The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interesting Advertising...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Interesting Advertising... Empty
PostSubject: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Interesting Advertising... Comparison

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 7:19 pm

All things being relatively equal, what justifies the prices on the other four?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 7:19 pm

looks like something invicta would try, but they would pump up the flame fushion!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 8:32 pm

cski wrote:

Good question. I think the answer is the others are "real watch companies" as opposed to DeBaufre which relies on 3rd party assemblers.

Some might not think that's important but to me a watch purchase goes beyond specs and stats.

Having said that, the DeBaufre seems like a bargain but design-wise I've always like the Carlos Coste Oris.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 9:05 pm

The reason the others are more money has nothing to do with better parts, better labor, where they are made, whether they are in-house or out-house made, or any of that. The real reason that those other watches sell for so much more is that none of them has "DeBaufre" on the dial Interesting Advertising... 841433
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 9:35 pm

cski wrote:

If we think about that TOO much we may all kick our own asses for paying what we did for certain watches! Interesting Advertising... 744742

Senior Associate
TVDinner

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 9:48 pm

Well of course the NAME makes some more money like in anything else - name brands are more.

Between those I would DEFINITELY TAKE that Oris, which is crazy nice., good sized, AND A BRAND that is established and would retain its value, if not go up over time.
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:43 pm

Docrwm wrote:
The reason the others are more money has nothing to do with better parts, better labor, where they are made, whether they are in-house or out-house made, or any of that. The real reason that those other watches sell for so much more is that none of them has "DeBaufre" on the dial Interesting Advertising... 841433

What about Steinhart?
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:07 am

Hmm..This is pretty intriguing I think ! ..They all basically have the
same "everything", and with the sale, the Triton is even MORE impressive
than when it was regular price ! Interesting Advertising... Icon_biggrin ..I agree that Oris, and those other
watches are FANTASTIC, but this is a neat comparison by Debaufre
in my opinion !

..THX !

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:09 am

Guys..I can throw up some stats that would seem to indicate that my 2011 Hyundai Sonata is the "same" and a Lexus or Mercedes. While I might like it (a lot), it's not the same. They all provide transportation though, and would get me where I need to go. They are all nice and have power this and GPS that.

Same with watches, sometimes there is more to it than cold numbers.

EXCELLENT ad though and in it's own way not really misleading.

And just so no one thinks I'm bashing the Sonata, here's a gratuitous pic. (with some watch content)

Interesting Advertising... 2011SonataProfile1

Interesting Advertising... 2011SonataInterior1

Interesting Advertising... DowntownTampa1w757wristshot

Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:15 am

Dude that is a great looking car...

...I don't care WHO makes it!

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:16 am

That interior rocks!

I saw that same identical white Sonata today - very sporty version. These cars will sell like hotcakes if they maintain a price advantage over Toyota and Honda.

My neighbor has a Sonata and a Santa fe - both are well finished and good deals.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:36 am

Thanks Guys. The best part is it drives great, handles very well and have plenty of 4cy pop. I was driving a SAAB Turbo X previously, and I am not really missing the power and AWD.

Loving the 28mpg, while still being able to fling it around a bit still. Pretty impressed.

Sorry for the thread jack.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 1:00 am

Sweet car Steven, love the interior! The pic out the windshield of the city looks like a painting and is totally amazing! Interesting Advertising... 46145
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 6:37 pm

Love the Sonata! Is the engine in-house or not?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Redrum wrote:
Love the Sonata! Is the engine in-house or not?

No, it's in-car. Interesting Advertising... 744742
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 11:15 am

As humans go, we're not always very rational creatures.... High priced items are often seen as "better" or are more revered just because of the price tag. Also, Debaufre sells direct so they're cutting the middleman (jewelry store), which makes a huge difference in the price.

As is often said, sometimes it's all about perception! :>)

G
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 11:25 am

I love the Carjack part of this thread but could have lived without knowing the Steven drives around without pants on.

Oh, and nice pic of the 757UTC.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 2:15 pm

G.Fox wrote:
As humans go, we're not always very rational creatures.... High priced items are often seen as "better" or are more revered just because of the price tag. Also, Debaufre sells direct so they're cutting the middleman (jewelry store), which makes a huge difference in the price.

G

Good to see ya here George...

Since you are in the business and see watches from the BUILD UP, what is your take on micro-brands vs. "the big boys...?"

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 9:15 am

Anomaly wrote:
G.Fox wrote:

G

Good to see ya here George...

Since you are in the business and see watches from the BUILD UP, what is your take on micro-brands vs. "the big boys...?"

I pop in whenever I can, Alan. Gotta see what you guys are up to! Twisted Evil

Well, since NFW is probably considerd a "micro-brand" then my response will probably sound biased, but I say what I mean & I mean what I say.... Very Happy

I like the micro-brands that generate their own original design work, which requires a great deal of investment in design, engineering, tooling, testing, etc. It also brings something new to you guys. But I really don't have much respect for the micro-brands that just pull together a bunch of existing components and slap their name on the dial & caseback.

With some of the better micro-brands you can really get a very nice watch for a pretty decent price, due in large part to the fact that you're not paying for the huge marketing budget that includes sponsoring major things such as yacht races, equestrian events, big-name celebrity endorsements, etc etc. Those things are all built in to the price of the watch. It's basic business math.

However, if you're buying as an investment or to recoup your purchase price down the road, it seems as though the micro-brands won't be able to do that, in comparison to some of long term, big brands who have a very long heritage behind them and can be counted on to hold their value. Personally, I don't buy watches for investment or the prestige factor. So, I prefer what I'm seeing from a few of the micro-brands. But I'd love to have a few major pieces from the "big boys" too (LOL, wouldn't we all?!).

That's my 2 cents... Wink
Best,

G
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:42 am

Great reply George!

After NFW, what are some of your favorite Micro-Brands?

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 2:22 am

Anomaly wrote:
Great reply George!

After NFW, what are some of your favorite Micro-Brands?

I really like what Deep Blue's doing, Lum-Tec has some cool stuff, and those guys in Australia who ship the watches in some indigenous wooden box (been a long day and the name escapes me at the moment!).

I guess Android's probably not a micro-brand but I really admire the creativity and ethics of Wing. He and I have known each other for years. So, I always put in a good word for Wing.

Of the more high-end brands, that are a bit off the beaten path, I love the work done by Richard Mille, Anonimo, and Graham. Some of the asymetry in the ViperFish was influenced by a diver that Anonimo does. It's been interesting to watch the evolution of U-Boat transform themselves from a mid-level brand into more of a luxury brand. They've got some very cool stuff.

With something like a Richard Mille, you just can't even come close to fully appreciating it unless you can hold one in your hands and really examine the work that went into it. Truly phenomenal pieces of functional art.

Anyway, that's the stuff I like! Just my opinions & tastes. Wish I could afford some of them!

G
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 2:37 am

George, the Australian company... Kremke?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 2:47 am

porschefan wrote:
George, the Australian company... Kremke?

No, not Kremke. Although I hear they do some nice work (but personally haven't held one in my hands).... Man, my brain's like a sieve the last couple weeks! Well, if anyone knows the name of the Australian watch company (heck, or is it New Zealand?) that packs the watch in this cool indigenous wooden box, let me know! Anyway, their watches are pretty darn nice and the packaging is a nice touch.
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 2:54 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 2:59 am

barnbuilder wrote:
Magrette

http://www.magrette.com/

Touchdown! Homerun! Ta Da! Yes, that's it, Ron! Thank you. Now I can finally go to sleep (2 AM and the kids will be up in about 4 hours).

Magrette. I've only seen a couple of them but there was something about 'em that really stuck with me (LOL - just not the name!). The Maori artwork engraved on the cases is stunning.

And for anyone who wants to experience a phenomenal part of the world: make a beeline for New Zealand. A few years back I spent a month mountain-biking thru NZ. One of my favorite places on the planet.

cheers
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 3:06 am

Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:30 am

barnbuilder wrote:
I've come close to getting one, nice looking watches.

http://www.magrette.com/the-timepieces-moana-pacific.php

http://www.magrette.com/the-timepieces-moana-pacific-diver.php

I would like their DLC model but I cant find it anywhere...

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 11:46 am

cski wrote:

The other four do not use "catalog" bought cases available to anyone who visits the Hong Kong watch fair with enough money to put up for the minimum order quantity. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Advertising...   Interesting Advertising... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting Advertising...
Page 1 of 1