The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wouldn't it be cool...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Wouldn't it be cool... Empty
PostSubject: Wouldn't it be cool...   Wouldn't it be cool... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Wouldn't it be cool if there were more watch movement choices ?

Not that the movements available for all of the watches we see, and have aren't
great, but wouldn't it be great to see, or have more options ? ..Maybe we could
see movements from your favorite watch company for example, or even a brand
new movement maker or something.

Just seems like there would, or should be more companies other than the main
players making movements. This way we don't all have similar movements in
our watches, and in the long run it would maybe make the watch industry even
better. So what do you think ? Wouldn't it be cool to have more movement
choices ? What reasons do you think why there aren't more, and what favorite
watch companies of your's would you like to see make movements ?

Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Wouldn't it be cool...   Wouldn't it be cool... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 5:21 pm

Making you're own movements is expensive! Just ask RGM.......

http://www.watchtime.com/featured/roland-g-murphys-american/

I think there are lots of choices now, but not at the end of the spectrum you and I live in. The Chinese, Indians and Russians make dozens in our price range though....how many do you own? They are not widely accepted in the US. It would be great if some others made there own movements but would you trust them in a $100 watch? Sure I would........a $500 watch? I kind of want a proven movement at the higher end of the scale.

Wouldn't it be cool... Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Wouldn't it be cool...   Wouldn't it be cool... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 6:14 pm

More choices for us? Well, in the past Citizen's Miyotas were the standard used by many boutique brands. Seiko's SII offers quality quartz movements too. From a statistics viewpoint, China's Seagull company is pouring out their movements onto the international marketplace. I have several Chinese made watches with great movements- both are auto, handwinders. Quite reliable IMO. If one goes to the WUS Chinese Mechanical Watches forum, he will find the movement numbers...(I forget! hehe!). These appear in 'cheap' watches some times, so you have to open the caseback up and check the mvt #. Higher end Chinese movements are in Seagull watches, for example, which sell in the $400+ range.
And more and more European brands are buying into lots of Chinese movements, mainly Seagull ones! More cost efficient!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Wouldn't it be cool...   Wouldn't it be cool... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 12:08 am

Phenomenal points Gary, and Thian ! Wouldn't it be cool... 46145 Wouldn't it be cool... 46145

Gary, thanks for shedding some light on all of those movements from different countries sir.
Thanks for the link as well ! Wouldn't it be cool... 803574 I like that proven movement idea a lot. More ETA type, or
Sellita type movements. More Seiko type, Citizen type, etc. but from more companies. I know
it can be expensive to make your own movements like RGM here. Those would be on the
higher end I guess, and that would be great to see from many more of the higher end watch
companies that make watches, but not their own movements. Could hopefully see that from
outside independent companies as well. Even could see similar things with less expensive
movements. Guess it would be up to the individual company, and if whether they wanted to
focus on high end, low end, or a little of both.

Outstanding stuff as well Thian ! Smile You are right about the various Citizen, and Seiko movements.
They are relied on so much by different watch companies it's unbelievable, and they both have
been doing their job as movement makers that is for sure ! ..So have the Chinese movement
makers like Seagull that you mention. Just wish there were other companies like Citizen, Seiko,
or Seagull both big, and small adding their own. The possibilities of companies doing it are endless
I guess. There are SO many watch companies, but really only a hand full in comparison that make
movements for themselves, or others. Maybe this will eventually change as time goes by. We
might have to wait a while, but think it would be great to see, and could even bring prices down.

Thanks once again guys !

Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Wouldn't it be cool...   Wouldn't it be cool... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 5:57 pm

As 66 mentioned, not many companies can afford inhouse movements. Orient comes to mind as a company which still makes great mechanical autos.
Here is a $6 Chinese watch with a DG (dixmont) or Hangshou 2813 auto and handwinding. It keeps time as good as my $2500 Omega Speedie! I kid you not! Mind you, accuracy is not the only reason for buying a watch Smile

Wouldn't it be cool... 6122863297_e90a947aec_b
Montage Artron sean connery by thianwong1, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wouldn't it be cool...   Wouldn't it be cool... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wouldn't it be cool...
Page 1 of 1