashion Watch"? 744742 Define "Fashion Watch"? 744742 Define "Fashion Watch"? 744742 Define "Fashion Watch"? 744742

Define "Fashion Watch"? 803574
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 7:03 pm

porschefan wrote:
Just was thinking "Invicta" and "neurosurgeon" were two words that didn't belong in the same sentence... Define "Fashion Watch"? 779569

Here's a sentence that they fit in, IMHO:

The neurosurgeon was able to successfully remove the invicta that was embedded in your friends skull.
Back to top Go down
Noisy Nova
Associate
Noisy Nova

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 7:03 pm

Fashion watch.
A watch you only wear in the house.

For instance, as a WIS, would you wear this outside? In public? Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_lol

Define "Fashion Watch"? DSCF1900Large
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 7:09 pm

Docrwm wrote:
porschefan wrote:

Here's a sentence that they fit in, IMHO:

The neurosurgeon was able to successfully remove the invicta that was embedded in your friends skull.

Define "Fashion Watch"? 744742 Define "Fashion Watch"? 812159
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 7:45 pm

IMO...

A FASHION brand is if a company makes products OTHER than watches (i.e. clothes, cologne, accessories)...

ANOTHER term I have heard is BOUTIQUE brand (the manufacturer may only make watches but are smaller in production and only sold through certain outlets, typically NOT retail establishments) Like NFW, NauticFish, microbrands in general...

Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 9:01 pm

Anomaly wrote:
IMO...

A FASHION brand is if a company makes products OTHER than watches (i.e. clothes, cologne, accessories)...

ANOTHER term I have heard is BOUTIQUE brand (the manufacturer may only make watches but are smaller in production and only sold through certain outlets, typically NOT retail establishments) Like NFW, NauticFish, microbrands in general...

Good one - adding it to my list.
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 9:16 pm

Defining watch categories, among other things, is fraught with peril. Define "Fashion Watch"? 440774
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 11:20 pm

That's why unless someone posts a link to something REALLY funny in the Public forum I avoid that area cuz I know I'll read something there and be like this scratch or this Define "Fashion Watch"? 831531 for the rest of the day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 11:53 pm

brian D wrote:
That's why unless someone posts a link to something REALLY funny in the Public forum I avoid that area cuz I know I'll read something there and be like this scratch or this Define "Fashion Watch"? 831531 for the rest of the day.

You'd think I would know better by now, wouldn't you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 11:59 pm

Docrwm wrote:
In this day when cuff links are not routinely seen...

Amita Damascene/Japan 1964/Tokyo. Always cuff links if I wear a suit. Maybe cuz I'm an old guy. Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_biggrin

Define "Fashion Watch"? Damascene1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 12:36 am

jaw wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
IMO...

So, then add TAG, Breguet, Cartier (which started as tools, then became more upscale), Montblanc and Omega to your fashion watch list, among others...

Bottom line, they are all a "fashion watch" to one extent or another. Otherwise, a company that claims to be strictly a tool watch company wouldn't offer a load of variations, would they? "You need a dive watch, rated to 300meters, here it is. One option, we can size the bracelet."
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 12:55 am

porschefan wrote:
jaw wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
IMO...

So, then add TAG, Breguet, Cartier (which started as tools, then became more upscale), Montblanc and Omega to your fashion watch list, among others...

Bottom line, they are all a "fashion watch" to one extent or another. Otherwise, a company that claims to be strictly a tool watch company wouldn't offer a load of variations, would they? "You need a dive watch, rated to 300meters, here it is. One option, we can size the bracelet."

Uh Oh...guess Mark was right - Fraught with peril.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 12:59 am

Yep, because many of the makers do more than just watches. Some actually manufacture other "things," some only brand other products.

Last edited by porschefan on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 1:00 am

. . . tough question Doc. I believe almost everyone will have a different take on this. The boys over at TZ do that's for sure.

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101133

. . . me, I see it as a watch made more for aesthetics than purpose/function.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 1:26 am

I'm not sure how a VARIETY OF STYLES from the same manufacturer equates it to a fashion brand...

PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Define "Fashion Watch"?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next