The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

favorite watch movement.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

favorite watch movement. Empty
PostSubject: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 11:33 pm

I like all watch movements whether it's Swiss, China, Japan or Russian, something about an auto that is so appealing to me. I sometimes search for watches with a specific movement, rarely buying based only on the movement but like diversity in my watches.
Two of my favorite are the ETA 2892/ 2893 and Unitas 6497/ 6498.

got a few favorites or show a few pics of your current watch movements?

favorite watch movement. 3590607287_0e5b505bbf

favorite watch movement. DSC04538

heres a cool looking 2894

favorite watch movement. PorscheSpecialRotor01
favorite watch movement. PorscheSpecialRotor02
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 11:52 pm

I like the Unitas series too. I've been looking to add the 2892 and 2894 to my collection. I'm a sucker for just about any nicely finished auto/mechanical though.

favorite watch movement. 100_1189

Some Swissese ISA variant-I think.

favorite watch movement. DSCF2016

This thread has made me realize I don't have very many watches with an exhibition caseback.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 12:05 am

zenith
favorite watch movement. DSC01718
martin braun
favorite watch movement. DSC00984
favorite watch movement. DSC06169
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 12:17 am

always dig anything mechanical. my MLis really nice highly modied 7750
favorite watch movement. 100_2076

favorite watch movement. 100_1142

also thought this epos was done real well and wished i would have kept it

favorite watch movement. 100_2077

favorite watch movement. 100_1188

omega

favorite watch movement. 100_1049

gotta love the hand crankers and most are gone.

favorite watch movement. 100_0328

favorite watch movement. 100_0935

This was a sweet one too!

favorite watch movement. 100_0411
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 am

Don't own this, but I have seen the Carl F. Bucherer EvoTec, with the rotor running in a race, around the outside of the movement. Very impressive in real life looking at it through a loupe.

favorite watch movement. Cfb-a1000
favorite watch movement. MovementCFBA1000-thumb-450x450-2705

Lange & Sohne is aweful cool, too
favorite watch movement. TourbographMovement1blog
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 12:35 am

My favorite is the 19-jewel Hamilton 982M "Medallion" movement, made in the late 1930s to early 1950s. I've owned several (my photo below) and after 60+ years they still purr like brand new.

favorite watch movement. H7
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 12:38 am

Cool movements, that evotek is sweet man! I've always like the rotors having cutouts either for design or the emblem/name of the company. Love the ML RF Trevor. Nice macro shots to guys!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 12:40 am

pacifichrono wrote:
My favorite is the 19-jewel Hamilton 982M "Medallion" movement, made in the late 1930s to early 1950s. I've owned several (my photo below) and after 60+ years they still purr like brand new.

Wow, that is nice! Made well it will last.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 12:47 am

pacifichrono wrote:

very cool tom!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 1:08 am

Love the 2893 (and most others BB Ron like, LOL) also a big fan of the never say die 8215!!

CJ
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 1:23 am

favorite watch movement. C
favorite watch movement. Deb019

Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:12 am

Sea-Gull ST16 movement...

favorite watch movement. Casebackcloseup-1
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:57 am

I have mostly quartz watches and my Oceanaire (CL-888) doesn't
have an exhibition case back. However, I like everything about
the automatics you guys have shown ! favorite watch movement. Icon_cheers From the Unitas 6497
and 6498 to anything else from ETA, Sellita, the various in house
movements from companies and countries around the world as
well. favorite watch movement. 803574

This isn't my photo ! However here is what it might look like...

favorite watch movement. Zodiaccl888

From Relojes-especiales.com

Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 4:08 am

Tom, here is a link about the CL-888 movement, torn down and compared to the Chinese Seagull movement. Very interesting reading..

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=2304786
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 4:21 am

[quote="thianwong"]Tom, here is a link about the CL-888 movement, torn down and compared to the Chinese Seagull movement. Very interesting reading..

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=2304786[/quote]

Thanks Thian ! favorite watch movement. Icon_smile I have heard bits and pieces about this. So basically the movements
are identical, but some Swiss parts have been added ?! Or it has been cased up within
Switzerland ?!

Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 4:41 am

Tom, I would have to re-read the article again, but in effect, Claro-Semag took the Chinese ST16 movement, made a few changes according to Swiss law which details what is considered Swiss Made, and declared the CL-888 movement Swiss made. Sheer economics is dictating that more and more Swiss companies are buying Seagull movements, making the minor changes and selling their watches as Made in Switzerland.

Here is more detailed history from the Chinese watch Wiki..

http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wiki/index.php?title=Claro-Semag
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 5:34 am

merichar wrote:
Some Swissese ISA variant-I think.

favorite watch movement. DSCF2016

That movement looks a lot like this one (great photo borrowed from Zippofan, and found through a Google search):

favorite watch movement. Seagullback
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:37 pm

thianwong wrote:
Tom, I would have to re-read the article again, but in effect, Claro-Semag took the Chinese ST16 movement, made a few changes according to Swiss law which details what is considered Swiss Made, and declared the CL-888 movement Swiss made. Sheer economics is dictating that more and more Swiss companies are buying Seagull movements, making the minor changes and selling their watches as Made in Switzerland.

Here is more detailed history from the Chinese watch Wiki..

[url=http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wiki/index.php?title=Claro-Semag
http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wiki/index.php?title=Claro-Semag[/quote[/url]]

Fantastic information !!!! It IS VERY interesting and now I'm understanding the details a little better
now. In any case, it's a nice movement IMHO ! favorite watch movement. Icon_smile Thanks again Thian, for linking me to all of this !

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:46 pm

I have a new love affair with hand wound movements, in particular my Unitas. I love the daily interaction with it and its so accurate its ridiculous. It's running at -1/4 second per day.

favorite watch movement. IMG_1197
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 6:23 pm

Tom, nothing wrong with the CL-888 movement. The point of contention is its origin and giving due appreciation that it is of Chinese make.
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 6:29 pm

SopheNic wrote:
I have a new love affair with hand wound movements, in particular my Unitas. I love the daily interaction with it and its so accurate its ridiculous. It's running at -1/4 second per day.

favorite watch movement. IMG_1197

here is my first handwinder, a Chinese re-issued pilot chrono with ST19 movement, 2008.

favorite watch movement. 1963montageChinaJetfighter
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 6:34 pm

Looks nice. I'd love to pick up a hand wound chrono someday.
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 6:44 pm

Here is the ST1901 variant of that mil chrono also made in 2008....handwinder.....

favorite watch movement. MontageST1901variantseagullLighteni
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 7:53 pm

thianwong wrote:
Tom, nothing wrong with the CL-888 movement. The point of contention is its origin and giving due appreciation that it is of Chinese make.

Agreed Thian ! Very well said ! favorite watch movement. Icon_smile Honesty would be the best policy I guess !

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:29 pm

Beautiful shots guy!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:42 pm

My favorite movement is this 9 jewel Zhongshan... it ain't pretty, it just runs that way...

still running like a top 50 years after it was built...roughly within a second or two a day on the wrist.

favorite watch movement. Zhong_shan__2_movement

It's inside this:

favorite watch movement. Zhongshan_dial1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:04 am

thianwong wrote:
Sea-Gull ST16 movement...

favorite watch movement. Casebackcloseup-1

That's a cool one! I would add the ST25.

favorite watch movement. C133cb1ab4ef4b698c90c397d1ffb494

favorite watch movement. 5d48b2637ca74d9d8305f3105433e6b0

Zenith Elite:

favorite watch movement. E8a2d05eb54842028bcb876703a782f5

And the Seiko 8L35. (not my pic)

favorite watch movement. 8l35-2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: favorite watch movement.   favorite watch movement. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

favorite watch movement.
Page 1 of 1