The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV

Go down 
+3
andrema
merichar
SynMike
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Empty
PostSubject: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 1:59 am

I know, photos of the design came out MONTHS ago, but I don't visit Invicta's official forum much and hadn't seen this until now. And I'm sure we're all tired of talking about Invicta, so you don't have to keep reading, I totally understand. But I've been waiting with high expectations for this watch to come out, and just wanted to express my EXTREME disappointment.

Let me first say, I have a soft spot in my heart for Invicta. I would LIKE to see them successful at what I THOUGHT they were: great quality at killer value. I became interested in the brand, and watches in general, right around the release of the SANIII, and have been waiting to see the 4 ever since. I've slammed them time and time again for putting out DOZENS of variations of the SANIII instead of just releasing the SAN IV. As soon as the SAN Specialty (one of their best designs) came out, I said "why not just make THIS the IV?!?" But nooOOoo, they HAD to make it "Reserve" and give it a "special" name. My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_rolleyes But at least, I thought, the IV must be even better....

So finally, I found JS's photos of the upcoming SANIV here:
http://watchgeeks.net/showthread.php?t=31078

There's just nothing that impresses me. I've not seen one in person, so we're speaking pure aesthetics here...

To start, the perforated dial. Wake me up when this trend ends, but AT LEAST save it for one of the hundred variations which will follow! Why perforate the dial at all, especially if you're only seeing through to the date wheel, and little else?
The hands are pretty funky. Industrial forks holding undersized tritnite arrows. Too many pieces and no presence, certainly no "flow".
The bezel isn't too bad, but basically the same design as the III, with the addition of another lume barrell (?), now at each 1/4 around - adding bulk but not much functionality or shape.
The crown guard looks alright, but they ran out of ideas when they got to the pushers. Big blobs. Save those for the Lupahs, I say.
Bracelet looks cool, no complaints there. The center links are a little plain, and probably more so on other SS variations, but they work here so I'll be nice....

Please understand, I'm not trying to bash here. I'm just surprised that after all this time, THIS is the best Invicta could come up with for what could be called their flagship line, the SubAqua NOMA. If it were any other Invicta (and it very well could be) I wouldn't even think twice. But after 2 years of saying "oh, not another SANIII", wondering if Eyal and co. could count, and keeping high hopes that the SANIV would deliver, I had to say something about this.

What do you guys think? Please feel free to disagree!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 2:10 am

FYI - Link puts up log on screen and restricted banner.
Back to top Go down
SynMike
Senior Associate
SynMike

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 3:08 am

The SAN series have never interested me a lot. But I think I might like this one if it didn't have a perforated dial.

There is almost no chance I would put out the price on any Invicta over $150 these days. Well, not much chance at under $150 either, except maybe on a used one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 3:10 am

I completely agree Andrew, some very small changes from the previous SAN's, nothing to get excited about.
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 3:17 am

I have'nt seen any pics of the SAN IV, but if it has a perforated dial that would likely kill it for me. I can't say wether I like the design or not. Rest assured it will be overhyped and may even sell out initially but will be followed by a thousand variations at a lower price.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 6:21 am

My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Picture

My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Picture
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 8:00 am

Hahahaha, I like the no comment post Ron! As for the link, you have to be a member and sign on to see JS phenominal photography....meh! I actually think that Kenneth's photography blows JS away, but that's just IMHO. I refuse to sign on to WG to see pics of this watch as the meer mention of a perforated dial turns me off from the get go. I do agree with the fact that I have a soft spot in my head...er, that is HEART for the Invictas from several years ago that were of good quality for a reasonable price. They have left that business plan behind....again IMHO. So for me the SAN IV is a moot subject.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 9:33 am

Nope, Nope, Nope...just because of the sleeze factor

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:01 am

Hey Andrew, can't see the photos. I used to love my SANII and wore it often and proudly. I was mad when the SANIII came out and they made another model after the initial 1000 each of the chronos and 500 each of the three hand. Can you imagine my consternation when 30 something variants later, they are still pumping them out? Some can be had for under 200.00 bucks now. All quartz, all Flame Fusion, all junk in my opinion. To me, they are everything a diver is not. Small hands, busy unreadable dials, etc. Invictas last good watch in my opinion was the SANII, or possibly the original SANIII.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:15 am

I still like the SAIII, black dial, GMT, IMO best watch Invicta ever put out...

All the rest has all been said before...

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:48 am

I like a few of the styling cues, but it's not enough of a depareture from the III to command attention...and — apparently like most here — I just can't stand the aptly monickered "garlic press" sieve of a dial.....apparently, being able to quickly read the watch (i.e., what friggin' time is it?), is secondary any more...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:50 am

25or6to4 wrote:
I like a few of the styling cues, but it's not enough of a depareture from the III to command attention...and — apparently like most here — I just can't stand the aptly monickered "garlic press" sieve of a dial.....apparently, being able to quickly read the watch (i.e., what friggin' time is it?), is secondary any more...

Being able to read the time seems to not be important with Invicta or Renato. FUGLY Fashion Watches come to mind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 11:27 am

Perfectly stated!!

andrema wrote:
Nope, Nope, Nope...just because of the sleeze factor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 11:30 am

Couple of points:

1. No one here cares if the OP (or anyone else) bashes.
2. Invicta has destroyed the relative exclusivity of the SAN line - if you can call any Invicta exclusive.
3. The new SAN is nothing special - too similar to the old to create a wave.
4. I have no personal interest in SAN (other than a very general horological curiosity) since it is much, much too big for my taste.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 11:40 am

Not interested at all. I hate that perf dial nonsense. I have 2 Subaquas, a SAN ll 3-hand with the white dial and a SAN lll 3 hand all silvertone. Both clean simple and well made IMHO. All the many variants and incarnations killed it for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 12:32 pm

bodypeersur1 wrote:
Hahahaha, I like the no comment post Ron!

I actually posted two pics of the watch, I can see them.

I won't be buying one, but the next time I visit Duff I can look at his. My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 12:34 pm

barnbuilder1 wrote:
bodypeersur1 wrote:

I won't be buying one, but the next time I visit Duff I can look at his. My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_smile

Well they're invisible to me Bro. As for me ownin one...........NFW!!!! Again, not in reference to Brutha George.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 12:37 pm

bodypeersur1 wrote:
barnbuilder1 wrote:
bodypeersur1 wrote:

Well they're invisible to me Bro. As for me ownin one...........NFW!!!! Again, not in reference to Brutha George.

My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Lol My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Lol My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Lol so your not selling the Breitling to me to get one?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Very apt observation about Renato and Invicta styling, Mr. BP. These brands are really selling bracelets that tell time, not watches.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 12:54 pm

barnbuilder1 wrote:
bodypeersur1 wrote:
barnbuilder1 wrote:
bodypeersur1 wrote:

My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Lol My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Lol My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Lol so your not selling the Breitling to me to get one?

WOW, such a tempting offer Ron!!! I'll have to contemplate that one..NO!

boscoe wrote:
Very apt observation about Renato and Invicta styling, Mr. BP. These brands are really selling bracelets that tell time, not watches.

Do they really tell time? I haven't been able to figure out how to read them lately! I know their SUPPOSED to exhibit time in some FASHION but it's beyond me why you need all that My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV 500253 on the dial!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 3:58 pm

Can't read or see pics there man..but my guesstimation is , I'm taking a rain check Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:02 pm

It will keep the koolaid kids happy and they will add to there already way too many SA models! Give me a SAII, it was the only one they didnt over do!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:04 pm

This is like all the hideous incarnations of the "Excursion."
Spare me!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:08 pm

invicta: translated from the Greek, "None for me, thanks."
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:09 pm

I personally cannot wait to see Jim Skelton's next watch creation...a phoenix, a koi...the drunken bunny is next!

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:10 pm

the thing i dont get and is great for JS and EL is what compel's this people to keep buying every issue of this watch!! when is enough, enough?? My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_albino
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:12 pm

it could come with a free BJ coupon and I still wouldnt pay for it...did i really say that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:23 pm

cali kid wrote:
the thing i dont get and is great for JS and EL is what compel's this people to keep buying every issue of this watch!! when is enough, enough?? My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_albino

Don't you remember the great advertising pitch from TV:

"Be the first to collect 'em all, kids!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:09 pm

Sorry for just posting a link to WG. If you haven't seen the photography, it's the same as all his others - black background and super-shadows everywhere. The photography by members here far exceeds the creativity of anything coming from that place!

When going through the list of SANIII models, and other models that have been designed by a TV salesman who calls the shots just so he can like the way he looks on live TV, something occurs to me. I'm reminded of the day last summer when I met Leonid Khankin, the designer for Ernst Benz watches. Had a short but cool conversation with him of how he designs watches, from imagination to production, marketing, and sales. Maybe you don't like EB watches, but you have to admit, for the people that DO like them, they are diverse enough from each other but still follow overall design elements, trends, and themes. Not all-over-the-place "editions". IMO there's something to be said for watch companies who hone in on a niche and perfect it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:24 pm

I dug the SAIII enough to guy one, but since have traded it off. It was a nice watch, but one was enough for me, not sure why people buy 12 of them My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_scratch but to each his own. I don't recall what the SAIV looks like, I doubt I'll be rushing to the Shop storefront to purchase one, but who knows, maybe I'll pick up a used one down the road for $150 if it's a nice design.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:25 pm

How bout a pic for those of us who cant log in...LOL!

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:30 pm

To coin a phrase....

MEH
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Anomaly wrote:

Here y'go!
My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV User4_pic1742_1242532352
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:42 pm

[quote="FreeDive"]
Anomaly wrote:

Here y'go!

Alan, ya had to ask, huh? My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_mad My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:42 pm

[quote="FreeDive"]
Anomaly wrote:

Here y'go!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick of chronos BUT....gotta say, I would like to see the 3-hand version of this watch...

Not to sure about the crown guard...

Bracelet looks pretty cool...

Now, would you say the SAIIIs are ZENITH homages?

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV   My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My thoughts (and yours) on the upcoming Invicta SAN IV
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next