The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Empty
PostSubject: Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs   Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:53 pm

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg&th=1518615&start=0&rid=50750

Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs DSC_6316

First found this link on TZ-Uk, where i was pointed out that "I
think this a useful comparison. The side profile pic 6 from the end
confirms that the edgeing on the
bezel is different. The new sub is more similar to the Sea Dweller
(16660). "
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs   Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:59 pm

They sure haven't changed TOO much!

Like they say, if it ain't broke...

...don't fix it.

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs   Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:13 pm

Wow Doc, that's something else ! ..Hard to tell a real
difference, unless you REALLY look ! Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Icon_cyclops It's extremely
interesting to see !!!..Thank you !

ramirez1970
Associate
ramirez1970

PostSubject: Re: Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs   Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Very useful info. Thanks for posting. Honestly, I don't really mind the new "maxi" case though don't really think it's an improvement. However, I really like the new ceramic bezel insert.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs   Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 10:33 am

What they should have done was made the lugs thinner but keep the outer width. This would allow for a wider bracelet at the lugs.

Instead, the bracelet appears even narrower due to the wider case.
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs   Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 11:37 am

Wisconsin Proud wrote:
What they should have done was made the lugs thinner but keep the outer width. This would allow for a wider bracelet at the lugs.

I completely agree. With the skinny bracelet the watch flops around on your wrist if you like a little play in the bracelet.
The SD is even worse since it is so tall/thick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs   Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 12:26 pm

PoliMalaka wrote:
Wisconsin Proud wrote:

I completely agree. With the skinny bracelet the watch flops around on your wrist if you like a little play in the bracelet.

I like a loose bracelet, and my GMT IIc doesn't "flop around" anymore than any other watch. I find it actually sits better than a couple of others. Same case and bracelet, it appears. But then that may be caused by the numbing effects of the Kool-Aid one must drink before wearing it. Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Icon_evil
Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Roller003
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs   Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 12:51 pm

porschefan wrote:

I like a loose bracelet, and my GMT IIc doesn't "flop around" anymore than any other watch. I find it actually sits better than a couple of others. Same case and bracelet, it appears. But then that may be caused by the numbing effects of the Kool-Aid one must drink before wearing it.
Interesting. I both on and they didn't seem to sit right on my wrist. I must need some of that aid.
Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs   Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 7:51 pm

Wisconsin Proud wrote:

Agreed, the new case looks real blocky, think if the would have left it and add 2mm of width to the inside of the lugs and put a 22mm bracelet on it would have been better! I like the older style case since they kept the 20mm bracelet!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs   Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 9:59 pm

porschefan wrote:
PoliMalaka wrote:
Wisconsin Proud wrote:

I like a loose bracelet, and my GMT IIc doesn't "flop around" anymore than any other watch. I find it actually sits better than a couple of others. Same case and bracelet, it appears. But then that may be caused by the numbing effects of the Kool-Aid one must drink before wearing it. Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Icon_evil
Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Roller003

Seems to be a lot of that going on. When I googled Rolex and Kool Aid this came up.....

Has anyone noticed the number of mysteries, coincidences and conspiracies that surround Rolex and their watches? For example, while researching an article on ‘The Bond watch’ I noticed a pattern that repeated itself far, far too many time in Fleming's plots...

There is usually a shadowy organisation, with a strange name, led by a charismatic man who speaks English with an odd accent and settles for a time in England.

Do not misunderestimate me Mr Bond...

The organisation will, ostensibly, be concerned with producing some useful and theoretically valuable product and will often have a charitable arm which ensures that they are seen as a Good Thing. They will of course have a centralised (flammable?) headquarters but influence all over the world through a network, often of 'dealers'.

Is it merely a coincidence that this is a picture perfect description of Rolex S.A.? This can only be a textbook example of someone, sworn (or worse) to keep an unbearable secret, unconsciously giving it away. Obviously, Fleming and Broccoli were desperate to escape some terrible knowledge that haunted them or even controlled them.

Is it a coincidence, that not a single one of Ian Fleming's plots mentions a mind control device that is worn on the wrist, being used by a shadowy organisation with an innocent front operation, to take over the world? Was this the secret Fleming was unable to share? We now know that he owned a Rolex from as early as 1948, a Rolex that was replaced in mysterious circumstances in 1963 as the cold war got hotter. Broccoli, however desperately tried to rid himself of his Rolex, palming it off on random actors and wearing the wrong strap in a desperate attempt to lose the watch and escape its influence.

Note the classy 4mm gap. is this an unconscious scream for help or just naff?

Their subconscious desire to escape is obvious: At the end of each book and film, the shadowy organisation is repeatedly destroyed and its singular headquarters explodes like a guilty fantasy! Fleming was, of course, an active member of British intelligence and must have discovered the secret that consumed him while on active duty. We know he didn’t own a Rolex until the late forties or early fifties. The question has been asked before: was he turned by some shadowy organisation which made him an offer he couldn't refuse, or was there a more sinister cause?

So, what was the secret that haunted Fleming and Broccoli? Some whisper that it was a secret so terrible that they took it to their graves without telling a soul...

1908 was the year it must have started. Can we believe it is coincidence that the year that Lenin wrote the article that many believe led directly to the Russian revolution was also the year that Hans Wilsdorf, living, like Karl Marx before him, in England, created the Rolex (has anyone else noticed how Russian the word ‘Rolex’ sounds?) brand. In 1920, With the Russian revolution complete, Wilsdorf suddenly moved to neutral Switzerland and founded Rolex as a manufacture. Why Switzerland? a country free to all and thus naturally a haven for spies and espionage. It is a fact that during WWII Rolex provided ordinary watches to the Soviet Union. However, what is less well known is that they offered Rolex 'watches' free to prisoners of war. These unfortunate souls then returned to their home countries wearing Rolex watches. Some then got political power while others appear to have disappeared. Did they go underground, did they in turn pass on these 'watches' to another generation?

Lenin: did he wear a Rolex?

Rolex refuse to have shareholders, are committed to redistribution of wealth through a series of charitable trusts, have a business model that is clearly at odds with free market capitalism and tax the rich in ways that the most rabid of left wingers would falter at through sales of their so called ‘watches’. The watches themselves may look like beautifully finished jewels of conspicuous consumption but inside, they follow the design philosophy of the Russian T34 tank and the AK47, being basic, simple, robust and easy to maintain. They rely on aged designs, only changing them when they are in danger of being left far behind by competitors with higher beat movements. Many people have noticed that the so called O.Y.S.T.E.R. (what does this sinister acronym mean?) case is suspiciously thick. Rolex say that this is for strength, but we only have their word for it; there is room inside for anything, even, it is rumoured, mind control circuitry, and the 904L 'metal' they use is well known for causing irritation due to the high nickel content. Why so much nickel? could it be to make a better connection with nerves under the skin; nerves that lead directly and inexorably to the brain? Who knows. What signals might these nerves carry? Western science is still in the dark, but we know that the Russians were working on mind control from very early on in their reign of evil.

Screwdrivers: Rolex claim they are innocent tools, but in the wrong hands, who knows...

Returning to the movement, the mainstay of Rolex until as late as the nineties and the movement considered by many to be Rolex’s finest, the 1507, was such a weak design that they did not dare to have it tick faster than a mere 19800bph for fear it would wear out! Just like the engine in the Russian LADA car which could only rev to a few thousand RPM before exploding, the 1570 soldiered on seeing service in watches like the моряки подводной лодки or ‘Submariner’, as it eventually became known in the West.

The ‘submariner’ is a watch which has barely changed since its suspiciously timed release immediately before the Cuban missile crisis. (which of course was between an Omega wearing Kennedy and a Rolex wearing Kruschev and Castro. Coincidence? you decide. However, just like a product of the First Moscow Watch Company, the same basic watch, based on an updated sixties design, comes in a bewildering range of colours and minor variations.

However, the popularity of Rolex among Communist leaders, revolutionaries, drug dealers and used car salesmen has often worried people. For example, Cuba’s leader Fidel Castro always wore not one, but two Rolex watches,

Castro blowing kisses, but was it mind control?

Was he a beneficiary of Rolex’s ‘charitable arm’? We may never know. Saddam Hussain, of course, famously wore a Rolex and even offered them out as 'rewards' to his cronies, who then went on to commit acts of appalling evil.

Not an episode of 'Minder'...

Five minutes on google confirms that Osama bin Laden wore, and still apparently wears, a Rolex. So what is it that causes the far left and all these real life Bond villains to wear Rolex? or is it perhaps, the other way around...

Is it perhaps the ultimate irony, that Rolex owners are described as drinking 'Cool Aid':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kool-Aid

Maybe we have been missing something...

I just want to finish by trying to kill the rumour that Rolex are no innocents when it comes to espionage for their own purposes, or is it the purposes of their shadowy masters as some allege? However, it is a mystery to me why so many people believe the story I am about to tell, in an attempt to kill it, once and for all.

Apparently Kennedy’s almost messianic determination to send an Omega to the Moon led directly to the lowest point in the history of Rolex. This came when they managed somehow to smuggle a Rolex onto Jack Swigert’s wrist in an attempt to covertly get a watch on the moon (or worse). Imagine the creeping horror Swigert must have felt as he took off his spacesuit and realised that his Omega had been replaced by a Rolex. Obviously Mission control had to be informed, and, with the famous words: ‘Houston we have a problem’ the mission had to be called off, not only because of the delays caused by fighting the watch off Swigert's wrist but also, it is said, because there was a real danger that the presence of a Rolex in the command module could have caused timing inaccuracies throughout the craft, leaving Apollo Thirteen drifting through space. (or could there have been a yet more subtle danger?) Obviously this had to be kept secret and so NASA made up a wild story about an explosion. Many believe Swigert carried on wearing the disarmed Rolex as a trophy, to taunt Rolex and their shadowy backers.

I would love to be able to show that this vapid rumour is baseless. But, sadly, there is absolutely no evidence that it is. None of the crew or mission control have every denied it and there appears to be a conspiracy of silence.

I am sure that there will be howls of complaint from Rolex owners, or ‘lexies as they are known in the secret world we never hear about, as their secrets are revealed but as you read this, think about what it is they could be hiding. I don’t know myself, but some people claim to be able to see a pattern in all this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs   Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Side-by-side comparison of Old and New Rolex Subs
Page 1 of 1