The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MY state of the hobby...

Go down 
+7
andrema
sixtysix
Northwestguy
AtomicTom
pacifichrono
barnbuilder
Anomaly
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

MY state of the hobby... Empty
PostSubject: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 11:05 am

Hello XMT,

Just wanted to take a few minutes and let you guys know what is going on with me and watch collecting lately...

While I still love watches, I find myself spending a lot more time on PC and PC Gaming right now. I think this is happening for a couple of reasons; the biggest reason is that my son is really into gaming as well and it's a fun way for us to bond and spend time together.

2nd, Being VERY content with my collection, I am not on WUS every day any more looking to see what is for sale; I have been through the "buy every watch you see, sell a bunch, get the ones you REALLY want phase." I know I like bracelets better that straps, mesh the best, and like 3-hands over chronos.

3rd, and this is just Alan BEING Alan, I find absolutely nothing of value in "discussing, bashing, educating the newbs," or whatever term someone may want to insert when it comes to Invicta and whoever may be representing them, I'd rather not talk about watches at all if that is all that is "on the table..."

As far as PCs are concerned, they are an ever changing beast, new ways to tweak your machine, new ways to use it, and to be honest, while there is heated discussion on the PC forums, you don't see BRAND bashing. Some people support AMD, some Intel, some Nvidia, others ATI..but the enjoyment of computers and gaming, programming, etc. takes precedence over BRAND.

All this said, XMT is staying open, it always had been and always will be a member driven site. Mark (Andrema) has ALWAYS done a great job here and I have asked him to kind of "take the wheel" for a while and keep the ship chugging along.

Barnbuilder (Ron), Smellody (Chris), and Tazman (Steve) are also here to assist the members as needed.

So I will be here, on a daily basis, but will leave much of the future CONTENT of the site up to Mark, the rest of the XMT team, and to you guys, the members!

Thanks to EVERYONE who is a member here and keep enjoying WATCHES!

Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 12:27 pm

I feel about the same as you Alan, with the exception I still got this huge desire to working on and building watches and I'm searching everyday for hard to find movements, dials for that one of a kind watch to make. There are a few watches that I would love to have in the future and I'm in no hurry, they will be there when I decide to get them. Right now, like you, I'm spending a lot of my time with other things I enjoy.
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Doesn't sound like the z-freak I know. What have you done with the REAL Alan???

MY state of the hobby... 744742
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 1:08 pm

pacifichrono wrote:
Doesn't sound like the z-freak I know. What have you done with the REAL Alan???

MY state of the hobby... 744742

Hey, I will always enjoy you vintage collection bro!

Maybe I will bust out the camera and try to take some new shots of my watches...

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm thinking you have to do what makes you happy Alan, and it really does sound
like you are having alot of fun spending time with your son. Being able to share an
interest like gaming with him is just priceless in my opinion. On top of all of that, it's
easy to tell you have a real passion for the hobby. ..Hearing, seeing, and learning
about what you have been up to lately has been very very cool. Cool Also think it's
really interesting how you describe the hobby as a whole, as well as the forums
connected with it. Guess there are many similarities, but also some real differences
between the two also. In any case, I want to congratulate you on finding another
great hobby to enjoy. Also want to add that maybe in a way, gaming might actually
help recharge your batteries with watches in the long run. MY state of the hobby... 803574 ..In the meantime, I'm
sure Mark, Ron, Chris, Steve, along with everyone here will keep things Xtreme.
..THX alot !

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Who cares? To be honest, I learned long ago, if I take an absence from a forum, no one gives a damn. First Jim leaves watchgeeks, now Alan is leaving XMT.....oh woe as me....... Sorry , no one cares.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:46 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Who cares? To be honest, I learned long ago, if I take an absence from a forum, no one gives a damn. First Jim leaves watchgeeks, now Alan is leaving XMT.....oh woe as me....... Sorry , no one cares.

Love you too Chef!

LOL!

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Hey Alan, best wishes to you and yours! A man has got to do what a man has got to do! I know we will see you here and there.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 5:03 pm

I bounce from hobby to hobby .....card colleting, computers, autographs, photography, knives, guns, motorcycles....and for the last 5 years watches. I still enjoy all those other things, just don't put a lot of time or energy into them. Someday I will lose interest in this as well and move on to something else....or get back into something I used to do since it's all new in a few years. You'll be back (or should I say, you will never leave completely). This is just on the back burner for now. No biggie.... MY state of the hobby... 803574

MY state of the hobby... Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 5:26 pm

Same thing happened at BDWF some years ago. Don Ruch was the guy who actually created BDWF (originally InvictaTalk) in the wake
of the Armageddon at WUS in 2005. After about a year or year and a half, Don found himself losing interest and passed the reins (including
ownership) to four other guys (dxomas, furdog, foghorn, and natgas).

Those things happen. As my collection has evolved over the past ten years or so of forum activity, I find my own interest flagging
somewhat. I think for me it relates to acquiring many of my grails and becoming a lot more content with my resulting collection.

Of course, now that I say this, I'll probably get a wild hair and go on another buying spree next month! Twisted Evil

Who knows... MY state of the hobby... 766404
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 5:43 pm

Watches...they just tell time!

Time spent with loved ones and enjoying yourself is as good as it ever gets...

Bravo Alan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 6:16 pm

I know the feeling, sometimes you have a lull in any hobby. Haven't bought anything new in a long time. Been focusing a lot on doing some builds as Ron can attest to. I've been inundating him with PM's with requests for info....he's been a HUGE help!

I can understand the PC addiction after seeing the killer graphics on that new rig!!
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:07 pm

I appreciate the opportunity Alan. Horology is still pretty strong hobby for me, so I look forward to helping move XMT in the right direction!

Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:07 pm

I think you will be a lot happier doing it like this, You are still here but the computers are your new thing and its great that you and your son can do this together. Steve
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:38 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
First Jim leaves watchgeeks, now Alan is leaving XMT.....
What's the scoop on Jim and WG? scratch
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 9:40 pm

pacifichrono wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

Invicta assumed sole ownership of WG (officially).
Jim stepped away (to Facebook).
Michael elevated to Web Czar (literally).
Tim Temple to fill gap for Jim on WG (Ask Jim & Sneak Peeks).

Little changed really...
Invicta was always the primary sponsor of WG.
Jim was already limiting his WG involvement.
Michael has always been the HAHIC.
Tim's new involvement is the only real difference.
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 9:48 pm

But back to topic....

Well Alan all good things come to an end. Really glad you started this place and I'm grateful for that.

For me, one minute I'm totally focused on a new thing till my curiosity becomes sufficiently satiated - then it's on to the next new thing.

Like Tom (PC), the more grails I acquire and the more I learn, the further away I get from that initial curiosity. Too many hobbies - too little time/$$$.

Next grail due tomorrow BTW.

Onward
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 10:03 pm

jaw wrote:
pacifichrono wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

Hmmm...I wonder what Invicta paid the WG owners for the site. Not insignificant, I'll bet.

Alan: are you listening? MY state of the hobby... 744742
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 10:28 pm

I'm not leaving...LOL...it will just be fun to see what others bring to the table...

Senior Associate
TVDinner

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 10:37 pm

pacifichrono wrote:
jaw wrote:
pacifichrono wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

Hmmm...I wonder what Invicta paid the WG owners for the site. Not insignificant, I'll bet.

Alan: are you listening? MY state of the hobby... 744742

I bet you it WAS NOT that much. That site had no value as far as generating ad driven revenue as it was already being 100% funded by Invicta as was well known. Supposedly Invicta was paying for the operating expenses of the site (hosting, renewals, etc). They were probably paying $250-500 a month for a dedicated server (probably needed due to traffic and bandwidth used). I am guessing, but that is probably right.

Again thought, there is no value to the forum. Value of any site is typically calculated by taking what the site earns through ads times a multiple of 3 years. WG generates...nothing.

The value of the site to Invicta is simply that they get an established forum to become their official brands forum - which it was already before this completely pointless announcement and new arrangement.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Are you saying that I paid too much Tom?

Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 11:04 pm

Anomaly wrote:
I'm not leaving...LOL...it will just be fun to see what others bring to the table...
Maybe it's time to bring in your investment bankers to negotiate a deal with The Swatch Group. Very Happy

Actually, now that I'm retired, I could represent you. Just front me travel costs to Switzerland and it's GAME ON!

MY state of the hobby... 74725
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 1:02 am

Dork...
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 1:45 am

andrema wrote:
Are you saying that I paid too much Tom?
Maybe you got a bargain. Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Agreed there are so many things infinitely more rewarding.

Good move, Alan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MY state of the hobby...   MY state of the hobby... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MY state of the hobby...
Page 1 of 1