The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Soxa from Docrwm!

Go down 
+2
AtomicTom
Anomaly
6 posters
AuthorMessage

My Soxa from Docrwm! Empty
PostSubject: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:52 pm

Doc is putting up some of his watches for sale to snag a bigger fish. His first one was his Soxa 6309-7040. I believe he said this watch is around 20 years old. He recently aquired it but it just didn't SING to him! My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_albino Go figure! I fell in love with the watch the minute I saw it. I have been eyeing these for some time. Well, he tempted me so much I fell off the wagon. THAT DOITY SUMMABEECH! My Soxa from Docrwm! 832207 Anyway, it arrived yesterday. It came with a couple extra goodies also. A practically new Oyster bracelet, brand new black NATO, pepsi bezel and a zippered case. Well as soon as I took that bad boy out of the box it was sized and on my wrist. Other than some expected wabi this thing is SUHWEET!!! There isn't a major ding or scratch on this baby. The fit and finish is awesome and it's keeping great time. I love the cushion case with the crown at 4 o'clock. It feels fantastic on the wrist and I would safely say it's as comfortable as my Super Ocean.....and I'm damn partial to my SO let me tell ya. OK so enough of my rambling. Here's a few shots I took when I got home today. Thanks again Robert! This SUCKUH ROCKS! My Soxa from Docrwm! 933578 Thanks for looking! My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_biggrin

My Soxa from Docrwm! Picture267

My Soxa from Docrwm! Picture272

My Soxa from Docrwm! Picture269

My Soxa from Docrwm! Picture271

My Soxa from Docrwm! Picture268

My Soxa from Docrwm! Picture270

Last edited by bodypeersur1 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Great watch Duff! hard to not like a 6309 with a great dial and hand set like this one! Enjoy it bro.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:56 pm

That's sweet I love you

Congrats Duff cheers
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:58 pm

Very Cool Duff'ster!

Is that DOC guy ok to deal with? My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_twisted

Hard to believe that thing is 20 years old!

Congrats to ya both!

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:03 pm

Dealin with that Doc Dude was PERFECTAMUNDO!!! He's so cool he should be huggin trees!!!!! THAT'S HOW FREAKIN COOL HE IS!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:05 pm

DUFF, DUFF, thought you didnt have the coin!! You just threw my off track before i jumped on it!! My Soxa from Docrwm! 252943 Glad the watch stayed in the family and since you are such a seiko fanboy now maybe you need to sell the breitling!! My Soxa from Docrwm! 779569
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:08 pm

put the pepsi bezel back on it! you damn harley everything has got to be black! My Soxa from Docrwm! 832207

Last edited by cali kid on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:18 pm

Glad you like it Duff. It is from December 1984 as best I can figure it based on the caseback.

Very nice photos!

Wear it in great health My Soxa from Docrwm! 803574

1976 - 1988
Cal. 6309

150m divers

My Soxa from Docrwm! 6309

6309 gallery

Models:

Models with big cushion cases:

• 6309-7040 (all have big cushion cases and black bezels, though some have seen 6309-704X divers with blue-and-red bezels)
  • 6309-7049

Models with slimmed-down case:

• 6309-7290 (start of the use of slimmed-down cases, black-bezel version)
  • 6309-7290 with "17 JEWELS" on dial (Japan-made version, with black bezel)
  • 6309-729A (identical to 6309-7290 except with blue and red bezel)
  • 6309-729A with "17 JEWELS" on dial (Japan-made version, with blue and red bezel)
  • 6309-729B? (very rare model, with slimmed-down case and orange dial)
Details:
The 6309 divers replaced the 6105 as the standard models of 150m divers.
The 6309s were marketed outside of Japan while a version using the 6306 movement
was sold only in Japan (but for a relatively short 5 years).

The cal. 6309 movement is a successor of the 6105.
It has 17J and runs at 21,600 bph. It's non-hacking and has a quickset day/date calendar mechanism.

Like the 6105, there are 2 series of 6309 divers.
The earlier versions -- 6309-7040 and 6309-7049 -- are housed in big cushion cases and
have round markers. The later versions -- 6309-7290 and 6309-729A/729B -- have slimmed-down cases and rectangular markers
(which make them very similar to the current SKX007/173 models). While the earlier 6105 divers used the "turn and lock" crowns,
the 6309 crowns are all screw-down. The 6309 divers seem to all have bi-directional non-locking bezels.

Some people have asked how the 6309-7049 and 6309-7040 differ.
The consensus among S&C Forum collectors is that there's no difference
between the 6309-7040 and 6309-7049 models. John Davis/ei8hthoms explained that the last digit of the case number indicates a
regional code used for marketing (9 means N. America and 0 means elsewhere).

Mr. Tokunaga, the designer of many of Seiko's diver watches, has
provided some valuable historical info about the 6309/6306 divers here.

The 6309 and its brother the 6306 were both put into production in 1976
-- the cal. 6309 movement was designed first (and serves as the base
caliber for the 63 series of movements), but the 6306 diver was put
into production "slightly first," before the 6309. He also included a
scan of the original specification drawing for the 6309/6306 divers
as well as promotional pics of the 6309 and 6306 watches from early Seiko catalogs.

For a comparison of the details of the 6309-7040 and 6309-729A with lots of pics, check out Mark Skorji's post here.

There are many anecdotes of folks who have put their 6309s to the torture test.

NDT34321 writes:
<blockquote>
I've come out of lurking mode to present my version of an
extreme torture test on the 6309-7049 150mm diver... this watch spent
over 1100 hours underwater...I was a contract diver who worn the Sekio
as a good luck piece....not a part of my working system....I had made
a 4" rubber band cover out of a leg tourniquet to fit over the
watch...pipelay barge or dredge or jet barge divers and Non
Destructive Testng divers don't wear watches....strange?...Not
really..the limited visiablity conditions where my type of diving
takes place were river bottoms and mid harbors(the sekio was there)in
76 Boston Harbor USA had 12' of overburden above harbor floor(the 6309
was there)...biopsy (coreing sampling) a bridge spanning the
Mississippi.. easy current.. no visibility (the sekio was there)torque
valve on the hydraulic machine slammed my wrist into a piling...(the
seiko was there)I add that I did wear a 50cm depth gauge at all
times..the incident broke a bone in my wrist it moved the bezel to one
side..new bezel and crystal... the watch was find... destroyed my
GG..the Seiko had 5 years of this real time torture test... I also
played in my Sekio..this was a 24hr watch...the watch has been
restored now by IWW... Jack related not a spect of rust on the
movement... it is still my everyday watch though its diving days are
over...so when a watch is nominated as one of the most robust and
enduring divers... with a strong record to prove by....I believe my
unintentional real life torture test on my 6309 speaks well of the watch.
</blockquote>

The 6309 divers (like the 6105s before them) were extremely popular among the military.
Read the annecdotes here:
"17 Year Long Torture Test, Seiko 6309."

Ed Harris wore a 6309-704x in the 1989 movie "The Abyss."

In this 1983 photo, Mick Jagger is wearing a 6309-704x.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:21 pm

cali kid wrote:
DUFF, DUFF, thought you didnt have the coin!! You just threw my off track before i jumped on it!! My Soxa from Docrwm! 252943 Glad the watch stayed in the family and since you are such a seiko fanboy now maybe you need to sell the breitling!! My Soxa from Docrwm! 779569

As for the coin, let's just say Doc made me an offer I couldn't refuse. My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_twisted As for selling the Breitling, My Soxa from Docrwm! 869119 COME TO YOUR SENSES MAN!!!

cali kid wrote:
put the pepsi bezel back on it! you damn harley riders have to have everything black! My Soxa from Docrwm! 832207

That's right hot shot ALL BLACK!!! The only color that goes with BLACK is ORANGE Buddy!!!! And don't you forget it either!!!! My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:23 pm

TikkTakk wrote:
That's sweet I love you

Congrats Duff cheers

Thanks Silje! Great to see you! (HOT CHICK IN THE ROOM!!!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:23 pm

i'm going to send you a damn orange bezel for the watch! My Soxa from Docrwm! 832207
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:24 pm

Nice Soxa snag!! Looks great on the bracelet. Amazing things those 6309's...tons of them out there, all 20-30 years old and running strong. Seiko kicked @$$ with that one!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Wowee Duff ! My Soxa from Docrwm! 46145 Great watch sir ! CONGRATULATIONS on getting
one of Doc's watches ! I think these watches are FANTASTIC all the
way around. Really like that bezel !!! My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_cheers Flawless dial, markers and
the case shape is EXCELLENT ! What's EXTRA impressive imho is that
the watch is 20 years old ! My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_biggrin Doc keeps his watches in amazing shape
I think ! Now it's yours and I know it's found a good home ! Once again,
NICE pick up, I'm glad you got this one Duff ! ENJOY !!!!

sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 4:59 pm

Flat out nice watch!! Congrats Duff......

My Soxa from Docrwm! Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Great pick-up by you Duff! Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 6:08 pm

Doc's plan is working out well...he will have his Seiko Army up and ready to fight the mighty Swiss Army storm troopers My Soxa from Docrwm! 25866

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 6:29 pm

Nice watch.has some character.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Congratz Duff and you are right about that: "The only color that goes with BLACK is ORANGE!!!!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 6:59 pm

Wow, very cool Duff!! You got a winner there my friend.
Perry
Back to top Go down
jackprime1
Senior Associate
jackprime1

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Great looking watch Duffster....Enjoy that bad boy and great review by the way..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 11:05 am

I changed the shoes and socks on my Soxa the other day cuz Trevor said to quit bein such a Harley Dude. Well, you can take the Harley from the dude but you can't take the dude from the Harley. Anyway, I put changed it up for Trevor and actually..... (Oh how I hate saying this) .......I like it! Here's what it looks like with the pepsi bezel and black NATO!

My Soxa from Docrwm! Picture273

My Soxa from Docrwm! Picture274
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 4:00 pm

Im late to the party, but congrats on a sweet classic Duff!
Those old Seikos are just ubercool if you ask me. I prefer it with the black bezel though, like Henry Ford said: "You can have any colour you want, as long as it`s black"
Back in Black, baby! My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 4:03 pm

andrema wrote:
Doc's plan is working out well...he will have his Seiko Army up and ready to fight the mighty Swiss Army storm troopers My Soxa from Docrwm! 25866

cheers My Soxa from Docrwm! 196544
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 4:38 pm

By the way, I went to work on the brushed area of the case with my scotch-brite and scratch pen and now she's even MORE AWESOME!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 3:19 am

Nice, Duff! I like it even better with the Pepsi, but looks awesome any way you combo it!

ENJOY IT!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 4:21 am

looks good with the new strap!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 am

barnbuilder1 wrote:
Great watch Duff! hard to not like a 6309 with a great dial and hand set like this one! Enjoy it bro.

Brother, I completely missed this thread. What an incredible looking watch!! I love divers, especially retro divers and this is one sweet looking watch. It is awesome and I'm sure will have a permanent fixture in the rotation! CONGRATS!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 9:32 am

Hey I missed this thread along with 1000 others but that is a cool piece and even better with that pepsi bezel. Congrats on that piece and how many does that make in your collection now!!! Trevor didn't say fanboy I know. How many Duff? I have noticed a change but I couldn't put my finger on it until now. I will PM you about the Breitling. My Soxa from Docrwm! 744742 My Soxa from Docrwm! 744742 My Soxa from Docrwm! 744742
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Dale wrote:
Hey I missed this thread along with 1000 others but that is a cool piece and even better with that pepsi bezel. Congrats on that piece and how many does that make in your collection now!!! Trevor didn't say fanboy I know. How many Duff? I have noticed a change but I couldn't put my finger on it until now. I will PM you about the Breitling. My Soxa from Docrwm! 744742 My Soxa from Docrwm! 744742 My Soxa from Docrwm! 744742

Yeah, PM me all you want about the Breitling. My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_twisted You'll have to pry that baby out of my dead rigor-mortised hands!!! My Soxa from Docrwm! 869119
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Soxa from Docrwm!   My Soxa from Docrwm! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Soxa from Docrwm!
Page 1 of 1