The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Latest project

Go down 
+4
sixtysix
barnbuilder
Anomaly
TexasTee
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Latest project Empty
PostSubject: Latest project   Latest project Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 12:17 pm

This one has been a long time coming...with dial mishaps, changes in plans an a broken stem it has been a long arduous journey getting this one of the work table! The inspiration comes from a watch done by Jason over at homageforum.com a while ago. It really caught my eye and knew I had to give it a shot myself. I originally wanted to do a PAM 2533 dial; picked one up but it was too big for the case I was using. Trimming the diameter would cut into the bars so that was out. So I decide to make my own. Made a template copied from the dial, shrunk it and used it to mark the sheet steel to cut the dial. All went well until I tried to cut the slots. Just couldn't get it to work with my Dremel; blew through a lot of sheets of metal trying! So I decide to go a different route and used larger circles at the 12,3,6 and 9 with metal circles in the middle creating smaller rings to compliment the outer...hence Rings of fire! I also tried various paint ideas, none really worked for me. After one failed attempt while cleaning and sanding the dial I thought....hmmm the bare metal looks kinda cool, if I pattern it somehow.. So I tried to make a sort of sun-ray finish to the bare metal.

The case is a standard PAM Lum type case that had a high polish to it. Didn't like that at all. So I got a DIY sandblasting kit fro the local craft store and knocked the polish out.

The movement is a basic Asian 6498 with the seconds hand min filed down, nothing special.

Last but certainly not least is the strap from Blue Radish...the perfect compliment to the watch I think!

So...here's the pics...please be honest. The lume is not the best job and I see one tiny piece of dust on the dial that I need to open it up to get to but overall I'm pleased with how it came out:

Latest project Rof2
Latest project Rof3
Latest project Rof4
Latest project Rof1
Latest project Rof6
Latest project Rof7
Latest project Rof8

Thanks for looking!
Back to top Go down
TexasTee
Junior Associate
TexasTee

Latest project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest project   Latest project Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 12:21 pm

Great job Chris! That's one cool and unique piece!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Latest project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest project   Latest project Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 12:58 pm

OMGosh that is AWESOME!

I would wear that in a heartbeat!

Senior Associate
barnbuilder

Latest project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest project   Latest project Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Wow! Very cool project Chris and unique too.
great dial being all metal and the blue lume around the outside
this strap is perfect for the case and dial
excellent watch Chris!
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

Latest project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest project   Latest project Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 1:14 pm

That is nice!! The lume is cool looking...projects are fun (most times) congrats on this one!

Latest project Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Latest project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest project   Latest project Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 2:54 pm

To be honest Chris, this is EPIC ! Very Happy Latest project 803574 Latest project 46145 It literally looks like something that is not
of this Earth, and also something EXTREMELY classy, and elegant. Something that you
might expect to cost many thousands of dollars from one of the cool independent watch
companies out there. It's EXTRAORDINARY ! Can't imagine a watch being ANY cooler sir,
and the way you thought of everything is just unbelievable. The style of case, the way
you sand blasted it, the out of this world DIAL, and the way you made it have that sun
ray effect, not to mention outstanding circles, patterns, and lume !!! Even your choice
of strap helps take this watch to yet another level. Congratulations on knowing how to
do things like this Chris, and congratulations on having yet another unbelievably cool,
and unique creation of your own sir. GREAT job !!! Smile ..One of the MANY things that is
so outstanding about your creation here Chris is the fact that you made it. I mean when
you stop, and think about it, there are countless watch brands that are out there, but
you were the one to do this. Alot of times we might have ideas in our heads that we
WISH watch companies might create some day. However, you were actually able to
have one of those ideas, and then actually create it. That has to be very very fullfilling,
as well as fun. Honestly the dial alone is so ingenius, along with different. That it is hard
to imagine it coming together any better. The adventures that you had putting all of
it together sound like they were genuinely worth it. That whole theme of the circles
is INCREDIBLE ! The way you have that pattern is so eye-catching, as well as professional.
Really enjoying how you have circles within circles with the 12, 3, 6, and 9 positions,
as well as how those are larger than the other positions. The other positions are also
EPIC though, because they line up in such a cool way, and also allow you to see yet
another level behind the top layer of the dial. It's just THE BEST imho. ..Can't say
enough about how you actually made the dial have a sun ray effect either. WOW !
Not only is it ingenious, but it has such a pure look to it, that you can really appreciate
the textures of the metal too. Add to that the farthest outer edge of the dial, and
how it leaves that little touch of space at the edge, and you have yet another part
of this watch that is EPIC. ..Even the case follows along with the theme of your dial
with it's sandblasted finish. If it wasn't impressive enough figuring all of how to do
that yourself, then the finished result definitely was. The way all of the shapes of the
case seem to come alive because of it is amazing. Each turn, each angle, shadow,
and piece shows up more, and helps the watch flow even more. That flow is something
that again you might expect to see from a watch company that has been making
watches for generations, but you were ALSO able to to it, and it's just extraordinary.
..There is just SO much to appreciate, and enjoy here Chris. ..If the uniquely cool,
and classy feel wasn't enough. That LUME, as well as the theme of it sends everything
into the stratosphere sir. Latest project 46145 The circle theme comes full circle, AND lets face it,
it just looks plain COOL ! Yowza !!! Could honestly go on, and on about your creation
here Chris. The dial, the case, lume, and even the uniquely cool strap from Blue Raddish,
along with classic movement are all extraordianary, but the fact that you made this
watch is EPIC ! Congrats once again, and I really hope you enjoy your new creation !

Extraordianary, along with Epic creation, and pictures !

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

Latest project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest project   Latest project Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 5:42 pm

Awesome Chris! Love the dial and the lume! Very cool that you came up with this look. How well did you like the bead blasting kit?
Back to top Go down

Latest project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest project   Latest project Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 9:02 pm

Northwestguy wrote:
Awesome Chris! Love the dial and the lume! Very cool that you came up with this look. How well did you like the bead blasting kit?

Worked pretty well actually. I went light on the finish, I'm sure with more spraying I could give it a more textured finish. I sprayed it outside so I lost any media I sprayed. Next time I'm gonna spray it in a large clear bag in lieu of a spray box.
Back to top Go down

Latest project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest project   Latest project Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 9:05 pm

barnbuilder wrote:
Wow! Very cool project Chris and unique too.
great dial being all metal and the blue lume around the outside
this strap is perfect for the case and dial
excellent watch Chris!

Blue Radish Straps....definitely worth checking out!
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

Latest project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest project   Latest project Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Pretty nice! very creative...and to me it is sorta a clean steampunk look! or nouveaux art deco haha!...Certainly a one of a kind! Well done!
Back to top Go down

Latest project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest project   Latest project Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 7:32 pm

very cool... but I'm a sucker for blue lume!

Back to top Go down

Latest project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest project   Latest project Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 7:40 pm

Orologio wrote:
very cool... but I'm a sucker for blue lume!

Me too, that's my favorite part of it. I have some more, not sure how to use it yet tho!
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

Latest project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest project   Latest project Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 8:56 pm

WOW! Just found this thread! Sweet build Chris!!!! Great job. Love the lume.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Latest project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest project   Latest project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Latest project
Page 1 of 1