The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bond. But which Bond?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Bond.  But which Bond? Empty
PostSubject: Bond. But which Bond?   Bond.  But which Bond? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:44 am

No, I am not talking Connery vs. Craig - and certainly NOT Dalton or Moore. I'm talking about Bond NATO straps. Interesting thing is that the "Bond NATO" that appeared in Goldfinger isn't a NATO! Bond.  But which Bond? Icon_eek

Bond.  But which Bond? 2ljluv6

There is some controversy about the pattern that should be used for the fabric as well because the shots are old and not closeups. The traditional pattern is:
Bond.  But which Bond? Fake-Bond-NATO

However, more recent iterations include:
Bond.  But which Bond? NATO_BondL
Bond.  But which Bond? 100_3132

and they appear to be somewhat driven by enhanced photos like this from the Movie.
Bond.  But which Bond? Spd_20100227154033_b

So, what is the "Real" Bond NATO?

Well, first of all Bond did not wear a NATO as we know it today. The picture below shows that the strap Bond wore actually had a cloth keeper NOT the heavy metal associated with NATO straps today.
Bond.  But which Bond? 2ljluv6

Second the pattern used was not two-tone as has been popular over the past 2 decades now but rather a more elaborate pattern that seems to be a Regimental strap (pictured above) that has Dark Navy, Dark Olive and Burgundy stripes.

Bond.  But which Bond? Alias-real-bond-goldfinger-nylon-strap-297x300
Over the past couple of years several vendors have emerged, selling their version of what they believe to be the “Real” James Bond straps in various sizes, constructions and patterns. One of the best and most faithful reconstructions of the pattern are the Real Goldfinger James Bond straps sold by Aliasmarlow on eBay.

They seem to be the perhaps the best best mix between faithful authenticity and upgraded (if incorrect stricly speaking) features like a quality stainless steel buckle. The coloring of the nylon fabric seems to be among the most faithful to the “original,” pattern, and the one-piece design uses a self fabric keeper as pictured in the Bond movies. And at $25 in a variety of widths with free shipping, they’re also considerably cheaper than some of the other, less “correct” reproductions offered by other sellers.

Well, there's a lot more than could be said about this but only a Fanatic would want more about a bit of cloth in a movie nearly 50 years ago that held a watch on some Scottish actors wrist...... Wink
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Bond. But which Bond?   Bond.  But which Bond? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:34 am

Sorry, NATO straps do NOTHING for me personally...

PostSubject: Re: Bond. But which Bond?   Bond.  But which Bond? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:46 am

Anomaly wrote:
Sorry, NATO straps do NOTHING for me personally...

Not a big fan myself. But I saw a post elsewhere that was asking for a poll on which "real Bond NATO" to wear and that prompted me to write this up.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Bond. But which Bond?   Bond.  But which Bond? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Thanks for this insight Doc ! Bond.  But which Bond? Icon_smile Ya know what's funny ? I wasn't
even sure that the "Bond" Nato strap was actually related to
James Bond in any way !..I thought it might have something
to do with him, or the various movies. However, wasn't really
positive, so thanks for the info about this ! Bond.  But which Bond? 803574 ..Some of these
DO look alot like the "original" in that photo above !..Neat stuff !
Thank you !!!

PostSubject: Re: Bond. But which Bond?   Bond.  But which Bond? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:44 pm

AtomicTom wrote:
Thanks for this insight Doc ! Bond.  But which Bond? Icon_smile Ya know what's funny ? I wasn't
positive, so thanks for the info about this ! Bond.  But which Bond? 803574 ..Some of these
Thank you !!!

Welcome. Glad it was informative. If you want to know more all you have to do is Google Bond NATO and you'll get a flood. Some really in depth stuff out there for sure. If you want a NATO try DMH who has posted in the sale forum here before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bond. But which Bond?   Bond.  But which Bond? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:47 pm

Docrwm wrote:
If you want a NATO try DMH who has posted in the sale forum here before.

Tom, DMH is one of the links I pm'd you awhile back, and out of all the NATO's and Zulu's I have, the ones from David are the best, IMHO. Also the one that came on my Noah watch is very good, too.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Bond. But which Bond?   Bond.  But which Bond? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Docrwm wrote:
AtomicTom wrote:
Thank you !!!

Welcome. Glad it was informative. If you want to know more all you have to do is Google Bond NATO and you'll get a flood. Some really in depth stuff out there for sure. If you want a NATO try DMH who has posted in the sale forum here before.

porschefan wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
If you want a NATO try DMH who has posted in the sale forum here before.

Tom, DMH is one of the links I pm'd you awhile back, and out of all the NATO's and Zulu's I have, the ones from David are the best, IMHO. Also the one that came on my Noah watch is very good, too.

Thanks alot Doc, and Tim I appreciate it ! Bond.  But which Bond? Icon_biggrin ..I have the DMH link as well as others that Tim
sent. Bond.  But which Bond? Icon_cheers At some point I'm going to pick one up, that's for sure !..Thank you very much guys !!!

PostSubject: Re: Bond. But which Bond?   Bond.  But which Bond? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bond. But which Bond?
Page 1 of 1