The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shanghai Military Re-issue....

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Empty
PostSubject: Shanghai Military Re-issue....   Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:03 am

In the early 1970s, the Shanghai Watch Factory produced about 30,000 military dive watches for People's Liberation Army commanders and divers. Here's an example of one of the 24 jewel "SS4 movement" original versions from Joel Chan's wonderful Micmicmor collection (there was also a 29 jewel version):

Shanghai Military Re-issue.... 24jshm

Since that time, these pieces have become prized by collectors of vintage Chinese watches although most (although not all) of the surviving watches are well used and in rough condition.

Recently, the Shanghai Watch Factory produced a small run of a commemorative re-issue (evidently far less than 30,000 pieces) using a 22 jewel 2813 movement by Dixmont Guangzhou instead of one of their own movements. This actually makes sense since, according to WUS moderator Chascomm--who has an encyclopedic knowledge of these things--the 22 jewel DG is closer to either of the original 24 or 29 jewel movements than anything the Shanghai Watch Factory currently produces since the DG 2813 has "unidirectional auto-winding and centre seconds run indirectly off the 3rd wheel".

So, after the explanation/history...here's my much-prized re-issue...and I'm thrilled because this watch was a true GRAIL for me Very Happy

Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Shanghai_diver_2

Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Shanghai_diver_2a

Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Shanghai_diver_4

...and, yup, it does look a lot like the 62MAS...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Military Re-issue....   Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:18 am

. . . Again!!! I have yet to see one posted by you that I don't like!!!!!!!

. . . Getting weaker every time you do it. Keep it up, I'll cave in and have another level of compulsion to deal with . . . Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Suspect Shanghai Military Re-issue.... 744742
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Military Re-issue....   Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 12:39 pm

very nice Ron! big hour markers look great on this, what's the lome like? Enjoy it
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Military Re-issue....   Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Pretty awesome looking watch, I'm glad you got one!!

Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Military Re-issue....   Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:50 pm

Holy MOLY Ron !!!! Shanghai Military Re-issue.... 46145 Shanghai Military Re-issue.... 803574 Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Icon_smile ..What a neat looking watch ! The job
they did on the new re-issue is astounding ! The characteristics are
basically identical to the original. Those cool large markers, the hands,
dial, bezel and bracelet are flawless. I think the only difference I can
see is the second hand ! Which by the way, looks AWESOME ! Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Icon_cyclops The
watch is NICE, both inside and out sir, and your pictures show why
this is a GRAIL for you !..Congratulations on getting this, and of course
..Enjoy !!!

PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Military Re-issue....   Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Hey Ron, congratz on obtaining one that you've been salivating for! Looks awesome and quite a story.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Military Re-issue....   Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks for the kind words, everybody:

the lume is there but, in all fairness, it's not superluminova Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Icon_biggrin . I wouldn't say it's the watch's strong point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Military Re-issue....   Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Pretty cool! Seeing lots of reissues of classic pieces from a number of companies, that's another winner, congrats!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Military Re-issue....   Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Very cool watch Ron, it caught my eye yesterday! Shanghai Military Re-issue.... 74725
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Military Re-issue....   Shanghai Military Re-issue.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shanghai Military Re-issue....
Page 1 of 1