The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono

Go down 
+3
Northwestguy
Anomaly
PoliMalaka
7 posters
AuthorMessage

An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono Empty
PostSubject: An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono   An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:22 pm

As some may recall, my fave watchmaker was clearing out his treasure trove of timepieces at fire sale prices last month and I let out that I picked up something from him as a gesture of his great service at overhauling all my watches over the years and hinted at what that could be. Well this is it - the retro-new Tissot PRS 516 chrono with the bombproof Valjoux 7750 inside.

Considering the Swatch group's selling the ebauche for around $400 I could prolly chop the watch up and turn a hefty profit on this if I had to, but of course that won't happen. Wearing this today in fact, it's pretty comfy on the racing inspired moisture-treated leather strap with butterfly deployant buckle. For something that only goes for roughly $1300 retail Tissot didn't cut too many corners in its production, given its price point. Better pics to come - apologies for the only pics I have of it being some comparo shots with the Speedmaster Mark IV as I took these in case the Mark IV didn't come back to me since I sent the Mark IV off to a WIS friend to try on for a few days - but the details are pretty decent for its selling price. The logo on the deployant could have been acid etched rather than being embossed, it sports a bit of stamped guilloche on the sub registers for a more classically elegant look, the crown is signed with the Tissot 'T' logo as is the yellow running chrono seconds hand, the carbon fiber dial looks to be authentic (to my untrained eye at least) and the IP treated bezel has all markings paint-filled for a nice clean touch. The modern ETA 7750 with 25 jewels seems to have improved the feel of its button actuation quite a bit over the vintage 7750's with which I'm more accustomed - it's almost on par with how the column-wheel driven cal. 321 in my pre-moon Speedy Pro feels, and that's saying a lot.

Drawbacks? Sure, there are a few. First of which, though no fault of the watch but the 7750 is a pretty thick movement as we all know, so the ride height is somewhere around 16mm which is almost borderline too thick for me, especially coming off wearing a Speedy Pro at 12.5 mm. Then again my Speedmaster Mark IV you see here's pretty plump as well and that's got a thinner Lemania mechanism inside. The movement itself is unadorned, but again I wasn't expecting perlage and geneve stripes on a Tissot, LOL Another thing is that you're not getting mulitple layers of SL lume on the hands and indices like you do with a Blancpain or IWC so the intense glow is going to fade after a few minutes, but again this is not a $10k Fifty Fathoms. Lastly, reflecting on the overall look - the PRS 516's square serifs to the font Tissot uses on the bezel doesn't affect me as much anymore, but initially I felt that it lacked any prettiness, yet seeing as how the whole watch seems to be invoking that 'racing-inspired' image down to the transparent case back made to look like a wooden Les Lestoon steering wheel off a vintage MG then I guess it sort of works. Anyhoooo... I'll try and add some glamour shots in the thread when I have a chance but that's it for now.

Thanks!

An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono 1102-IMG_4869-1k

An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono 1102-IMG_4865-1k
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono   An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Although a bit busy, I love the design of this line of Tissots. I often wish I'd picked up that one when it was on sale at watchseller for around $450.

Here is mine. Great snag!!

An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono E67aa0b9
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono   An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Great pics and nice snag!

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono   An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:14 pm

Even though the Tissot has alot going on from the bezel to the dial, it looks easy to read. Nice pick-up and it sits just fine along side the omega.
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono   An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Congrats on your new tissot!! Its one sweet looking watch with a rock solid movement. Enjoy it. Steve
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono   An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Waruilewi, you really made out TREMENDOUSLY well with your watchmaker, and picking up
this Tissot ! cheers ..This watch just has so much character in my opinion. From the sporty,
yet smooth, and classy outside of the watch, to the legendary movement inside of it. You
really have a very beautiful watch right here. What's so nice about it, is that you get all of
the Tissot style, history, along with quallity in an especially cool package with the PRS 516.
The way the bezel is done for instance with it's unique number look, and color combinations
is excellent. You get that mean flat black finish, with some vibrant yellow numbers, as well
as markings that show up very nicely. Also enjoying how those large hash marks are over
on the left side instead of on the right. It's extremely cool looking ! Cool To tell the truth the
whole look, as well as color combination is something you don't always see much. So that
right there, makes things more intriguing imho. On top of the look, or style of the bezel, it
also helps the dial look a little bigger as well, because of them being the same color as one
another. What's also GREAT is how the dial takes all of the same themes from the bezel,
and then takes them up some extra notches too. The black dial with it's carbon fiber mixes
sport, and class flawlessly. It looks amazing, AND manages to set off all of the various
accents on the dial also. You have the yellow that carries over in the form of that incredible
T-shaped second hand, while a variety of white, and red accents seem to add even more
enjoyment to things as well. That chapter ring is especially noticeable with it's combination
of red, and white. Even the font of the numbers matches up with the look of the numbers
on the bezel. WOW ! An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono 46145 Those sub-dials have a uniquely cool shape as well, and also have
some of the same colors involved in them. Yet another continuing theme on your new Tissot
Waruilewi is the look of the markers, and hands. They have this attractive rectangle theme
that is shared by the hands also. Together they almost act as extensions of themselves
when they get near eachother. That smaller part at the top of the minute, along with hour
hand is off the charts by the way. It genuinely adds more character to the look, and feel
of the watch in my opinion sir, and it genuinely makes the watch VERY memorable. Just
the way in which everything comes together with the watch is hypnotizing ! Both the bezel,
along with dial seem to be energized by their marking, numbers, and accents colors. Then
you notice the quality, workmanship, and shape of the watch case itself. The length of
it alone, and how those lugs look is just TREMENDOUS ! ..It's again something you don't
see on other watches, and it shows how Tissot can pay tribute to it's past, while also
showing you what they can do today ! Smile Want to also mention that the strap with those
great looking sporty holes in it is terrific as well. They also have that connection to past
watch models, but fit in perfectly right now as well. This has to be one of the reasons
why this watch is so memorable Waruilewi. The overall design is very cool, and very modern.
However, at the very same time, it has a classic, and legendary feel about it, that seems
familiar. It's that combination of past, and present that helps this Tissot PRS 516 of your's
so tremendous, along with memorable ! Congratulations on picking this one up sir ! ..Enjoy !

Tremendous watch, as well as pictures !

Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono   An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 10:39 pm

Very Nice....Tissot has great designs.....

An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono   An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:09 am

I'm not into Tissots, but your new one is sick!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono   An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An unveiling - the Tissot PRS 516 chrono
Page 1 of 1