The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

No Such Luck...............

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

No Such Luck............... Empty
PostSubject: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:03 pm

getting the cyclops off of my Oris Frank Sinatra. Sad

I tried my soldering iron, butane lighter, and hair dryer.....NADA! I worked at it for over an hour and a half and NADA!

I even tried tapping it off but I was real careful not to hit too hard.....Sapphire may be scratch resistant but it sure can crumble if hit just right and I didn't want that to happen so I probably held back some on my tapping.

I guess I could contact Oris in the service department and ask If they could replace the cyclops crystal with one with out the cyclops. I really was hoping that little piece would just pop right off...........There must be some heavy duty glue holding it down!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Northwestguy wrote:
getting the cyclops off of my Oris Frank Sinatra. Sad

I tried my soldering iron, butane lighter, and hair dryer.....NADA! I worked at it for over an hour and a half and NADA!

I even tried tapping it off but I was real careful not to hit too hard.....Sapphire may be scratch resistant but it sure can crumble if hit just right and I didn't want that to happen so I probably held back some on my tapping.

I guess I could contact Oris in the service department and ask If they could replace the cyclops crystal with one with out the cyclops. I really was hoping that little piece would just pop right off...........There must be some heavy duty glue holding it down!

DAYUM John! I've never read any posts saying they couldn't get that little sucker off. But I will say you are playing it smart. That's all you need to do is have that crystal shatter! You don't want it looking like this guys Rolex! No Such Luck............... Affraid

No Such Luck............... Shatte10
No Such Luck............... Moz-screenshot-8No Such Luck............... Moz-screenshot-9
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:16 pm

I'm with Duff....better safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Yeah...I'm with you Duff and Duker. I just sent off an email to Oris asking them about a crystal with out a cyclops. I need to have the watch serviced and cleaned up a bit as well. I'll wait to hear from them and let you guys know what happens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:34 pm

Northwestguy wrote:
Yeah...I'm with you Duff and Duker. I just sent off an email to Oris asking them about a crystal with out a cyclops. I need to have the watch serviced and cleaned up a bit as well. I'll wait to hear from them and let you guys know what happens.

That's usin the old noodle John. That Frankie is too damn nice to mess up. I've always wanted that one!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:35 pm

Sorry you couldn't get that cyclops off John !
You are right though, Oris must use some INVINCIBLE
glue ! No Such Luck............... Icon_eek I agree with you, and the guys, maybe just
leave it for now, and see if Oris can put a different
crystal on for you ! Good try though ! No Such Luck............... Icon_smile

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:38 pm

Sorry to hear that, glad you were cautious.
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:41 pm

John, I've heard people say that acetone can be used to soften up the glue holding the cyclops on. Have not tried it myself though and would be hesitant to try it if there is any type of AR coating on the sapphire.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:46 pm

Not something I think I would try...YIKES!

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:47 pm

Don't do acetone if you have an AR coating - unless you want to get rid of it too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Docrwm wrote:
Don't do acetone if you have an AR coating - unless you want to get rid of it too.

Don't they coat the crystal after applying the cyclops? If there's AR coating on the outside of the crystal won't you see where the cyclops was if it's taken off?
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 9:39 pm

Docrwm wrote:

bodypeersur1 wrote:
Docrwm wrote:

Don't they coat the crystal after applying the cyclops? If there's AR coating on the outside of the crystal won't you see where the cyclops was if it's taken off?

On this particular watch, the AR coating is on the inside.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 2:41 am

get a bigger hammer and chisel! At worst Oris is putting a new crystal on and at best you did it!! go for it! I've used aceton to get the remaining glue off a crystal, it might get in under there and loosen things up!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Ask oris if this crystal was made with the cyclops as one piece.some companies do that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 1:36 pm

yamahaki wrote:
Ask oris if this crystal was made with the cyclops as one piece.some companies do that.

Yep. I was just thinking the same. I had a Tissot like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 1:37 pm

yamahaki wrote:

Yep, i banged the shit out of a croton trying to get the cyclops off, just busted it up and and made the crystal turn in the case!!! busted cyclops now resides at the 6 o'clock position!!! No Such Luck............... 744742 it's a croton!! No Such Luck............... 933578
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:35 pm

cali kid wrote:
yamahaki wrote:

Yep, i banged the shit out of a croton trying to get the cyclops off, just busted it up and and made the crystal turn in the case!!! busted cyclops now resides at the 6 o'clock position!!! No Such Luck............... 744742 it's a croton!! No Such Luck............... 933578

LOL.....Now that's funny!! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Such Luck...............   No Such Luck............... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No Such Luck...............
Page 1 of 1