The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

so many Seikos to choose from . . .

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

so many Seikos to choose from . . . Empty
PostSubject: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:32 am

Well and truly caught up in the Seiko fever here. Spent most of the evening cruising the web looking at the endless selection of offerings Seiko has available. Like the Seiko 5's, like the auto diver's, love the mods, love the kinetics . . . . Really kind of like this, don't own an orange dial, anyone own this model, any input???

so many Seikos to choose from . . . SKX011J-P

. . . borrowed pic , , ,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:34 am

wow, very cool randy! the bracelet is sweet!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 6:52 am

Good choice! That one runs on Seiko's most common automatic movement, the 7s26. It's automatic winding, with no handwind or hack capability, meaning that the seconds hand doesn't stop when you pull out the crown.

That one is also part of Seiko's most popular Dive watch series, the SKX series, which has a black model (SKX007) a Pepsi version (SKX009), a yellow version (SKXA35), a block indice version (SKX173), and a few other less popular variants. A great thing about these is that they have a greater and wider nselection of custom mod parts available for them than ANY other watch available today, with parts for these currently being made by a few companies, including Noah Fuller's 10watches.com This of course means that if you get the watch, and get bored with it, the possibilities for change are next to endless.
This is a ISO rated 200M dive watch as well, with a screw-down crown, hefty gaskets, and a uni-directional 120 click bezel. The crystal is a thick hardlex, and is bevelled at the edges, which in my eyes is pretty attractive.

NOW..for THIS model in particular, some find that the gold colored hands get lost on the dial a bit, and one of the most common mods for this one that people often choose to do right off the bat is the switch out the hands for a set of black outlined "Knight" hands, or "Samurai" hands from another one of Seiko's popular models, and also to switch out the gold insert to one with more classic silver text.

Here is a pic of that mod, as taken by Kelly M. Rayburn, a prolific member of another very popular forum, the PMWF...

so many Seikos to choose from . . . Kellysorange

Any more questions that I can answer for you on this model, then I'd be happy to help out...I, as well as my good friend Noah have worked on litterally hundreds of these, so know 'em inside and out. Wink

Take 'er easy, and keep yer stick on the ice!

Jake B

randyswagon wrote:
Well and truly caught up in the Seiko fever here. Spent most of the evening cruising the web looking at the endless selection of offerings Seiko has available. Like the Seiko 5's, like the auto diver's, love the mods, love the kinetics . . . . Really kind of like this, don't own an orange dial, anyone own this model, any input???

so many Seikos to choose from . . . SKX011J-P

. . . borrowed pic , , ,
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 10:25 am

GREAT review Jake!

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 10:54 am

Nice watch and great info Jake!
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 11:09 am

correction: so many Seikos from which to choose

That bracelet looks VERY good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 12:05 pm

I haven't seen this Mod before. I could tell right away it was from the 007/009 family with an upgraded bracelet. I love the looks and have actually been keeping an eye out for the SKXA35, but hardly ever see a great sale on that model (yellow dial). Happy hunting. Thanks for the review Jake.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 12:12 pm

The SKX011 is a "classic" Seiko diver. Classic in the sense that it was released back in the mid 90's so its size and shape are consistent with that era and still current today (but loosing ground to the trendy BIG divers).

As Jake said the dial is different that that of the Monsters. The shade on the SKX011 is a little "oranger" and the indicies are lumed with a thin black outline. The hands (hour/minute) are gold framed, and the second hand is a meatball. The bezel insert is black with gold tone numerals. This whole combo is unique to the SKX011...no other Seiko or other brand watch looks like it.

Again, as was said, many choose to change out the hands for something more visible (black framed hands work great) and change the bezel insert (traditional black with silver numerals look great). The great thing about the 011 is that it shares all the same parts with the great 007/009 and other Seikos. Swap out the hands and bezel with something less gold (Black Knight hands or Orange Samurai like hands) if you want or just go crazy in modding it and you have one of the widest arrays of choices but there for nearly any watch.

Here is one from WUS that is on a Super Oyster, has had the hands swapped out and the bezel has been changed.

so many Seikos to choose from . . . IMG_0442
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 12:35 pm

Hmm, so this is actually the SKX011, a production model? I had no idea this model existed. Is it still in production or is a retired model? Good info, thanks Doc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 1:21 pm

I suggest the Sumo, if you can wear a 45 mm watch.
Amazing fit, finish, lume and accuracy. One of my all-time faves of any brand. Sold mine simply because it was too big. Ranks very close to Omega in quality of finish
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 1:40 pm

I just wished seiko would make the 6309-7040 series case again, with watches getting bigger it's just an awesome case!! would love to see a tuna modded with an automatic movement!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 1:48 pm

You can't go wrong with an SKX Seiko.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 1:51 pm

I was wearing my 007 the other day and wondering if I actually don't like it even more that the Monsters. I just love the pure simplicity and styling of this line. It's a great size, it's clean, it looks great on the wrist, what more can you ask? The lume is great, but being an older model you can naturally expect that it fades out faster. I know this one will not be the last in the series for me personally. Like I said, the SKX035 is another great model in the line that I would love to own.

If anyone has any in model in this line and isn't happy wants to sell or trade, let me know.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 2:28 pm

Randy, did you hear back from the Seller yet on this one? Good luck, it's a great looker.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 2:44 pm

Pretty funny Randy, I've been doing the same thing the past few days.
I've been eyeing these:
so many Seikos to choose from . . . Sei-skx175 SKX175
so many Seikos to choose from . . . Sei-skxa35 SKXA35

photos from mydivewatch.com
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 3:06 pm

porschefan wrote:
I've been eyeing these:

The jubilee bracelet on the 009 is very comfortable. It is light and flexible. Yes it has folded links and hollow end links, but a watchadoo can be purchaced if you need heft.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 3:31 pm

The bracelet does look very high quality. I do like the orange dial and offset crown as well. I do not own a Seiko diver. I've got a kinetic and one quartz chrono. I am very interested in this model as it would give me a dial color that I don't have and a diver from Seiko. Thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks, Poli, good to know. I'm leaning towards the A35 (no yellow in my collection, plenty of blue, though). I'd probably look at a watchadoo alternate.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Randy..I do not own this watch..but it looks phenomenal
to be honest !..First of all the orange is spectacular on this
watch or any watch for that matter ! so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_biggrin That color on the
bezel is excellent as well, because it helps set off the dial
in an extremely impressive way. The markers and hands are
simply perfect for this watch..while the bracelet only adds
to the perfection. IMHO..it seems like you can't go wrong
with this watch Randy !..Have fun looking and enjoy !

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 5:03 pm

Jake B wrote:
Good choice! That one runs on Seiko's most common automatic movement, the 7s26. It's automatic winding, with no handwind or hack capability, meaning that the seconds hand doesn't stop when you pull out the crown.

That one is also part of Seiko's most popular Dive watch series, the SKX series, which has a black model (SKX007) a Pepsi version (SKX009), a yellow version (SKXA35), a block indice version (SKX173), and a few other less popular variants. A great thing about these is that they have a greater and wider nselection of custom mod parts available for them than ANY other watch available today, with parts for these currently being made by a few companies, including Noah Fuller's 10watches.com This of course means that if you get the watch, and get bored with it, the possibilities for change are next to endless.
This is a ISO rated 200M dive watch as well, with a screw-down crown, hefty gaskets, and a uni-directional 120 click bezel. The crystal is a thick hardlex, and is bevelled at the edges, which in my eyes is pretty attractive.

NOW..for THIS model in particular, some find that the gold colored hands get lost on the dial a bit, and one of the most common mods for this one that people often choose to do right off the bat is the switch out the hands for a set of black outlined "Knight" hands, or "Samurai" hands from another one of Seiko's popular models, and also to switch out the gold insert to one with more classic silver text.

Here is a pic of that mod, as taken by Kelly M. Rayburn, a prolific member of another very popular forum, the PMWF...

Any more questions that I can answer for you on this model, then I'd be happy to help out...I, as well as my good friend Noah have worked on litterally hundreds of these, so know 'em inside and out. Wink

Jake B

. . . thanks for the awesome review and solid recommendation on this model Jake!!! Love having you having here. I understand that this may be "Japan Model" , having the orange chapter ring, versuses the "Malay Models" . . . . would that be correct?

Also, love your stick on the ice sign off . . . . I come from a big hockey family, my grand-father was an early NHLer and PCL player . . . Joe Jerwa.

Thanks again Jake. . . .

PoliMalaka wrote:

. . . . Good grammar is so important. Thank you Poli, after all I would'nt want to be "band" or such . . . . . lol!

Docrwm wrote:
The SKX011 is a "classic" Seiko diver. Classic in the sense that it was released back in the mid 90's so its size and shape are consistent with that era and still current today (but loosing ground to the trendy BIG divers).

As Jake said the dial is different that that of the Monsters. The shade on the SKX011 is a little "oranger" and the indicies are lumed with a thin black outline. The hands (hour/minute) are gold framed, and the second hand is a meatball. The bezel insert is black with gold tone numerals. This whole combo is unique to the SKX011...no other Seiko or other brand watch looks like it.

Again, as was said, many choose to change out the hands for something more visible (black framed hands work great) and change the bezel insert (traditional black with silver numerals look great). The great thing about the 011 is that it shares all the same parts with the great 007/009 and other Seikos. Swap out the hands and bezel with something less gold (Black Knight hands or Orange Samurai like hands) if you want or just go crazy in modding it and you have one of the widest arrays of choices but there for nearly any watch.

Here is one from WUS that is on a Super Oyster, has had the hands swapped out and the bezel has been changed.

. . . . thank you Doc, always glad to have your trusted opinion on the "Revered Seiko Mark". I will go after this model heavily. . .

WatchNoob wrote:
Randy, did you hear back from the Seller yet on this one? Good luck, it's a great looker.

.. . . just checked for a PM, no word. It's listed at WUS

porschefan wrote:
I've been eyeing these:

. . . . It's kind of crazy isn't it, we all got the bug. For me it's the quality, variety and relatively low cost associated with the Japan brands. It is to the point that I am actually going to sell off a few of my lower end pieces, something totally out character for me. I generally never sell anything . . . . . Pack-Rat and damned proud of it. . . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 7:45 pm

Glad to help. You really can't go too far wrong with the 7s26-0020 models (first # is movement and second # is the case model). 007/009 and the American variants. Great bargains too.

Can't wait to see what you decide on getting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:31 am

. . .still waiting for a reply from the seller. Gonna sit back and watch a film, I'll check him later. Hope it hasn't sold, if it has I'll chase it elsewhere . . . all part of the fun you know!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Thanks, guys....my pleasure!   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:15 pm

randyswagon wrote:
Jake B wrote:

Jake B

. . . thanks for the awesome review and solid recommendation on this model Jake!!! Love having you having here. I understand that this may be "Japan Model" , having the orange chapter ring, versuses the "Malay Models" . . . . would that be correct?

Also, love your stick on the ice sign off . . . . I come from a big hockey family, my grand-father was an early NHLer and PCL player . . . Joe Jerwa.

Thanks again Jake. . . .

PoliMalaka wrote:

. . . . Good grammar is so important. Thank you Poli, after all I would'nt want to be "band" or such . . . . . lol!

Docrwm wrote:

. . . . thank you Doc, always glad to have your trusted opinion on the "Revered Seiko Mark". I will go after this model heavily. . .

WatchNoob wrote:

.. . . just checked for a PM, no word. It's listed at WUS

porschefan wrote:
I've been eyeing these:

. . . . It's kind of crazy isn't it, we all got the bug. For me it's the quality, variety and relatively low cost associated with the Japan brands. It is to the point that I am actually going to sell off a few of my lower end pieces, something totally out character for me. I generally never sell anything . . . . . Pack-Rat and damned proud of it. . . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:19 pm

randyswagon wrote:
. . .still waiting for a reply from the seller. Gonna sit back and watch a film, I'll check him later. Hope it hasn't sold, if it has I'll chase it elsewhere . . . all part of the fun you know!!!

Randy, Very nice Avatar. Any chance of a bigger shot?
so many Seikos to choose from . . . 26-60
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 2:03 pm

...so I chose this one Saturday night.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 2:15 pm

porschefan wrote:
...so I chose this one Saturday night.

Nice choice. I'll be interested in your impressions of the Yellowness of the dial. I've thougth about getting a yellow but after my OrientUSA experience with one ....well, I'll look forward to hearing what you think of your 35!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 2:17 pm

I LOVE the looks of this one Randy! I need an orange dial myself and this looks good to me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: so many Seikos to choose from . . .   so many Seikos to choose from . . . Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

so many Seikos to choose from . . .
Page 1 of 1