The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advice sought.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Advice sought. Empty
PostSubject: Advice sought.   Advice sought. Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 6:45 pm

Haven't ever done a trade before for a watch. Odd, but I've either bought outright or sold.

So, I've offered to trade a guy for a watch he has up as either FSOT. Any advice on things to watch out for or do from the more seasoned traders among us?

Thanks,

-R
Back to top Go down

Advice sought. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice sought.   Advice sought. Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 7:59 pm

Make him take a picture of the watch with a preset time on the face that you send him and he must post it within an hour or two. This insures he has the watch and that you see the condition of it today and not from some picture he took 6 months ago. Also, check his trade references....has he dealt with others on this forum or other forums....did those transactions go well. Know what he is shipping you, box, papers, links....don't assume.
Back to top Go down
ramirez1970
Associate
ramirez1970

Advice sought. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice sought.   Advice sought. Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm sure that you've already checked references, etc. I'd recommend actually speaking to the other person on the phone prior to fully committing to a potential deal, particularly if the watch/watches have any real monetary value. In addition, I always stipulate a 2 to 3 day "review" period, after watches are received. If during that time, either person is not happy with the deal for any reason, the watches can be returned.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

Advice sought. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice sought.   Advice sought. Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 9:35 pm

I've done two trades, both were perfect. Both watches were under $200. Not sure what your limit is but I was comfortable with that. Both times I asked that we send watches at the same time and produce tracking number and proof of insurance. For me it's easy because I have Stamps.com and can produce a tracking number just by processing the package and not actually sending it. Once I have thier number I go ahead and send it.

Advice sought. Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

Advice sought. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice sought.   Advice sought. Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks guys. This would be a $8-900 value in trade - hopefully 1:1. Seems the fellow is selling it instead Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

Advice sought. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice sought.   Advice sought. Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 10:14 pm

to bad hes selling,but the suggestions are good in this thread.Trades are easy with people you know.With low post count unkowns,
1st thing is a land line to a physical address.You need to be able to talk with them and verifiy the address.
Thats better than references.Also only trade within the conus.Both ship at the same time.If the other party says they missed the ship date,
make sure you send it with a way to have it intercepted during shipping.If the member is really new,require them to send their watch 1st
to verify the watch.If they say no,it was a scam to begin with.Another thing about doing trades with unknowns is them posting the
watch and saying the warranty card is open.This really means its gray market.I did a trade last year with a known member who sent
an aqua terra that had dirt visible in the movement.I guess he hoped I wouldn't notice that it was a gray market buy plus a refurb.
if anything bugs you about the deal,then walk away.your 1st feeling about the deal is usually right.
Also condition ratings plays a big role.Some use the tz scale without knowing what it really is.if the photos are blurry, thats another
indicator of a bad deal.
Back to top Go down

Advice sought. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice sought.   Advice sought. Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 10:18 pm

Thanks Sean. I know you've sold and traded a lot and I appreciate the insights.

I've put it up as a WTT here and may elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Advice sought. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice sought.   Advice sought. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice sought.
Page 1 of 1