The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bland brands

Go down 
+3
andrema
PoliMalaka
Anomaly
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 4:49 pm

There are plenty of brands people rave about that are just bland to me. These are brands I do not dislike, just companies I can do without. Here's my limited list:

1. Croton
2. Fossil
3. Kenneth Cole
4. Panerai
5. Hublot
6. Bell & Ross
7. Orient
8. Alpha
9. Breilting
10. Patek

and yours...

Last edited by boscoe on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 4:52 pm

This thread is like asking, "do you think that chic is HOT?"

EVERY human eye sees things differently...

I wonder if you everyday, average person would recognize ONE of those brands outside Fossil or Kenneth Cole? Bland brands Icon_scratch

Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Raymond Weil
Bulova
Festina
Movado
Timex

Others to follow
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 4:58 pm

I can see that "A." I was musing (to myself) why I can never get excited about Croton. Then started thinking about bland brands in general.

Must add Hamilton to list.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 5:03 pm

boscoe wrote:
I can see that "A." I was musing (to myself) why I can never get excited about Croton. Then started thinking about bland brands in general.

Must add Hamilton to list.

Yeah, sounds like the plants I have in my front yard...

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 5:04 pm

Anomaly wrote:

I wonder if you everyday, average person would recognize ONE of those brands outside Fossil or Kenneth Cole? Bland brands Icon_scratch

Mary Anne or Ginger? Bland brands 744742
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 5:48 pm

First things to come to mind:
Patek Phillipe
Vacheron
Panerai
Hamilton
Tag Heuer straddles the line sometimes

BTW boscoe, ever since a while back, every time I see the photo in your avatar only one word comes to mind..."SMARMY".
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 6:16 pm

Seiko
Seiko
Seiko
Seiko
Seiko
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 6:20 pm

I can understand the Seiko thing. I'm not too fond of the company's design philosophy. The Grand Seiko line contains great watches with boring design. The low end stuff looks like it escaped from a 1960s Japanese TV cartoon (think Speed Racer).
Bland.
But I admire the fit and finish and superior technology. That's why I own them.
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 6:24 pm

cali kid wrote:
Seiko
Seiko
Seiko
Seiko
Seiko

. . . . ouch!

. . . Breitling, Breitling,Breitling,Breitling,Breitling,Breitling . . . .
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 6:29 pm

Docrwm wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

Mrs. Howell Bland brands Icon_twisted

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 6:34 pm

good answer amdrema!

"Lovie" was smokin' hot!
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 6:34 pm

HATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 6:39 pm

I pretty much agree with all mentioned, except for Panny and Breitling, either of which I would trade one of my kids for. Bland brands Icon_twisted
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 6:43 pm

The only true bland brand I can think of or agree with is Movado. When 90% of your line looks the same it's time to change it up boys.
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 6:45 pm

I just like to get the hair stand up on the back of neck on some of you!! Seiko cool but Breitling, (Blingling) bland! It's all in the eye of the beholder!
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:02 pm

cali kid wrote:
I just like to get the hair stand up on the back of neck on some of you!! Seiko cool but Breitling, (Blingling) bland! It's all in the eye of the beholder!

+1
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:37 pm

pacifichrono wrote:
I pretty much agree with all mentioned, except for Panny and Breitling, either of which I would trade one of my kids for. Bland brands Icon_twisted

HA!

Senior Associate
TVDinner

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Anomaly wrote:

I agree with this statement 100%. LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE DAY I wear one of my watches and someone comments on how much they like it, but have never heard of the brand. WE (watch collectors) know all these different brands BUT MOST people know timex, casio, seiko, rolex and the big name ones only.

good point Allan.
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:49 pm

i might get someone other than guys that work for me say something about the watch i wear maybe once a month!! Think better start wearing 55mm invicta's again!
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:50 pm

cali kid wrote:
Seiko
Seiko
Seiko
Seiko
Seiko

Bland brands 744742
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:51 pm

andrema wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

Mrs. Howell Bland brands Icon_twisted

Freak - just sayin' FREAK!
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm

Docrwm wrote:
cali kid wrote:
Seiko
Seiko
Seiko
Seiko
Seiko

Bland brands 744742

Think you might have me figured out by now doc, just a big trouble maker!! Bland brands Icon_jokercolor
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm

The only Movado I ever liked - bought 2 dial colors (Black and Yellow)

Bland brands Movado800_001b_jaw-vi
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:58 pm

Never have been a movado fan, just not refined enough to enjoy the museum dial! Bland brands Icon_jokercolor
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:05 pm

TVDinner wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

I agree with this statement 100%. LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE DAY I wear one of my watches and someone comments on how much they like it, but have never heard of the brand. WE (watch collectors) know all these different brands BUT MOST people know timex, casio, seiko, rolex and the big name ones only.

good point Allan.

The only time people ever commented on my watches was when I was wearing a clock on my wrist! Now that I wear watches in the 40 to 46mm range no one even notices!
Back to top Go down
TVDinner
Senior Associate
TVDinner

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:08 pm

bodypeersur1 wrote:
TVDinner wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

good point Allan.

The only time people ever commented on my watches was when I was wearing a clock on my wrist! Now that I wear watches in the 40 to 46mm range no one even notices!

sorry to hear that. I am wearing mostly 45-48mm watches, a few larger.
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:13 pm

bodypeersur1 wrote:
TVDinner wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

good point Allan.

Just not in a guys nature (unless he is a freak like us) to ask a total stranger about the watch he is wearing! ?Most of the stories you hear are people laughing about someone watches more than complimenting on it! they might say hey thats a nice watch, what brand is it and then laugh their ass of when walking away! Remember folks 40mm is a huge watch to the average non WIS any bigger than that and bozo comes to mind to most people!! Bland brands Icon_clown dont buy the crap that girls look hot with a russian diver on!! Very seldom will i ask someone about their watch. just feels kinda gay! Bland brands Icon_jokercolor
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:16 pm

TVDinner wrote:
bodypeersur1 wrote:
TVDinner wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

good point Allan.

sorry to hear that. I am wearing mostly 45-48mm watches, a few larger.

Don't be sorry! I find it quite humorous that people will comment on a 50mm watch that is questionably Swiss made but not even notice a Breitling or Omega....go figure.

Last edited by bodypeersur1 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:21 pm

TVDinner wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

good point Allan.

Very few comment on my watches. But mostly I wear long sleeves. But I did get a "nice watch" on my Clerc diver at a saloon on Saturday nite
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:22 pm

boscoe wrote:
TVDinner wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

good point Allan.

Very few comment on my watches. But mostly I wear long sleeves

And they're so close to the ground that its kinda hard for most folks to see them. Bland brands Affraid
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Nice Movado Jaw. I have owned a tonneau Movado for 25 years. Operates flawlessly.
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:25 pm

That actually made me laugh out loud doc - not just an LOL
Back to top Go down

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:25 pm

The only forum i've every been around that get all these compliments is WG's/shopnbc/invicta! Go read the rolex forum, breitling source, hell even seiko forum and everyone says the get a watch compliment a couple times a year!! Justt not in a guys nature to compliment another man!
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:28 pm

Funny Story - Last week, I was sitting in my tax attys office and I asked him about Christmas...you know "so how was your holiday, did you get anything exciting". Mind you, this guy is a watch freak (no pund intended) and has many high end watches. He said...I got two watches. One from my brother (a swiss army watch) and one from my dad...this freakishly huge Invicta. He then went on to say that he feels bad that he is not wearing it out, because his dad likes watches too. He said that he is imbarassed because it is way too big 50mm and he doesn't want to look like "Flava Flave".

I bring this up because it is the way that I feel about the bigger watches. I would rather people not notice them!

Not to mention, if you work in a business environment, it is nearly impossible to wear a large watch that will fit under a cuff. I know there are people who say that they wear them in a suit...I say BS...maybe a bee keeper suit!

I said my peace and sorry if I offended anyone!

Bland brands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bland brands   Bland brands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bland brands
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next