The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"The Change-Up"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

"The Change-Up" Empty
PostSubject: "The Change-Up"   "The Change-Up" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 3:38 am

Being recently retired, I occasionally wander over to one the the three nearby movie-plexes for a little bargain matinee entertainment. Since today was the day our cleaning lady turns our house upside down, I decided it would be an excellent opportunity to catch one of the summer's film treats.

For reasons I won't detail here, I decided to go see "The Change-Up," the Jason Bateman/Ryan Reynolds "body switch" flick.

Not a good idea. While there were several scenes that were either hilarious or poignant, they fell woefully short of salvaging this tired redux of body-switching stories of movies past. This iteration is one part Freaky Friday, one part Big, and one part Caligula, with more than a dash of ridiculous characters (caricatures?) and unbelievable story lines.

Let me put it this way: the movie opens with Bateman getting blasted in the face and mouth by his pooping infant child. It went downhill from there.

I won't go into any more of the gory details, but if you're still thinking about going, read these reviews by the NY Times and Roger Ebert, whose opinions I share:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/movies/the-change-up-directed-by-david-dobkin-review.html?ref=movies

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110803/REVIEWS/110809994

A FAR better choice is the very engaging "Friends With Benefits," starring Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis. I've never been a big fan of Timberlake, but he does a great job in this winning relationship movie done with freshness and three-dimensional characters. "The Change-Up" 7395
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

"The Change-Up" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "The Change-Up"   "The Change-Up" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 9:27 am

Nice reviews Tom, maybe THAT is the retirement job you should take on!

Timberlake is HUGE right now and really made it out of the BOY BAND era well...

Associate
mrneddles

"The Change-Up" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "The Change-Up"   "The Change-Up" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 12:24 pm

I agree with the above review and would add that the nude scene in the movie wasn't even the real actress, it was CGI/computer enhanced. That is so far beyond lame that there isn't even a word for it.
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

"The Change-Up" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "The Change-Up"   "The Change-Up" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 1:09 pm

Anomaly wrote:
...Timberlake is HUGE right now and really made it out of the BOY BAND era well...
In the movie, he pokes fun of one of his old '90s songs, which was kinda funny.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

"The Change-Up" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "The Change-Up"   "The Change-Up" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 2:38 pm

Really great reviews Tom ! "The Change-Up" 46145 Some times it's hard picking what movies might be
good to see out there. Especially in the Summer when there is so much to choose
from. So thanks very much for your review once again, as well as your links here
too !

"The Change-Up" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "The Change-Up"   "The Change-Up" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"The Change-Up"
Page 1 of 1