The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch... Empty
PostSubject: The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch...   The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 2:10 pm

The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch: Plastic, Disposable, And A Product Of T

The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch... 2431710-11805884-thumbnail

Something about the J.Crew / Timex military watch never really jived with us. They claimed it was designed after a watch built to military specifications in the 1940s, but we could never actually find that watch. Even when we went into the vault at Timex, we saw watches from the 1940s, but they didn't look anything like the modern interpretation that we see so often on the wrists of the young menswear set. So, we went on a mission to discover where this design came from, and when, if ever, Timex had a military contract to make wristwatches. We found the watch that inspired the J.Crew piece, but we came to realize that it wasn't from the 1940s at all, but rather from the first half of 1982. And the story doesn't end there.

more: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2011/4/20/the-history-of-the-real-timex-military-watch-plastic-disposa.html
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch...   The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 2:27 pm

I knew that Benrus made a plastic watch from the 70's for the military, but never heard this story before.

Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch...   The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 5:59 pm

Great story, I commented on it. I have the JCrew Timex and like it..it's cool little watch. Anybody who thinks it's something other than a quartz fashion piece didn't read the ad copy carefully from JCrew...words like 'style' are important.

The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch... Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch...   The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 7:23 pm

My recollection from 1966-67 is that Marine Corps infantry squad leaders (typically E-5 sergeants) and above were typically issued drab-green plastic watches (similar to that pictured above). However, my research and purchases of military watches from that era only include metal watches. Dunno why... scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch...   The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 8:34 pm

What a great history lesson Guy ! study ..To tell the truth, I really did
not know much if anything about this watch here, or when Timex
stopped making the mechanical movements either. I really like the
military style of these particular watches here, as well as the whole
rare factor. Don't think I could throw one out if it stopped working
though. Smile ..Terrific info, and link. Thanks alot !

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch...   The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The History of the REAL Timex Military Watch...
Page 1 of 1