The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

One single dial feature you love best?...

Go down 
+6
merichar
mrneddles
andrema
barnbuilder
AtomicTom
thianwong
10 posters
AuthorMessage
thianwong
Senior Associate

One single dial feature you love best?... Empty
PostSubject: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 5:02 pm

We all have seen amazing watches here on XMT but I am curious if anyone has his own peculiar love of a particular design feature. For me, it is the Omega hand set on my X-33. The minute hand thin, pointed shape and how it extends into the minute marker, the large hour hand trianular pointer....visually 'turns me on' haha! Reading time quickly is perfect with this design IMO. I have many stick hands styled watches, classic Seiko arrowhead handsets, Omega Bond skeleton hands........but the X-33 is my favorite.......how about you guys??! Any one watch feature you subconsciously look for in your watches?

One single dial feature you love best?... 5058763101_feeb19e95c_b
dial view by thianwong1, on Flickr

This Seiko 2000 Landtrek model's minute hand is also 'very pointy' and makes me feel good when I view it haha!

One single dial feature you love best?... 4990858679_d92b07db7d_b
landtrekBeaded bracelet wristview 002 by thianwong1, on Flickr

This amazing 1960s Japanese RICOH homage to Rolex president shows a very pointed handset, which I like......but the reflecting BLING detracts abit from fast, exact time reading hehehe!

One single dial feature you love best?... 5608853209_d2fe1e4ac7_b
large dialview by thianwong1, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Really TERRIFIC question Thian ! ..Let's see, I REALLY look at the hands too by the way. cyclops
However, let me go with number, or marker style. Many times that is one of the first dial
features that catches my eye, and that I enjoy sir. Especially if it's a little different looking,
and stands out from other designs. At the same time I like the classic looking markers,
along with numbers come to think of it also.

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 9:33 pm

As far as hand sets, the Sinn U1 by far is my favorite I-don't-have-yet watch. Unique, one of a kind, cool as hell!
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:20 pm

I look for the lume and a clean dial in my watches I buy.
great Seiko you have!
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 11:43 pm

I like the dials to be simple and not "busy". Too many of the TV brands have dials that have all sorts of styling and fancy stuff on the dial....definitely not my style!

Associate
mrneddles

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 12:13 am

I like texture or pattern, like on my LW 3-Timer:
One single dial feature you love best?... Ry%3D400
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 12:18 am

I like a clean simple dial and good contrast between dial and hands for readability. A little color to make sweep second hand stand out.
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 12:36 am

Probably too many peeves to mention - very picky about dial features. But I'll try...I love the following:

• Extra/fine sub-minute index markers
  • Metallic hands
  • Domed crystal
  • Thin second hand with proportional counter weight
  • Sharp needle pointed hands with distinct shape difference between hour and minute
  • Simple sans-serif number font (no italics)
  • Matte finish dials with/without subtle/tasteful etching
  • Reverse white on black date wheel (red Sunday if day present)
  • Busy is ok, as long as it's functional with sufficient attention to legibility contrast

Probably why I like my PO so much, as it has most of these features.
One single dial feature you love best?... Ega_SeamasterPO_2210_51_01_jaw-vi

Last edited by jaw on Mon May 02, 2011 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 12:48 am

3-hand, date, nothing else needed...

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 7:07 am

Appliqué markers
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 7:21 pm

I like my dials clean, with applied markers, framed date window. Just like this one!!
One single dial feature you love best?... PB084929bsw8
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: All great responses...thank you!....   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 6:41 am

Seems you guys have chosen every dial feature to enjoy and prefer...from texture to specific number font (sans serif, for instance).
There is no one element pleasing all! No one mentioned dial size, however.
My watch collection ranges all over the design map! I just bought a vintage Zodiac GMT from tne 90s and it represents, to me, the Rolex vintage 60s/70s GMT. One of the main elements attracting me was the pepsi colored bezel, the clean dial and the toolish sense.
Thanks for all your posts!

One single dial feature you love best?... 5673397617_7629ee7c91_b
ziodiac views by thianwong1, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 4:05 pm

thianwong wrote:
Seems you guys have chosen every dial feature to enjoy and prefer...from texture to specific number font (sans serif, for instance).
There is no one element pleasing all! No one mentioned dial size, however.
My watch collection ranges all over the design map! I just bought a vintage Zodiac GMT from tne 90s and it represents, to me, the Rolex vintage 60s/70s GMT. One of the main elements attracting me was the pepsi colored bezel, the clean dial and the toolish sense.
Thanks for all your posts!

One single dial feature you love best?... 5673397617_7629ee7c91_b
ziodiac views by thianwong1, on Flickr

Oh WOW Thian, what a beautiful Zodiac there ! One single dial feature you love best?... 46145 ..There is something very special about
that GMT look like you mentioned sir, and the pepsi dial is TOO GOOD ! Extremely cool looking
markers here also. Congratulations !!!!

By the way, just wanted to add in another dial feature that often gets my attention, which would
be the color of it. Many times dial color is a feature that draws me in. Especially if I don't have many
of a particular color, have too many of a certain color, or just enjoy a color, or see something a
little different.

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Hands and indices...........I think they go together as one item.
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 7:52 pm

Northwestguy wrote:
Hands and indices...........I think they go together as one item.

Thats a great point john, I agree with that 100%
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:40 am

Rolex style Day/Date configuration, and large dial openings with thin bezels.....
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 7:22 am

Tom, yes indeed, we often overlook the importance of dial color and that is or can be culturally biased. For instance, Japanese have a wider color palette often drawing upon the myriad colors of flowers which Japan loves! Thus, we see this in the G Shock dials! Diver watches tend to be black or orange. Dress watch dials can range the gamut from white to black and all shades in between!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 7:33 pm

thianwong wrote:
Tom, yes indeed, we often overlook the importance of dial color and that is or can be culturally biased. For instance, Japanese have a wider color palette often drawing upon the myriad colors of flowers which Japan loves! Thus, we see this in the G Shock dials! Diver watches tend to be black or orange. Dress watch dials can range the gamut from white to black and all shades in between!

What a great observation Thian. Honestly never thought of it like that, and you are definitely
right about the G-Shocks as well. There are so many different looks, along with colors that
people can choose from it's amazing. You also really put into perspective the whole black,
along with orange theme with dive watches. ..Not to mention dress watches often being
either white, or black so often. It's really interesting stuff ! ..Thank you ! One single dial feature you love best?... 803574

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 6:13 am

for me it would have to be the cut-out dial numbers... i'm a big fan of the "sandwich dial"...

One single dial feature you love best?... IMG_31071
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One single dial feature you love best?...   One single dial feature you love best?... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One single dial feature you love best?...
Page 1 of 1