The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The most expensive watch ever bought...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

The most expensive watch ever bought... Empty
PostSubject: The most expensive watch ever bought...   The most expensive watch ever bought... Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 5:06 pm

Quite a piece...pocket change!!

The most expensive watch ever bought

The most expensive watch ever made was the result of a long lasting feud between two American financiers. During a time when most of the United States didn’t have two sticks to rub together the two businessmen, New York financier Henry Graves Jr. and Ohio automobile engineer James Ward Packard, duked it out in a game of “who can have the most ridiculous watch”.

Packard commissioned 13 complicated watches from Patek Philippe between 1900 and 1927 with complications including a perpetual calendar with phases and age of the moon, indication of sunrise and sunset, and a celestial chart depicting the constellations of stars in the sky over Packard’s home in Ohio.
Graves Jr. wasn’t going to roll over that easily, over a similar time period he comissioned complicated watched from the same guy who probably couldn’t believe his luck. To have two businessmen throwing money at you in the hope that you eventually roll over and say “this is as complicated as it gets” is surely a stroll up dream street for watch manufacturers.

The process eventually ended with a watch comissioned by Graves Jr. that boasted 24 complications. It took three years to design and five years to produce. The 24 carrat gold time piece was finished in 1933, had a different horological function for each hour of the day and included a chart of the night sky over Graves’ home in New York.

Triumphant in his victory, Graves died in 1953 leaving the watch to people lucky enough to be written into his will who sold the watch to the Time Museum in Rockford, Illinois. In 1999 the museum closed and their collection of watches was sold off at a Sotheby’s auction. With a pre-sale estimate of $3 million, the Graves watch eventually sold for $11,003,500 to an anonymous collector.

That’s around half a million dollars for every complication in the watch and whoever bought it will be lucky enough to know how bright it is at the home of its original owner.

$11,003,500

The most expensive watch ever bought... The-graves-watch

original source --->>> http://blog.watchsuperstar.com/index.php/2009/04/21/the-worlds-most-expensive-watches/

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: The most expensive watch ever bought...   The most expensive watch ever bought... Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 10:13 pm

DEFINITELY a beautiful watch !!! The most expensive watch ever bought... Icon_cyclops The most expensive watch ever bought... Icon_cheers ..Just a little pricey ! The most expensive watch ever bought... Alien
..Some of the other watches from that link are ridiculously NICE
as well !..YOWZA !!!..Thanks !

PostSubject: Re: The most expensive watch ever bought...   The most expensive watch ever bought... Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 10:16 pm

Well, at least it wasn't made by some micro brand for that price.

The most expensive watch ever bought... 744742
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most expensive watch ever bought...   The most expensive watch ever bought... Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 11:21 pm

porschefan wrote:
Well, at least it wasn't made by some micro brand for that price.

The most expensive watch ever bought... 744742

Tim, you too are pickin on my kobold? How were the races, they sounded great in the papers! Next time we will make it work and I'm buying lunch or dinner!
The most expensive watch ever bought... 74725

Last edited by cali kid on Tue May 25, 2010 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most expensive watch ever bought...   The most expensive watch ever bought... Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 11:29 pm

Nope, not at all, Trev. Poking fun at the others. The most expensive watch ever bought... Icon_wink The most expensive watch ever bought... 779569 (I'm apparently part of the minority thinking not all micro's should sell for $200. The most expensive watch ever bought... Icon_wink I'm starting it all over again, uh? )

Races were great. Turned into just what everyone thought and hoped it wold be, as a six hour enduro. One of our friends race didn't turn out so well, taken out by another.

Hey, no worries. How'd your event go?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most expensive watch ever bought...   The most expensive watch ever bought... Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:21 am

Just long enough to screw Sunday up but I did have my iPhone so I could keep up with the fora! On it now forgot my laptop at work !
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: The most expensive watch ever bought...   The most expensive watch ever bought... Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:26 am

What race? Where? When? Who? How?

Man do I wish I lived near a good track instead of drag strip designed for dumb asses doing quarter miles.

The most expensive watch ever bought... 395667
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most expensive watch ever bought...   The most expensive watch ever bought... Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 1:16 am

PoliMalaka wrote:

Man do I wish I lived near a good track instead of drag strip designed for dumb asses doing quarter miles.

ALMS at Laguna Seca... Highlight show this Saturday, CBS, check your local listings.

Poli, look at the "One for Poli" thread in "Noting to do with a watch" section. A real track seems to be coming to Tek-sheesh
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most expensive watch ever bought...   The most expensive watch ever bought... Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 1:52 am

PoliMalaka wrote:

. . . I dunno Poli . . . I don't go regularily, and the stockers don't do much for me, but Fuel Cars are freakin' awesome!!!! 8000 horsepower and a human strapped inside The most expensive watch ever bought... Affraid pretty damn cool to watch . . .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The most expensive watch ever bought...   The most expensive watch ever bought... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The most expensive watch ever bought...
Page 1 of 1