The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Incoming - these are *not* vintage...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Empty
PostSubject: Incoming - these are *not* vintage...   Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 4:22 pm

...but they are legitimate Shanghai Watch factory pieces, and they're all fun.

I'm posting them as "incoming" because some of these models (and other similar pieces) have very recently become available on Ebay and people who might be interested in buying them should know what they are--and what they aren't.

So: I purchased these for my collection knowing full well they are not rare originals. I still think they're all very fun and I look forward to their arrival--and taking better photos of 'em.

These are all inexpensive Shanghai recreations or homages (or "copies") to earlier Shanghai or other famous vintage watches in China that are quite sought after by collectors. They are modern copies/lookalikes but they are not fakes. They are actually made by the Shanghai Watch Factory and they are usually sold in China clearly marked as tribute or nostalgic/remembrance items.

Although some of the Ebay ads don't make the distinction between homage and real vintage very clear, I think it's also plain that these obviously modern pieces wouldn't fool a Chinese Chinese vintage watch collector for 10 seconds--and weren't intended to.

The first is an homage/tribute to the 1956 prototype Heping (Peace) watch from Shanghai Watch factory (new version):

Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Shanghai_peace

Real thing (from Joel Chan's Micmicmor)

Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Hp

The second is a modern homage to the quite well known Druzhba (Soviet built) USSR-China "Friendship" watch (new version). (Judging by the small characters in the small red circle below the hands-where the second hand goes in a real Druzba--it wouldn't surprise me if this recreation first saw life as a "gift" watch at a Chinese sporting (soccer?) event).

Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Shanghai_druzba

Real thing (from Micmicmor):

Incoming - these are *not* vintage... 2-5

The third is an homage to a watch that Shanghai actually never made at all as far as I've ever seen Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_eek , but they should have because I really like it Incoming - these are *not* vintage... 939297 . This wonderful fantasy-vintage watch has the early type of zuan sign and everything and is clearly made to have a vintage look and feel.

Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Shanghai_indices

(Just for information: I purchased these from a Chinese seller but apart from Ebay--and, unless from Micmicmor, these are all sellers pics).

Last edited by AlbertaTime on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Incoming - these are *not* vintage...   Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 5:50 pm

Very cool Pieces, thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Incoming - these are *not* vintage...   Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Very cool. Thanks for the heads up, the education, and the photos. Always enjoy your posts and learn something new about watches. I really like that some of the Chinese factories are finally selling their own watches, under their own name, internationally.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Incoming - these are *not* vintage...   Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 7:12 pm

. . . as always, very cool stuff!!! More character in a dial than you can shake a second hand at . . .

. . . genuuine or not they are great!!!
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Incoming - these are *not* vintage...   Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:05 pm

NICE!! I should get me one!

Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Incoming - these are *not* vintage...   Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Very cool to see stuff you dont see every day!

Cool WIS lesson!

Thanks Alberta!

PostSubject: Re: Incoming - these are *not* vintage...   Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks all. Incoming - these are *not* vintage... 450851

One nice thing about these fun watches is they all share the 8120 "Shanghai B" movement which is a very reliable, accurate, smooth winding and hacking movement developed by the Shanghai Watch Factory in cooperation with the Diamond/ZuanShi Factory as an improvement over the Chinese "standard" movement.

The Shanghai B is a very straightforward design with a large balance wheel and one that has, since it's initial development in 1982, become a the base for triple-calendar, dual-time, 24-hour, moon-phase and GMT variants as well as simple mechanicals.

Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Diamond_2b_movement
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Incoming - these are *not* vintage...   Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:30 pm

These watches are all extremely elegant, as well as really unique
Ron ! Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_cheers The first one called the Heping looks very similar to the
original you are showing. Those markers, along with dial are a bit
different, but other than that, it has the same feel to it ! It's a
classy style, and neat design !..The second one called the Druzhba,
has a FANTASTIC dial with all of those cool Chinese numbers. That
picture is out of this world also. The original with it's unique case
shape is REALLY something, but the new one still pays a nice tribute
I think ! Incoming - these are *not* vintage... 803574 ..With this last one, have to say the silver, gold, and
black work VERY well together. It's easy on the eyes !!! Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_cyclops Another
nice characteristic is the way in which the numbers seem to change
direction, or position on either half of the dial ! THAT IS COOL ! Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_cool
Always like little things, like the red at the end of the second hand,
and that Shanghai B movement sounds, and looks TERRIFIC too !..It's
easy to see why you like these watches Ron, they are uniquely cool !!!
Thanks for ALL of the info, and pictures sir !!!

PostSubject: Re: Incoming - these are *not* vintage...   Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 4:54 am

AtomicTom wrote:
Another nice characteristic is the way in which the numbers seem to change direction, or position on either half of the dial ! THAT IS COOL ! Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_cool

Thanks for everything you said, Tom. I hadn't paid attention to the numeral switch but it is elegant and smooth, very relaxing on the eyes and still a nice change from vertical numbers. Cool that you noticed. Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_cheers Incoming - these are *not* vintage... 812159
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Incoming - these are *not* vintage...   Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 2:29 pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
AtomicTom wrote:
Another nice characteristic is the way in which the numbers seem to change direction, or position on either half of the dial ! THAT IS COOL ! Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_cool

Thanks for everything you said, Tom. I hadn't paid attention to the numeral switch but it is elegant and smooth, very relaxing on the eyes and still a nice change from vertical numbers. Cool that you noticed. Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_cheers Incoming - these are *not* vintage... 812159

You're welcome Ron ! Incoming - these are *not* vintage... 803574 ..Thank YOU for showing such INCREDIBLY NICE watches sir ! It's great
seeing all of these new watches, learning about them, and seeing how much you like them as well !
..It was fun noticing that numeral switch also ! Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_smile ..Great stuff ! Thanks again !!!

PostSubject: Re: Incoming - these are *not* vintage...   Incoming - these are *not* vintage... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Incoming - these are *not* vintage...
Page 1 of 1