The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Carbon fiber mania

Go down 
+4
SynMike
PoliMalaka
merichar
Anomaly
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:56 am

Did I miss something in the financial news lately? Why so much noise about carbon fiber pieces on watches as if it's gold or platinum? I mean, aren't they just appliques? The case and bracelet aren't molded from the stuff, it's not like it's a Formula 1 racer or a Stealth fighter for cryin' out loud. We're talking stick-ons here!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:57 am

Show us some stuff man!

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:58 am

carbon fiber was sooo 2007!!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:00 am

cali kid wrote:
carbon fiber was sooo 2007!!

"I'm so 2000 and great, you're so 2000 and late..."

Carbon fiber mania Fergie-picture-1

Senior Associate
merichar

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:43 am

cski wrote:
Did I miss something in the financial news lately? Why so much noise about carbon fiber pieces on watches as if it's gold or platinum? I mean, aren't they just appliques? The case and bracelet aren't molded from the stuff, it's not like it's a Formula 1 racer or a Stealth fighter for cryin' out loud. We're talking stick-ons here!

I have no idea what noise you are referring to. Actually, there is a watch case made from carbon fiber. They are not just appliques, but a thin layer of woven material and resin. Done tastefully, it looks very nice IMO. Is there really that little to talk about that we are impugning one of countless dial material choices?

http://www.giulianomazzuoli.com/manometro-sport.html
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:26 am

merichar wrote:
Is there really that little to talk about that we are impugning one of countless dial material choices?

Yeah! Isn't there a TV host or two that can be pissed on? Carbon fiber mania Icon_lol
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:42 am

merichar wrote:
cski wrote:

I have no idea what noise you are referring to. Actually, there is a watch case made from carbon fiber. They are not just appliques, but a thin layer of woven material and resin. Done tastefully, it looks very nice IMO. Is there really that little to talk about that we are impugning one of countless dial material choices?

Just noise from the on air personalities; I was watching Shop last night and JS and DM were raving about the carbon fiber and how much was used on the model the were showing. Am I wrong or isn't it just carbon fiber stickers that are used?
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:44 am

Carbon fiber mania Worthless
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:50 am

Docrwm wrote:
Carbon fiber mania Worthless

It was this here one:

Carbon fiber mania Moz-screenshotCarbon fiber mania Cfbeast
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:52 am

merichar wrote:
cski wrote:

HUGE difference between your example and what was on last night. But I will try to find something more worthy of discussion in the future.
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 12:47 pm

The carbon fiber hype on TV is just designed to push the watch of the moment.
It has been very popular with many, many brands four about six years and is not any great shakes these days. Generally, the carbon fiber in watches is dyed. The actual color is black/gray as I recall.

Carbon fiber mania IMG_0394

This photo is about six years old. The Invicta on left has a carbon fiber dial which is really neat and has a 3-D effect. It's any interesting material.

Carbon fiber mania IMG_0394
Carbon fiber mania IMG_0391
Carbon fiber mania IMG_0380
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:06 pm

Carbon Fiber ain't dead...

...it just ain't the newest thing on the block.

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:11 pm

Anomaly wrote:
Carbon Fiber ain't dead...

...it just ain't the newest thing on the block.

They were hawking that Wildebeast like it was. Not to belabor the point, but isn't still all just stuck on sheets, not like the true CF case like the post by Merichar.
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:35 pm

Someone post that Croton watch that has like a mile of carbon fiber thread in it. Can't remember the name but it's their flagship watch. The one that the Merm squirts on when he's presenting.
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:40 pm

WatchNoob wrote:
Someone post that Croton watch that has like a mile of carbon fiber thread in it. Can't remember the name but it's their flagship watch. The one that the Merm squirts on when he's presenting.

. . . Super C.

Carbon fiber mania J176824_01_swatch?DefaultImage=1&$350x350_jpg$
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:42 pm

yea that's the one Randy, thanks for posting. I like the idea on this one, but I'm not thrilled with the design.
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:45 pm

. . . George Fox does a nice job with C/F on the AutoPilot. . . .

Carbon fiber mania DSCN1384

Carbon fiber mania DSCN1399_edited
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:46 pm

I agree that Carbon Fiber is late. 2007 all the way. Thats when they were really pushing the junk.
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:49 pm

CF can easily be over done as witnessed on several models. I'm partial to MOP labels myself. Easy on application, low profile, can be cleaned easily with windex.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:07 pm

Carbon fiber mania R1

Good CF...

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:30 pm

Had a couple watches with CF dials. Thought I'd like em....NOPE.
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Ya'll need to stop being such penises.
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:41 pm

PoliMalaka wrote:
Ya'll need to stop being such penises.

Quit PRICKIN on everyone Poli!
Back to top Go down
SynMike
Senior Associate
SynMike

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:33 pm

Like Duff, I had a couple of carbon fibre dials but ended up not liking them so much.
The 3D effect was really cool. But it made any markers on really look like stickers.

I still have this one. I think I lke it because the 3D effect is more subtle:

Carbon fiber mania IMG_1177

Last edited by SynMike on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 5:01 pm

I've got a few CF peices. These are 3 of my favorites

Carbon fiber mania OntheWrist001-1
Carbon fiber mania OntheWrist002-2
Carbon fiber mania OntheWrist015
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 5:05 pm

All are cool but that Chase ROCKS!

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 5:11 pm

CF dials are ok; I have an NFW AP, a Prowler. All the stick on stuff on the bracelet links and bezel is kinda lame IMHO. Sort of like a vinyl roof or wire hubcaps on a car.
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 5:27 pm

cski wrote:
CF dials are ok; I have an NFW AP, a Prowler. All the stick on stuff on the bracelet links and bezel is kinda lame IMHO. Sort of like a vinyl roof or wire hubcaps on a car.
Carbon fiber mania Lol

Ain't dat fah real, yo! I love me some spoiler on a Geo...

Carbon fiber mania 23149830028_large
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 7:41 pm

cski wrote:
merichar wrote:
cski wrote:

HUGE difference between your example and what was on last night. But I will try to find something more worthy of discussion in the future.

You should have added that little watch TV tidbit-sorry I probably sounded snotty. Maybe I should watch the TV shows- sometimes its all anyone wants to talk about. I would'nt doubt that some of the TV brands use applique, (remember the wrinkled MOP, or the damascus stickers?) I have definitely seen watches that use genuine carbon fiber, it can be easily identified by its depth. Back in the day even Renato did some nice carbon fiber. It seems like their motto these days is to overdo every design element.

Carbon fiber mania 100_0424

Last edited by merichar on Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 7:47 pm

Carbon fiber mania Hamiltonpart2001
Carbon fiber mania Hamilton-1

Last edited by porschefan on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:21 pm

merichar wrote:
cski wrote:
merichar wrote:
cski wrote:

You should have added that little watch TV tidbit-sorry I probably sounded snotty. Maybe I should watch the TV shows- sometimes its all anyone wants to talk about. I would'nt doubt that some of the TV brands use applique, (remember the wrinkled MOP, or the damascus stickers?) I have definitely seen watches that use genuine carbon fiber, it can be easily identified by its depth. Back in the day even Renato did some nice carbon fiber. It seems like their motto these days is to overdo every design element.

Carbon fiber mania 100_0424

Not snotty bro! Your example is exacly what I'm talking about tho...the real vs the faux. There were so many comments about how much CF was used, they made it seem as if it was MADE of the stuff, not just slapped with stickers.
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:37 pm

Carbon fiber provides something to look at, but does make the dial a little more messy . . .

I always wanted a Tudor with a CF dial, but I do have some TV brands (no lectures please):

Carbon fiber mania Dscn0671hdt
Carbon fiber mania Dscn0706
Carbon fiber mania Dscn1087
Carbon fiber mania Dscn1082
Carbon fiber mania Dscn1148
Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:40 pm

I have a CF and it is the Minkster's brand:

Carbon fiber mania Trex02is8

edit: wow that was worthless can't even see the CF, sorry
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 10:06 pm

i like some c.f. dials, heres a couple. Carbon fiber mania P1301168sv2 Carbon fiber mania P7052641p11
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 4:27 pm

Evidently it's the aerospace, racing theme that makes the carbon fiber
theme appealing to some. It's also supposed to be a strong substance.
Other than that, I guess it's about looks. When carbon fiber is done right
it looks cool on a dial IMHO. However, when it's done wrong Carbon fiber mania Icon_eek ..it can
be a little dissappointing !

Carbon fiber mania Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber mania   Carbon fiber mania Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber mania
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next