The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Define "Fashion Watch"?

Go down 
+2
AtomicTom
jaw
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Define "Fashion Watch"? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Define "Fashion Watch"?   Define "Fashion Watch"? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 2:30 am

Docrwm wrote:
AtomicTom wrote:
What a GREAT question Doc ! Define "Fashion Watch"? - Page 2 803574 ..I think Ron and Jaw hit it out of the park too !
When a watch is made by a company that isn't necessarily all about watches,
and is more about clothing, perfumes, and more !..Maybe when they make a
watch it's a fashion watch !..It's not really a bad thing I don't think. It's
maybe just how people, or companies decide to view watches. If it's a
company that just focuses on watches, and sees them as watches, and
not just an accessory of some kind, then these wouldn't seem to be fashion
watches. It's an interesting question though, and when you stop and think
about it, lines can actually seem to get blurred. Define "Fashion Watch"? - Page 2 Icon_eek Partly because I know
alot of watch companies try to make watches that look like other popular
styles. However, I guess this is just the way the watch industry works, and
as long as it's about the watch, then these aren't fashion watches. Oh, and
I would say your Sinn is DEFINITELY not a fashion watch ! Define "Fashion Watch"? - Page 2 Icon_smile

Thanks AT. It is definitely more complicated than many would suggest in their black and white posts on the subject. Are watches, at least in part, a fashion statement - I would say yes. Men, at least most men, are limited in what accessories they feel comfortable wearing. In this day when cuff links are not routinely seen and hats are not worn by businessmen or professionals there are very few accessories that a man can wear that will not raise serious eyebrows. I mean seriously, think about it, what is culturally acceptable today for a man to wear to a job interview when it comes to accessories? If you show up wearing a fedora you're gonna get weird looks, the same (in most instances) for cuff links. But a watch? Well, it can say a LOT about who you are and how you see yourself.

Thank YOU Doc ! Define "Fashion Watch"? - Page 2 Icon_smile ..You are making some excellent points about this I think ! As is everyone
else for that matter also. At first it seemed like an easy question to answer, but then as I started
thinking about it more, and reading everyone's responses, it got a little more complex ! It's really
VERY interesting imho ! Define "Fashion Watch"? - Page 2 803574 ..Thanks again !

Define "Fashion Watch"?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2