The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Panerai movement scandal...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Panerai movement scandal... Empty
PostSubject: Panerai movement scandal...   Panerai movement scandal... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:47 pm

There is a big controversy currently going on in the Paneristi world regarding the movements that were used in the PAM 318 Special Edition "Brooklyn Bridge" watches. Instead of having a decorated movements, like the OPII from the PAM 414 installed, subpar movements have been utilized in the PAM 318.

As you look at the pictures below and read the links, please keep in mind that the 318 is a $5,000 watch! These are two threads that go through the entire story, with all of the sorted details...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... ous+PAM318

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/t ... ners+Unite

Let's start with a couple of pics of this BEAUTIFUL watch!

Panerai movement scandal... PAM318e
Panerai movement scandal... PAM318h
Panerai movement scandal... PANERAI318z
Panerai movement scandal... Panerai318y

Here you have some pics from the PAM 414 movement (OP II) and the PAM 318 movement (OP XXIX) The movement from the PAM 414 is presented first, with the corresponding picture of the PAM 318 movement right after...quite a difference and I can see why folks are up in arms about this!

Panerai movement scandal... 414q
Panerai movement scandal... 318n
Panerai movement scandal... 414c
Panerai movement scandal... 318o
Panerai movement scandal... 414l
Panerai movement scandal... 318b
Panerai movement scandal... 414n
Panerai movement scandal... 318z
Panerai movement scandal... 414i
Panerai movement scandal... 318c
Panerai movement scandal... 414e
Panerai movement scandal... 318e
Panerai movement scandal... 414f
Panerai movement scandal... 318l
Panerai movement scandal... 414h
Panerai movement scandal... 318f
Panerai movement scandal... 414o
Panerai movement scandal... 318i

^
^
|
|

IMO that is a complete disgrace and OP should offer all owners of the PAM 318 either - A full refund, A replacement movment and/or free inspection to satisfy any current owners angziety over this issue!

Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: Panerai movement scandal...   Panerai movement scandal... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 2:29 pm

WOW !! Its hard to believe that a company like panerai would do something like this. If i were a customer i would exspect a full refund and i would never do biz with them again!!! that is the cheapest movement you could put in it, Well atleast it wasnt stamped CHINA.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Panerai movement scandal...   Panerai movement scandal... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 2:48 pm

This is some of the literature on what was supposed to be included in the "Brooklyn Bridge" PAM 318...

Panerai movement scandal... PANERAI318e

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Panerai movement scandal...   Panerai movement scandal... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 9:18 pm

That is really something Mark. Shocked Can imagine how shocked people must have been when
they found out about this. The movements not only don't seem to be decorated like the very
first one is, but then they kind of look scratched up, and rough around the edges also. ..It is
definitely surprising that's for sure. Plus it actually makes you think about other elite companies
too, and if maybe they aren't always giving you that movement you are expecting inside the
case either.

Really GREAT info Mark ! Thank you very much for letting us know about this.

andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Panerai movement scandal...   Panerai movement scandal... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 4:09 pm

UPDATE - Angelo Bonati, OP President, offered owners of the PAM 318 to replace the movements at his own, personal expense (minus shipping and handling). In addition, he added that the movements that were used are not inferior to what was supposed to be used...give me a break!!

Minus shipping and handling...are you kidding me? That is a slap in the face!

I have lost complete trust in Panerai and question whether I will ever buy one of their watches.

This is his actual response at PPF:http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/message/1320922854/Official+update+on+the+318+from+the+desk+of+Sig.+Bonati......

"Anyone who choses to can have their movement switched out on the 318. This will be done free of charge via the LA and NY boutiques only, but will exclude transportation costs and insurances. Please note the movement currently supplied is not inferior nor implied as such. The change order is purely for those who wish to take advantage of this option and offer.

Please note. The words employed here are mine and typed in haste as I travel home. I just wanted to pass this offer on. So please no replies based on content or choice of words.

Paddy"

Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Panerai movement scandal...   Panerai movement scandal... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 3:36 am

I can see your point with the movement pictures, particularly the plate finishing, but is'nt 5k for a Panerai an entry level model?
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: Panerai movement scandal...   Panerai movement scandal... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 1:08 pm

Wow- Can't say I have ever seen a movement that was that "unfinished." The detailed movement is not really even that detailed and is finished to the exact level (at least to my eyes) of the movement in my Victorinox. The boys over at Swatch put a little more effort into the movement of my Railmaster. . .and it is not a $5K watch.
Panerai movement scandal... Dscn2490
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Panerai movement scandal...   Panerai movement scandal... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Panerai movement scandal...
Page 1 of 1