The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue

Go down 
+3
Anomaly
AtomicTom
andrema
7 posters
AuthorMessage
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue Empty
PostSubject: Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue   Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 12:00 am

So, I have been buying watches like a drunken sailor for the past couple of years....I have accumulated a lot of great watches over the past few year, many that I thought would take years to find and buy. What I haven't done is take the time to enjoy these watches and to appreciate them. This brings me to today...

This afternoon, I bought yet another watch... I will give more details later, after it is delivered. Almost immediately after I made that payment, the thought came over me of what can I do to stop and take the time to enjoy what I already have...then the answer came to me. I have enough money set aside to buy one more watch, a Rolex Sub C. So I go back to my online bank account and schedule a payment that clears out my entire watch account (around $8,000).

So after I hit submit, I lean back in my chair to take to time to appreciate what I just did. The payment that I made was a transfer of two equal amounts...to my kids 529 plans. I figured that this was the only way that I could force myself to stop and "smell the roses". I will definitely have my Rolex in the next few years, but it is time for me to take a rest from "the hunt" for a while and enjoy my watches as well as our hobby more.

That's it...thanks for listening!

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue   Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Very very COOL Mark ! Smile Cool Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue 46145

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue   Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 6:13 pm

MARK...

Good for you man!

I REALLY AND TRULY think this hobby turns into a "capture, kill, thrill...repeat" cycle rather than just ENJOYING the GREAT watches we already have...

ENJOY DUDE!

Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue   Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 6:49 pm

Excellent strategy, Mark. I've been going the other direction, though. I've sold several of my watches and now have a "war chest" built up to buy a vintage GMT-Master TT. I'm on the hunt! Made an offer three days ago but it had just been sold. Drat!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue   Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 12:41 am

Nice move, Mark.

I too took a step back. I sold around 30 watches. All of the proceeds are in reserve for the family.

I no longer want to buy watches. Just love wearing what I have.

Good to hear it from someone else.

Talk to you guys soon,
Mark
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue   Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 2:09 am

good going Mark,
the watches will always be there when we want one, never be in a hurry to get another.

Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue   Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 5:27 pm

Nice to read the above posts , as I too am in this kind of mode. Got over 30 watches now...the last was a vintage Seiko 7A38 for $95usd and before that my Omega quartz Bond present to myself.

Am tired of the buy THRILL cycle hahaha! I have been holding back on the Rolex GMT pepsi ! Seems we guys have the same idea hehehe!

Tell me...please....why do some of us choose the Rolex as a 'last' buy watch??? I'm kinda conflicted on Rolex....emotionally I love the look of the pepsi GMT of the 60s and 70s, but some guys think Rolex watches are overrated for the price....Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue   Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting thing just happened to me...out of the blue
Page 1 of 1