The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need Winder help!

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:47 pm

So tryin to use the OTV Winder and it seems a few watches didnt maintain their full wind. I want to make sure i am using the right program before I send it back.

Here are the watches i have on there and the programs that the winder is capable of. Can you please tell me which program i should select for each?

Anonimo- 650 TPD Both direction
Anonimo- 650 TPD Both DIrection
SAN3- 800 TPD Clockwise

Programs:

1. CW 6, rest 30, Repeat
2. CCW 6, rest 30, repeat
3. CCW 20, rest 10, CW 20, rest 10, repeat
4. CW 10, CCW 10 lasting 3 hours, rest 9 hours, repeat cycle

SInce the Anons wind either direction and need 650 per day, I wound them all the way up and put them on setting 3...Seemed to loser power by the am down from full to about half or 3/4.

The SAN is set on 1 since the 7750 only winds one direction and neeeds 800 per day, it is running but cant tell how much power it has since there is no Power reserve on it.

The issue is I dont know how many Turns per day each of these programs actually give a watch.....HELP PLS!!
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:51 pm

My recollection is that winders maintain watches at 50-75% not at 100%, so if you are getting "about half or 3/4" then they are working fine. Open to being better informed here but that is what I've taken from all my reads and own experience in the past.
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:54 pm

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0>

<TR>
<td class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">
60 sec on, 12 min off
60 sec on, 15 min off
60 sec on, 18 off, then again in the other direction
60 sec on, 24 off
Thanks

</TD></TR></TABLE>
960 rpd
760 rpd
640 rpd
480 rpd
Approximately
Need Winder help! User_offline

. . .from this link . . . http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=2551237&mode=linear#post2551237
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:55 pm

it should have somewhere in the paperwork how many turns it gets! Call the manufacter, i would run the Anonimo's on #4 the others not sure if thats minutes they're talking about!! shopnbc goes to figure shitty directions, pm JS and he'll look into it!
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:58 pm

. . . maybe your settings here as well . . . http://www.orbita.net/pages/17101.htm

Last edited by randyswagon on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:00 pm

cali kid wrote:
it should have somewhere in the paperwork how many turns it gets! Call the manufacter, i would run the Anonimo's on #4 the others not sure if thats minutes they're talking about!! shopnbc goes to figure shitty directions, pm JS and he'll look into it!

Yeah i changed the aanons to 4 now so well see....As for the phone number....Its a disconnected number....then snbc gave me another number whicg is a wireless phone with a vmail box with a standard default greeting, no emntion of whos number i it is etc...FUCKING A....oops
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:02 pm

cali kid wrote:

ANd yes the numbers in my post are MINUTES
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:28 pm

That thing isn't going to wind anything. That angle is much too slight.

edit for spelling

Last edited by Aqua Homer on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Aqua Homer wrote:
That thing isn't going to wind anything. That angle is much to slight.

hope youre wrong....time will tell
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:48 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Aqua Homer wrote:

I actually have an el cheapo winder with about the same turntable angle for my wife's watches and they stay wound and are keeping good time. It used to keep my OG II diamond/meteor wound. I've heard the same as Doc, that they aren't meant to keep the watch wound at 100% but don't know as none of my watches have a power reserve function. I've found that my more expensive winder that is at 90 degrees won't handle heavy watches, ultimately eating up the drive gear because of the weight of the watch. Just my 2 cents from my experience with the 2 winders.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:50 pm

bodypeersur1 wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Aqua Homer wrote:

I actually have an el cheapo winder with about the same turntable angle for my wife's watches and they stay wound and are keeping good time. It used to keep my OG II diamond/meteor wound. I've heard the same as Doc, that they aren't meant to keep the watch wound at 100% but don't know as none of my watches have a power reserve function. I've found that my more expensive winder that is at 90 degrees won't handle heavy watches, ultimately eating up the drive gear because of the weight of the watch. Just my 2 cents from my experience with the 2 winders.

I don't put my watches on a winder. I wind them by hand when I put them on and go on with my day.
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:52 pm

bodypeersur1 wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Aqua Homer wrote:

Good point Duff. My winder which is horizontally laid out will not wind my heavier watches.
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:52 pm

weird as lets say the following;

If they arent meant to keep wound at 100% but rather will drop to say 75%, then once its at 75% wouldnt it then only wind to a fraction of that and so on and so on?
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:01 pm

Hmm, I just replied...it was there and now it isn't. Anyway, wouldn't the fact that the watch is busy keeping time compensate for that Eric?
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:07 pm

no clue I guess im sayin if a FULLY winded watch is left on the winder and it only gets to 75%, it seems that if you didnt wear it or wind by hand it would keep dropping? I just dont get it...I assumed if you put a full wound watch on it, they would keep near full.....Im perplexed ")
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:09 pm

In my pea-brain I'm thinking if it's only meant to keep the watch wound at 75%, the fact that the table only turns so many rotations will allow the watch to wind down from 100% because it's working, but not allow it to go below 75%. I could be totally off base here though....I am quite old you know! Need Winder help! Icon_pale
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:26 pm

you could be right...i just times the rotation and it does 8 spins per minute.....Wjere are the Fn math majors in this bitch?
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:28 pm

. . . my el cheapo 3 head, which only has control for CW,CCW,or both alternately, maintains the wind on my watches. I have no clue as to the cycle times. But I do know that my shake and bake Seikos will power UP from running in it.
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:35 pm

ericf4 wrote:
you could be right...i just times the rotation and it does 8 spins per minute.....Wjere are the Fn math majors in this bitch?

Hahaha, my sister is a math major but I wouldn't have any idea of what to tell her to get the answer..... Need Winder help! Icon_geek
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:02 pm

heres what i dont get, so my winders make 8 turns per minute...when you do the math wit the above diff cycles, it equates out to like 1000-1900 turns per day.......my watches only need 650 and 800 turns per day.....WHen i look on the net i see other winders with a low angle like mine also come in at high numbe of TPD while others like Orbita where its a 90 degree angle come in at 600-1000 TPD.

The question is will THAT many TPD kill my watches or is it that many TPD needed to make up for the fact that the winding head has a much smaller amount of angle to it???

I dont want to kill my watches...WHY IS THIS SO COMPLICATED??? F'n A
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:05 pm

I don't think you're going to kill em if their only showing 75% on he power reserve...no?
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:09 pm

It's simple math Eric. 1 degree of angle above 20 degrees is equal to 3.25 revolutions in a clockwise direction. 1 degree of angle above 20 degrees ie equal to 1.38 revolutions in a CCW direction. The threshold is at the 52 degree plane. Each degree after 52 degrees takes 3.25 minutes off your movements lifespan. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:10 pm

i hope you are F@CKING KIDDIN ME?
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:11 pm

ericf4 wrote:
i hope you are F@CKING KIDDIN ME?

I am, I'm at work and really want to get the fawk out of here today. Sorry Need Winder help! Icon_geek
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:15 pm

yous a bitch
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:19 pm

ericf4 wrote:
yous a bitch

fair enough, but...

I don't think you want your watch mechanisms wound to 100% PR ratings all the time. I don't believe that is good for them long term. Just think of the physical properties of the springs and such, you have to relieve that tension at some point, e.g. wearing them, letting them run down fully, etc.
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:20 pm

Winders can kill watches.
Unfortunately, I am not kidding.
Also, your watch may be too big, too heavy or at the wrong angle to winder.
Send it back and use the best winder on the planet - your fingers!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:22 pm

I personally don't like winders...

Only takes 30 seconds to wind and set...

Lubricants are so good today, viscosity is not an issue...

None of my SIT long enough now to worry about it any way...

Senior Associate
ericf4

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:25 pm

boscoe wrote:

Ive used the finger method all the way til now!!! I have heard that you cant overwind modern autos as they have a mechanism in place that wont allow that...is that even true?? Or hype?
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:26 pm

I thought I wanted to get into Winders and I was fortunate enough a while back to have 2 single Winders gifted to me. I used them for about 6 months maybe more and I put them away. Why? Because one sounded like a coffee grinder, and my watches always ran fast when in the winder so I had to reset the time anyway, so what was the point?

Eric, let me know after keeping your watches in those winders if they run fast or slow after a few days of being in there.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:27 pm

WatchNoob wrote:
I thought I wanted to get into Winders and I was fortunate enough a while back to have 2 single Winders gifted to me. I used them for about 6 months maybe more and I put them away. Why? Because one sounded like a coffee grinder, and my watches always ran fast when in the winder so I had to reset the time anyway, so what was the point?

Eric, let me know after keeping your watches in those winders if they run fast or slow after a few days of being in there.

I had similar experience when I had a winder, watches ALWAYS ran fast in winders...

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:28 pm

ericf4 wrote:
boscoe wrote:

Ive used the finger method all the way til now!!! I have heard that you cant overwind modern autos as they have a mechanism in place that wont allow that...is that even true?? Or hype?

Supposedly newer movements have waht they refer to as a clutch to protect the mainspring from being overwound. Have I taken apart a watch to find out if true? No
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:35 pm

i got 30 days so ill see how it goes etc...It seems the watches are staying wound and keeping time from yesterday almost 24 hrs ago....So welll see.

I have the Anons on a cycle now where they run for 3 hours, sleep for 9 hours, run 3hrs etc. That hopefully should be safe since they get a 9 hr sleep afte each run. well see
Back to top Go down

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:42 pm

With your kinda chedda, you should just pay Poli to come over and wind your watches every morning. Poli could be your WatchBoy-Toy.
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:48 pm

thats very sensible...good call.....Cheddar huh, more like rotten limburger.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need Winder help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Winder help!   Need Winder help! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need Winder help!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next