The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Empty
PostSubject: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 10:33 am

So this weekend I went out looking at watches. Went to the store where I bought my Panerai, they also carry Omega, Ball, Rolex, Tag, Swiss Army and other brands. We started talking about collectors and different watch websites. It was funny, these guys, who know their watches, said they stay away from forums because of all the in fighting; not the main point of this thread, but still interesting to hear such a comment from "the outside world..."

I'm not sure HOW, but at some point the conversation got on movies, then some how comic books, the action figures. One of the guys is an AVID Batman fan as well as other comic/action figures. He took me back to his office and it looked like mine, action figures EVERYWHERE. We were GEEKing out over stuff, then I noticed something back in the corner of his office. My son is REALLY into a show called Samurai Jack, has all the seasons on DVD, watches it ALL the time, it is a funny show about a Samurai from the 15th century transported to the future. All that said, what I saw in the corner was a 14inch Samurai Jack figure with swords and EVERYTHING, perfect in the box! These figures are REALLY hard to get; over Christmas we looked on e-bay and the CHEAPEST one we could find was $150.00! I told the guy how much my son was into the show and that he would KILL for that figure. He then asks, "do you want to buy it?" I grinned and said "sure, but probably not for what you want for it." The guy then says, "I got two when they first came out, I got another one at home too. How does $25 sound?"

I didn't even try to put on a "poker face." "Are you SURE? Do you know what these are going for on e-bay?" He said he didn't care, that it would make him feel good for it to go to my son! I didn't leave with a watch but had a great time talking to the guys and left with Samurai Jack!

As I drove I was thinking how much alike comic book and watch collectors are:

1. We tend to be a bit geeky about it...
2. We are very loyal to our brands, favorite characters, etc...
3. We tend to join forums to discuss our hobbies...
4. We take immaculate care of our collection...
5. There are GRAILS in both hobbies...

As I continued driving, I thought how cool it would be to have a store that sold watches and comic books. "Time for Comics," "Hero Time," something like that...

Anyway, it was a fun morning...

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 3:22 pm

Alan, is that a GREAT story or what ?! Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_biggrin ..You got to get
that Samurai Jack figure you guys have wanted for a long
time, AND also talked with someone who evidently has MANY
similar interests at the same time !..Talk about COOL ! Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_cool Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." 803574

I think you are REALLY making a good point with how watches,
comic books, and other collectors are so similar. Every one of
those five characteristics are right on. The hobbies, along with
the people who enjoy them are genuinely VERY cool. What's
also interesting is how even though it doesn't seem to be
in the mainstream to be a collector. There sure seem to be
a bunch of people who enjoy these hobbies. I wonder how
many people there actually are who start in one hobby, and
then also cross over into other hobbies too !..It's extremely
interesting !!! Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Alien

By the way, those watch and comic book stores sound like
RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME ideas if you ask me ! Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_cheers

Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." 25866 Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." 10534

Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 5:27 pm

My best friend in Vancouver is a collector of multiple things...old naval binoculars, matchbox toys, vintage cameras, trains, etc.....who knows what else he has stacked up in his bedroom! hahaha!
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm

Great story! Can we get a pic of Jack?
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 5:49 pm

Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Jtjack19

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 5:50 pm

andrema wrote:

That's the one!

Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 pm

andrema wrote:
Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." 9inchsamuraiwarriorjack9" Samurai Jack (Samurai Warrior)

He stands alone against evil, a stranger in a strange, oppressed world of the future where every day is a new battle against the evil Aku. This valiant samurai warrior from the past known as Jack, lives by the ancient code of honor, fearing no danger as he battles with his magic sword and martial arts to defeat Aku and free his family.
Includes 2

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 pm

Samurai Jack was a very cool show, great art work, almost cinematic in its storyboarding. There was supposed to be a movie but I'm not sure what happened with it. Like Poli says lets see a pic of Jack! Speaking of geeky trivia, what other show does Genndy Tartakovsky the creator do now?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 7:15 pm

Well, Alan, it appears you'd have three customers... it's a start.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 7:29 pm

Up, up, and away!

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 7:32 pm

Anomaly wrote:
Up, up, and away!

You have the store front yet?
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 7:35 pm

Looking for financial backers...

...I accept PayPal!

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 3:26 am

I help out part time at the comic book store where I get mine if that is any indication Very Happy . Comic-con is coming to Chicago in a few weeks and we are taking Lorna down for the first time, should be fun.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 8:39 am

brian D wrote:
I help out part time at the comic book store where I get mine if that is any indication Very Happy . Comic-con is coming to Chicago in a few weeks and we are taking Lorna down for the first time, should be fun.

Very cool, that should be a BLAST!

Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 11:25 am

cski wrote:
Samurai Jack was a very cool show, great art work, almost cinematic in its storyboarding.
Yep. Although I didn't see the entire series, I enjoyed the episodes I did see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."   Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..." Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Watches, comic books, and other "collectors..."
Page 1 of 1