The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?

Go down 
+3
Anomaly
thianwong
PoliMalaka
7 posters
AuthorMessage
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Empty
PostSubject: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 8:04 am

So I'm reading the thread about kwortz versus mechanical watches and again had this thought.

With a service of an automatic watch costing a "couple hundred" dollars, isn't safe to say that buying one around $100 just like buying a disposable watch?

Think about it. It breaks you can buy two new ones! So... It is stated ALL the time. "OMG, $100 automatic. Such a great deal!!"

But is it really?

Now. Would you repair a $100 kwortz watch or replace it? Hum...
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 8:15 am

I guess it depends what make and what model your $100 mechanical is....A Seiko used for around $100? Some guys think that way...whether to buy a used mechanical seiko 7S26 for around $80 or so...or just buy a Timex quartz Ironman etc....
If you are a Seiko guy, for instance, you buy it for the reliability, quality, and look. But many times, money is not the only bottom line for buying into a particular watch. Currently most mechanicals -new- are getting quite expensive IMO and I can't afford the upfront cost, so I hunt for used models here in Japan...most being of vintage age, like my Orient Star, Seiko LordMatic SPECIAL etc. Both found for $80usd!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 10:01 am

I'm wondering how many people who buy automatic watches these days have trouble with them regardless of the cost?

Sure, we hear about the issue watches, but how many millions are bought and work just fine? I bet FOSSIL sells as many or more automatics than anyone...

I do believe a $100 goes further on a "used" quality mechanical/automatic movement than it would on a NEW one...

MOST people would probably say if you spend over $100 on ANY watch you are throwing your money away... Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_bounce

We watch collectors are a STRANGE lot indeed... Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? 252943

PostSubject: Re: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 10:18 am

35 years and no service for my 7000 series Seiko - oh, and it cost well under $100.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 10:23 am

failures are rare for mechanicals on higher end watches. usually the movements are modified.Also, they design the watch for the movement.low end watches are designed for looks and any number of movements can be shoved in them. Form follows function with higher end watches.

omega and breitling only use the ebauche.everything else is trashed.These movements are reworked before getting installed in a watch.Failure rates are
higher for less expensive watches where the stock movement is installed without testing it 1st.I don't think its a waste buying a sub 100.00 watch.
take the invicta 8926 that uses the miyota 8215.It might need a service in 5 years.Cost? about 100.00.that includes the movement and all new seals.
its good for another 5 to 10 years.or you can just replace the movement for 25.00 and service the original in your spare time.
Considering that you got 5 or more years of use out of the watch,you really aren't out much money. While the percentage seems off,its really not.

You'll spend 2k for a watch with esentually the same movement and case components.while it appears you have a better deal,and yes you really do,they both work and function about the same.Both cost about the same to service.At least with the 100.00 watch,during its life its never going to cost 2k to maintain it.
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:42 am

No movement problems here. Yet. Knock on wood.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 12:37 pm

Anomaly wrote:

We watch collectors are a STRANGE lot indeed... Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? 252943

Yup! I cant explain why I need all the watches I do, I just need em Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Lol I bought a 150 dollar Citizen automatic a little while ago and Im all giddy about it Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? 74725 I thought it was a good deal Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 3:35 pm

. . . if I only owned one watch, I would be concerned with reliability and accuracy. But owning several I rotate, reducing the frequency of wear and concern. As for the under a hundred aspect . . . I get what I pay for, same as anything else I buy.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 4:02 pm

PoliMalaka wrote:
So I'm reading the thread about kwortz versus mechanical watches and again had this thought.

With a service of an automatic watch costing a "couple hundred" dollars, isn't safe to say that buying one around $100 just like buying a disposable watch?

Think about it. It breaks you can buy two new ones! So... It is stated ALL the time. "OMG, $100 automatic. Such a great deal!!"

But is it really?

I'm kind of at a disadvantage since I don't have many automatic watches yet ! Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_eek
It's a good point you are making Poli. I'm not sure how much a $100 watch would cost
to repair in comparison to the more expensive watches. Still I guess it depends how much
a person likes their watch. For myself, I would probably pay to have the watch repaired
mainly because I like the watches alot ! Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_smile Even the quartz ones ! Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Alien Hopefully they will
keep on working though !

sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 4:32 pm

If it's new production...I would gut it for parts (or buy a new movement cheaper than a repair)....if it's something old you don't see very often I would save it and have it serviced.

Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 6:46 pm

wagon wrote:
. . . if I only owned one watch, I would be concerned with reliability and accuracy. But owning several I rotate, reducing the frequency of wear and concern. As for the under a hundred aspect . . . I get what I pay for, same as anything else I buy.

Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? 196544
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 7:37 pm

Buying a few $100 autos myself helped me realize what to look for (and not) in a more hi-end watch.

What is this "servicing" act you speak of? Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_eek
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 7:51 pm

i look at case style and size, dont mind paying 100 bones on something i'm just going to mod anyway! On any watch under 1 grand ( not the bigger boys) if a movement was acting up i'm at the point where i can just buy another movement and swap it out! Wouldnt think of this with my higher end pieces but its pretty darn easy to change a movement and i recommend all you guys to start out with a seiko or miyota and work your way up to a 2824! Learn how a seiko dail fastens to the movement and do the same with Miyota and ETA, they all do it a little different! It makes collecting alot more fun and can bring new life into pieces you thought you were over and done with!
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 8:35 pm

PoliMalaka wrote:

But is it really?

A $100.00 watch is a replacement for me these days. A repair COULD be the same or more in todays world. I might reconsider if the watch was vintage and cost me $100.00 25 years ago.....that would be a different scenario!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?   Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Isn't buying a $100 automatic just wasting your money?
Page 1 of 1