The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Carbon fiber

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Carbon fiber Empty
PostSubject: Carbon fiber   Carbon fiber Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:08 am

Over the years,I've had alot of things made from Carbon fiber.Its an amazing cloth.It can be combined with titanium,Kevlar and most
anything else.Its attraction to the racing community is its strength and how light it is.From clipons to gas tanks.
I have a number of rolls of kevlar and carbon fiber cloth.Mainly for applications here at home.I use it to make boxes
and parts for my cars and bikes that don't require a kiln to give it super strength.You know,it takes 6 months to make just one
rotor for a bike or car.But for home applications,you can use marine grade epoxy and layer it.When it dries,its pretty tough.
Thats whats used for most cosmetic caps for cars like instrument clusters.On my Yamaha,I had clipons made from it.
The carbon fiber survived numerous crashes,but the last one,it shattered.
Carbon fiber Rash114
Carbon fiber Rash113
Carbon fiber Rash112

For the Ducati,I had these done.
Carbon fiber Ducati1
Carbon fiber 23y

For racing,its all about weight/unsprung weight.The lighter the bike,the quicker it goes.
So when a bike arrives here from the factory that weighs in at 435lbs,it needs to go on a diet.
All plastic gets replaced with carbon fiber.Brake components,wheels, steering controls,exhaust systems all get changed.
My Yamaha weighs 365lbs now.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Carbon fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber   Carbon fiber Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:26 am

My brother in law just had a new carbon fiber roof added onto his '09 vette. Looks pretty cool as the car is painted dark gray.

Carbon fiber 112_0802_07z+2009_chevrolet_corvette_ZR1+roof_panel_carbon_fiber

Carbon fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber   Carbon fiber Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 11:10 am

I saw a vette at a recent car show that I covered that had that carbon fiber part.It looks great,but its pretty expensive.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Carbon fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber   Carbon fiber Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 11:31 am

yamahaki wrote:
I saw a vette at a recent car show that I covered that had that carbon fiber part.It looks great,but its pretty expensive.

He's 36 and single...LOL!

Carbon fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber   Carbon fiber Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 11:55 am

It's cool how you can configure it to be almost anything and the strength is pretty good too.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Carbon fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber   Carbon fiber Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:25 pm

Really interesting info Sean !..Tough, light, and sporty ! Carbon fiber Icon_smile
It's easy to see why people who like watches, and motorsports,
like carbon fiber ! Thx !!!..Fantastic pictures too guys !

Carbon fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon fiber   Carbon fiber Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Carbon fiber
Page 1 of 1